We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks to all

Boston Ma
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks to all

Although this is my first post on this forum, it's not my first on this site. I have been checking in every once in a while, for my wife and I will be on island for our first visit in late April.

We have been to 18 other islands in the Caribbean, some two,three, and four times. Others, once was enough.

I am saddened by what seems to be a sudden spike in violent crimes reported on Provo. I'm wondering if it is something that has been there all along and not reported on, or if it is a couple of bandits that came on island and are stirring things up. I had not heard anything about crime this serious, and having read about the hospitable nature of the people who live there, I am sure they are also very concerned.

This is one of the only places that we havn't been to that we really wanted to visit. We were in Curacao for the first time in January and loved it. We combined that with our third visit to Aruba.

I will not be detered by the recent reports, but am thankfull that I have been informed and will use this knowledge to be aware of where I am while visiting. I visited St. Maarten in Sept. for the fourth time, and thanks to reports on thier forums, I was aware of the dangers of going to the top of Pic Paradis. It didn't stop me from wanting to take in the view so up we drove. That is a somewhat unnerving drive, for it is one car width wide for most of it. Upon arrival, I thought about how I would park the Jeep for a quick exit if necessary, and after a few minutes being up there by ourselves, and hearing people rustling around in the bushes down the trail, we decided it might be a good idea to leave. We had no problems but if you've ever been there you would be wary of someone being there without any known means of transportation, hanging out in the bushes. With no other cars or people to be seen, and after reading reports of men with macheties robbing people, we thought it was prudent to leave.

I am 6'-1" 280 lbs. and will have at it with anybody , but I don't carry a gun on vacation, so I take precautions. Unarmed against a weapon is not a fair fight, and I will not endanger my wife trying to be a hero.

So I am thankfull for all information, be it good or bad. I can make my own decisions based on mine and others experiences. You get a feeling for a place once you've been there for awhile, and from all I've heard, from my friends who return time after time, to the posts I've read here, I'm expecting to get a good feeling being on island in about a month from now. I will tell you about that when I return. In the mean time I will continue to monitor this forum.

Can't wait to get on the soft sand of Grace Bay. Thanks to all, Scott

Providenciales
Level Contributor
632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks to all

Oh good God. Here we go again.

1st ever post here, and it's about crime and how he is "saddened by the sudden spike in violent crime in Provo"

It is this sweeping generalizations and exaggerations that I find intolerable!

Anyone who can run a google search is now an expert on the crime stats in TCI? They know what constitutes a "spike"?

I am tired, tired, tired of this. If you don't have a legitimate question about travel in the TCI, or something to offer someone looking for advice please keep it to yourself.

We can all run a google search find the news, thank you.

It seems to me that we have people coming here who have an ulterior motive - because certainly no one who loves TCI would make it a point to pound on a horse that has long since died at the expense of the name of TCI.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks to all

:whisper: Never heard Nancy Grace yell about TCI. Just sayin' :whisper:

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks to all

lullman1, thanks for posting, and welcome to the T&C forum.

Where are you staying?

Have you planned any excursions?

Any dining or activity recommendations needed?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanks to all

I hope you have a wonderful vacation, Scott!

New York
Level Contributor
211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanks to all

WOW!!!! I realize it is important to be inform but this is extreme. I also have been to many islands, Aruba,Saint Thomas, Saint John, Grand Cayman, Mexico, Anguilla, Saint maartin etc..... I personally LOVE Provo and will be returning again for my second time this year. Maybe its because i am from NY. No matter where we go as relax as we are we just take precautious measures. I feel REALLY bad for the victims and yes we should be aware of the crimes but its excessive. I have checked this forum everyday for a couple years now and i NEVER seen so many posts on this topic. Quite depressing......

I love Provo and dream of it daily... Cant wait to go home.....

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
747 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanks to all

Hey Scott,

Do you know what Sustainable tourism is? I'm still so confused!

Beverly...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanks to all

Scott - will you adopt me?

Boston Ma
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanks to all

Well, This certainly runs the gammit of responses. I'll take them in order.

S Reefer, Exactly what is your "question about travel in the TCI" or your "advise to others" that you say would be the only acceptable reasons for posting? Are you saying that this latest string of problems is an everyday occurance, or would it be considered a spike? enough with that.

Desi, Thanks for the welcome. We are staying at the Regent Grand. Just a three day surprise getaway, so plan on relaxing and exploring.

Thanks Linda.

Dido, dido

Deck, A sustainable tourist has no job and a trust fund.

PB Sorry ,I have two kids, both in college, and I'm enjoying being an empty nester.

Thanks all.

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
438 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanks to all

lullman, I find nothing offensive about your post, at all. This is the first you've said anything (unlike certain others), and it's within your right to say what's on your mind. I think you have a very normal and reasonable attitude about it.

Judging from your description, I doubt anyone would mess with you!

Have a great trip and tell us all about it when you get back.

gtp. :)

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanks to all

Have a nice time. I'm sure you will.. you sound like you prepare for all your vacations to make them most memorable.

Have Fun and welcome to the forum. :-)