We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AGAIN - Crime near Ports of Call

The Villages...
Level Contributor
941 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
AGAIN - Crime near Ports of Call

We are scheduled to arrive at OCW on June 10. We are still hearing reports of crime in the area, especially by the Ports of Call where the locals hang out. We really do not want to cancel the trip at this late date, but OCW is directly across from POC. We planned on walking there, the new IGA, the liquor store, and other places right near there. Not renting a car. We don't feel safe doing that now and do not want to be stuck on the resort grounds the whole time, as beautiful as Grace Bay is. But, we read about muggings, etc. What is going on there? We were so looking forward to this trip and being back on T&C, but we are having second and third thoughts now. Is there security at OCW walking the grounds? How safe is the shuttle to OCE? Has anyone been there recently, like the last few weeks? HELP..... We even emailed OCW and asked but they have not replied. Hmmmmmm.....

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AGAIN - Crime near Ports of Call

What do you mean "Again" and where did you read this?

Beverly...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AGAIN - Crime near Ports of Call

we just got back 3 weeks ago from staying 12 days at ocw and felt completely safe and had no security issues...visited ports of call and the iga and lots of spots on grace bay road with no concerns...if you are walking in the daytime i'd not even think twice about it...

no worries...shuttle is completely safe and run by ocean club resorts...

our local friends were always stopped before entering the grounds and then our room was called to say that so and so was coming to visit and ask us if that was okay...so i wouldn't worry...

if you choose not to go it's your loss...i'd go back tomorrow if i had the chance...i'd live there tomorrow if i had the chance...

The Villages...
Level Contributor
941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AGAIN - Crime near Ports of Call

Laura, did you visit Ports of Call at night, walking there? Also, did OCW have security on the grounds 24 hours a day? My husband wants to visit the gym every morning at 5AM. It will be dark then, will he be safe?

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AGAIN - Crime near Ports of Call

Well said Justlaura. I feel the same as you do.

20aruba05, honestly if I were you I would not cancel my vacation. I was just visiting 3 weeks ago also and if I felt unsafe in any way I would never encourage anyone to travel to Provo.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and please tell us about it when you return.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AGAIN - Crime near Ports of Call

TCILover: check out the weekly newspaper www.tcweeklynews.com and look at the article on crime and then the replies after the article. It was the May 8, 2009 paper.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AGAIN - Crime near Ports of Call

Thanks 20Aruba05...it's the old article that was disussed here last week and the week before with over 100 posts, not "AGAIN" !

Mike and I were on Island last month and also this past January and never felt unsafe, do not cancel your trip. As everyone says , be smart .

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: AGAIN - Crime near Ports of Call

Ocean Club West and every other resort where we've stayed on Provo have always had night-time security on the grounds.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AGAIN - Crime near Ports of Call

Did any of you who have visited recently walk around at night? Like say walk from the Sands to Ports of Call or any of the other restaurants in close proximity to the Sands?

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
438 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AGAIN - Crime near Ports of Call

I agree with everyone about definitely not canceling over this. Oh my goodness, you have no idea what you'd be missing!

And about "locals" hanging out at POC...I'd say it's just as much a tourist place to shop/eat. And please do not travel and be afraid of "locals". They are the island much more than we tourists are.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AGAIN - Crime near Ports of Call

Good question, MuyLinda23. Has anyone walked that around there at night? Back and forth from the restaurants?