We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location of Smith's Reef?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Location of Smith's Reef?

NewYorkBeachTraveler mentioned Smith's Reef is a little hard to find. Can you give me a little more direction? The house we're staying in is "roundish", but completely round. Is it closer to the inlet to the marina or the other end of the beach? I plan on doing a lot of snorkeling (gotta burn off rum somehow!) and want to know where to look. Also, what are the chances of seeing a sea turtle? I don't want to get my hopes up.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location of Smith's Reef?

Hi emuopolis,

Smith's Reef is in the Turtle Cove area. If you take Lower Bight Rd. to to road Bacci is on ( hopefully someone will remember the name - it has escaped me at the moment!) and turn down it to Coconut Rd, you then turn right at the bend - there will be a small sign pointing to Atlantic Ocean Beach Villas. Travel to the end of the road -very short- park and take the path down to the ocean.

Remember to leave your car unlocked and take all valuables with you. Also, don't forget sunscreen - there's no shade there. Great snorkling and very few people!!

Enjoy!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location of Smith's Reef?

Great. Thanks so much. We're staying at the end of Coconut Road so it shouldn't be too hard to find. I can't wait! Only 45 more hours until we land in Provo.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location of Smith's Reef?

Enjoy.......you'll love it!

We just got back on Monday night after spending 16 days there......it was heaven on earth!!! Can't wait to go back next year!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
772 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location of Smith's Reef?

I like taking the long walk down the beach to get to the reef, very scenic.

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
438 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location of Smith's Reef?

The 2gringos blog (a blog written by two American expats in TCI) did a post on Smith's Reef last month. Good directions on how to get there, and some beautiful pictures.

…blogspot.com/2010/10/smiths-reef.html

It's a great blog, I highly recommend it!

Edited: 03 December 2010, 17:05
Kernersville, NC
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location of Smith's Reef?

The road Baci is on is Bridge Rd. If you're staying at the marina end of Coconut Rd, the reef is right there. As maca81 said, if you go to the other end of Coconut Rd, there is a public path to access the beach. This is one house past Atlantic Ocean Beach Villas. When you get on the beach, turn right towards the resort. About 2 or 3 houses down, you will see the round yellow house. Actually, I think it's just the porch that is round and it has white railing on the porch. Straight out from there is a nice reef system. Straight out from Atlantic Ocean Beach villa is a nice reef and we have seen turtles there several times. The attached link contains an album of reef shots we took. The first picture is a "snorkeling" map I put together. The current runs east to west so if you start snorkeling at the round house, you can easily ride the current all the way around to the marina entrance and see a lot of reef.

http://smithreefarea.shutterfly.com/

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location of Smith's Reef?

Wow! That's amazing. I think you're right, our house is directly in front of Smith's Reef. I love the idea of walking around to the public access point and snorkeling back. Flight leaves in less than 12 hours now!

8. Re: Location of Smith's Reef?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2011, 06:16