We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Punta Cana lovers out there?

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Any Punta Cana lovers out there?

Trying to get a girls week together for 6 of us and I want to explore other options beside TCI.

A few girls are asking me to research Punta Cana because it is fairly less expensive. It's hard to look at resorts with an open mind and I hate to even breath the words "All inclusive." : )

I like the look of Punta Cana Resort and Club and the price is 40% off for an Anniversary Special. (Only breakfast included) Any other ideas that are AI?

Thanks so much!

Stinky, New Jersey...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Punta Cana lovers out there?

Hi ajax.

I have been to Punta Cana only once. The resorts are a great deal and honestly a good bang for your buck. We stayed at Ocean Blue but did spend a bit of time at the Punta Cana Resort. My husband played golf there, and afterwards the group went to the clubhouse for some drinks and snacks. I honestly would not direct a group for a girls week at that resort.

Depending on what you like research the islands. We decided on Turks and Caicos because of the beautiful water and evryone I know that has been there absolutely loved it.

Good luck and really every Caribbean island has something special about it IMO.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Punta Cana lovers out there?

I've been to plenty of islands that are known for AIs. Disclaimer, I'm not a huge AI lover, so take my recs with a grain of salt.

Funny thing about Punta Cana for me: my pictures are just as gorgeous as postcards, but in real life it's not quite as nice! Where as other places are backwards: Anguilla and T&C are nicer than any picture.

I've had a good time in PC. I had bad luck with the food: I truly think it's the worse in the Caribbean. My tummy grumbled for a week after returning, as did 1/2 the airplane's. there are lots of palm trees, which I love, and Altons De Chavon is really cool. Overall, my opinion, is PC is a stay put in the resort all week kind of place. I'm an explorer, and I did explore, but I'm also fluent in Spanish, which really helps in DR. The resort we stayed was very pretty. (Sunscape)

What time of year are you going? As for AIs, I actually enjoyed Club Med San Salvador, Bahamas. It was a gorgeous resort, STUNNING beach, good snorkeling, and excellent food. Not much to do though, other than getting to know other Club Meders (I made up a word), which is actually kinda fun.

I always feel Mexico is a great place for Ais. It has something for everyone, and good prices. You could explore Mayan ruins, or read a book on the beach. Food is good. Just watch out for the tequilla!

Justlaura just returned from an AI in Mexico, I think the tulum, Playa area--and she loved it. Hopefully she'll chime in!

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,862 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Punta Cana lovers out there?

Ajax,

Never been to Punta Cana, but Dash was looking for something less expensive than TCI, yet still nice for a company paid rewards trip in January and we ended up at Riviera Maya at Zoetry, an all inclusive, boutique resort/ spa:

http://www.zoetry-la-bonita.com/index.htm

Flying out of Newark direct to Cancun, Zoetry includes airport transfers plus meals and drinks that look pretty high end for a relatively reasonable price.

Not sure about the whole twin beds issue, but it may be worth a look since you are looking for "posh".

Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Punta Cana lovers out there?

This website is more helpful for Zoetry:

www.zoetryresorts.com/Paraiso/index.html

The place looks beautiful and the reviews are excellent. It is also not on a beach lined up with mammoth resorts.

Are you planning on going after January? If so, I can let you know how it was first hand.

Lakeville...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Punta Cana lovers out there?

The Zoetry is amazing but NOT CHEAP.

From boston that is going to cost you close to 3K per person AI. Now,compared to Provo, cheap.

But for Mexico statndards, very expensive

I have also been to the DR and was not a fan, and we all got sick. I think Provo and DR are TOTALLY dffferent types of vacations. If the girls want night life and party, not Provo. If you want great dining, great beaches and just a beautiful relaxing time, Provo is your place.

Just my 2 cents.

Kim

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,862 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Punta Cana lovers out there?

Compared to others in Mexico I agree it is not cheap. however comparing what you get for the money it is very good. All the rooms are suites and beachfront, food reviews are amazing compared to other AI's, wine list is very good, and their Endless Privileges concept takes the experience beyond your normal AI. The beach is also very private and you are not in a row of resorts.

Zoetry is not cheap (you are looking for posh), but it is a great value for high end.

Lakeville...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Punta Cana lovers out there?

well said Joe..I agree.

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Punta Cana lovers out there?

Zoetry looks great. It seems to have that posh thing, good food and a nice beach. I like the idea of exploring safely or reading a book on the beach. I will call and get a price.

I think maybe Punta Cana is not the way to go, who wants to go to a place where 98% of the people get sick?

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Dash, we will go after January, so let us know how you liked Zoetry.

Lakeville...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Punta Cana lovers out there?

Other choices for posh would be

-Le Blanc

-Valentin

-Secrets Silver Sand

-Iberostar Grand

-Secrets Maroma

All vary about 2-300 dollars from each other and have their own pros and cons.

Good luck

Kim

Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Punta Cana lovers out there?

Hey Kim,

I did a quick check on Expedia (Hotel & Flight combo) to Zoetry using one week Sat-Sat in January and it came out $2076/person.

Beachfront suites, all meals & drinks.

Get answers to your questions about Turks and Caicos