We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report of new restaurants Plus Grand Turk

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
trip report of new restaurants Plus Grand Turk

Just returned from 2 weeks in T&C. Please feel free to ask questions, I'm always happy to answer them.

Weather: Terrible!!! In 15 years of going, never have I seen it bad. 14 days of wind, grey skies, chilly--Yuck! the sun did come out for 3 of them. All it did was make me want to go back down to make up for it! I know how glorious it can be!

Stayed at West Bay Club. I cannot say enough good things about it. Gorgeous, stunning resort, terrific manager. We had a 2 bedroom, and it was decorated they way I like, Tommy Bahama type furniture. Nice big plasma tvs, big balcony. I have to rave about the bed: it is bar none, the most comfortable bed i've been on. You know how when you return home from a trip you get that "It's good to be in your own bed feeling"? Well not this time. My own bed is just not as nice anymore.......They served watermelon at the pool and beach in the mornings, and it included a small but adequet breakfast. WBC is luxurious and quiet, has a nice gym, beautiful pool. It sits on a wide stretch of Grace Bay, and walking distance to snorkeling--not that I snorkeled, the water wasn't very nice this time! 8-(

Food:

Lemon: really good, but off the beaten path for tourists. If I were a tourist for the first time, driving back there in the dark would make me hesitate. Glad we didn't food was good and different. TIP: If ordering chicken satay (delicious by the way) order 2 appetizers

--you get 4 chicken sticks for less than entree. Entree comes with 2, some rice and a cucumber salad (delicious!) but too much for just the rice and salad if you know what I mean-so order as appts. My hubby ate the fish, he said it was spicy and different.

Thai Orchid: did carry out 1 day. Really good. TIP: again, just order a bunch of appt. the eggrolls (can't remember the name sorry) were really good.

Vix: Pretty restaurant. Food was good, but simple and small portions for the price. My steak (rib-eye) was outstanding, but overall expensive for only 10oz plus a little sauce and french fries. It's good for something different, but overall better value at other places.

JoJos is open just for lunch and dinner at Windsong. My chicken panini was excellent, yummy, but again small portions for the money. Kid's hot dogs were $12!!!! And while good, hard to justify the portions. Service was outstanding, the poor waitress was freezing that day, as the winds had really picked up.

The Terrace, The Deck, and The Sand Dollar at Seven Stars. Ate at all 3. Hubby though his fish at The Terrace was outstanding, I though my steak was just okay. I truly enjoyed appts at The Deck, and on Sat. afternoons Daniel and Nadine sing, which I love. The Deck is really cool, on the edge of the dunes, with couches and fire pits, lovely hang out area when weather cooporates. Sand Dollar was really good for lunch, hubby loved his fish sandwhich. I got eggrolls and asspparagus, loved it.

Somewhere On the Beach at Coral Gardens. I'd been before, it was a little better when they first opened. Food is a little inconsistent, for example, nachos seem to come with different things on them everytime we order them. But, overall, the casual food is good, the 3 decks are awesome. The top 2 decks are adult only, and Daniel and Nadine sing every Thursday night, so everyone knows where to find me. Good sunset happy hours, good atmosphere.

We ate lunch at Bagatelle at Gansevoort. Excellent lunch. i had had dinner there on a previous trip and enjoyed.

Had Pizza Pizza one night. Kinda expensive for average pizza, but does the job.

Always Tiki Hut, for me it's always consistent. Love those wings! (and I'm not a wing girl)

Always Hemingways-we had friends meet us down, they can never get enough of those fish tacos. (We compared them to Somewhere's, not even close! H wins!) They actually made mine with chicken and that mango chutney-YUM

Ate at Mango Reef one night, the last couple of times it didn't do it for me. I must report it's excellent again! All our meals (all different kinds) were all outstanding.

Had lunch at Atlantic Bar and Grill, found it just okay and passable.

Had plenty of lunches at LunaSea. Joseph made my special satay chicken with peanut sauce.....it really needs to be on the menu! (Somerset, are you listening? ;-) So outstanding!

Now the big dissapointment: I had always loved Grace's Cottage. Ate there Sat. night and it was awful!!!!! My meal was overcooked plane lobster, on top of undercooked, no flavor (not even salt) mashed potatoes. Hubby ordered fish, and the small portion had not 1, not 2, but 5 bones in it!!!!!!! Unexcusable for that caliber restaurant. And for the price! $140 and we didn't even drink. All places can have an off night, but for those prices, come on! Just a theory, but because we didn't order a bottle of wine, maybe we were considered a lower profile? It's our own fault though, because we never complained. so ultimately they didn't have a chance to fix it, so i take responsability for that.

No excursions, all cancelled. (yep, weather that bad for 2 weeks) Daniel and Nadine singing at Lobster Tuesdays, Sat. at 7 Stars, all cancelled. Blah!!!! Made me so sad.

I flew a day trip to Grand Turk by myself. There were 2 cruise ships in--6000 people on a tiny island! I've never seen it like that before. I joined a ship for Gibbs Cay, which is always awesome. (Stingrays) I check out the lighthouse, the prison, the museum and Conch World. The sun was out! At least until around 1:30. While some places and the plants have bounced back nicely, Front Street and some other streets still look rough around the edges. Fly into South Caicos, they appear to have bounced back nicely, but lost the Dive shop, so until it's back, no reason to really go.

Bad weather only made me want to hurry back to make up for it!

…photobucket.com/albums/…

videos of Grand Turk and Gibbs Cay:

PS We spent 1 night in Miami, and strolled my poor little 8 year old done Ocean Drive. Boy do we have some explaining to do!

Gibbs Cay
Islands, Beaches, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Reefs
Little Water Cay
Islands, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Reefs
Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report of new restaurants Plus Grand Turk

So very sorry about the weather that you had. My heart actually aches for you. There just are no words to make it better:(

The pictures of your daughter are excellent (especially on the sunny days)

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report of new restaurants Plus Grand Turk

I always enjoy viewing your photos...thanks for sharing. The video of the sting rays was too cool. Your review of WBC makes me want to try it out next trip. The comfortable bed sold me!

So sorry you had bad weather.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report of new restaurants Plus Grand Turk

Great pics as usual. Thanks for sharing. You wouldn't know the weather was lousy from those shots.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,426 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report of new restaurants Plus Grand Turk

Blamona,

Thanks for the post and sorry that you had bad weather.

You will have to come back.

Hey......come down this week and bunk with us!

It would be a blast.

And ....The Somerset has great beds too.

Mike

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report of new restaurants Plus Grand Turk

You are always so prompt in sharing your trip reports & pictures!

The only way to get over having all that bad weather is to go back! I'm sure it will be beautiful the next time you go! I do feel bad for all those that were there during the bad weather stretch.

So glad to hear about West Bay Club - we will be staying there for a week in June. We are really looking forward to it.

Thanks for the pictures & videos - your daughter is beautiful and you can tell she loves T&C! I really enjoyed the video of Grand Turk. We were there in 2008 so it was great to see all the familiar buildings/places!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report of new restaurants Plus Grand Turk

The bad weather only served to make me anxious to go back--I felt bad for first timers, I know how great Grace Bay can be.....

JessLCH: I toured Veranda and have pictures! I didn't post them because it was really grey that day-and you've been there enough to know that with sun everything there looks totally different. It's also not totally complete, but close! I can't wait until you tell us what you thought!

TCIMike--Somerset is my first love! Don't tempt me-I have to work!

I'll be curious to see what others start thinking of the new restaurants too

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report of new restaurants Plus Grand Turk

Blamona, thanks for the report, sorry about the weather.....done that! You know it is so difficult to give restaraunt reviews with some of the inconsistencies abound. Also I know what you mean about the bottle of wine. Have been in places, even here in NY, and if you didn't order every course or a bottle of water, I get the impression they think you're cheap. That's why I guess we give the place more than one chance. Your daughter seemed to be having fun!

Herndon, VA
Level Contributor
731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report of new restaurants Plus Grand Turk

GREAT report and Gibbs Cay videos (I'll check the pics later). Sorry you had bad weather. I was wondering when someone would compare the fish tacos. Hemingways are SO delicious (and consistent) it would be hard to beat them. Mrs. Iguana is working on an April trip so we can also compare the two.

Thanks for your report (I had been eagerly awaiting it).

Ed

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report of new restaurants Plus Grand Turk

Blamona,

I'd love to see your Veranda pics, grey or not. How was the beachfront in front of Veranda? It seems like they have a wide enough space to separate themselves from the Beaches crows. At least, I am hoping. What were your initial thoughts of the resort? Look forward to hearing your expert impressions.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report of new restaurants Plus Grand Turk

YUCK...It's snowing out. It was so nice to wake up and see your pictures, saving the videos for later. I did view one. I have to go vote right now, will be back to view all over again. :-)

Amazing pictures as always. The little one is such a cutie pie.

You will have to go back in April :-)