We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regent Grand or The Sommeret

Saddle River, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Regent Grand or The Sommeret

Heading to Turks and Caicos for February break with 3 teens and a nine year old.Looking for convenient location to restaurants and near good snorkling. Would like great accomodations. Regent Palm looked great but not the price. Can you recommend one of the two above as they came in at near same price.

Thanks

Pat

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regent Grand or The Sommeret

Both are beautiful places to stay however the Somerset would be closer to snorkeling (about a 20min walk.) If you are looking for more of a resort feel I think the Somerset might fit your needs better.

Regent Grand does not have any restaurant onsite but there are many restaurants within walking distance.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Regent Grand or The Sommeret

The Somerset is directly next door to Regent Palms, and a comparable resort. Plus, you'll have the Regent Palms spa directly next door, if anyone is interested. Lots of nearby restaurants.

Snorkeling is probably a little more than 20 minutes from The Somerset, but still walkable. Regent Palms would be a hike.

Edited: 16 January 2011, 03:14
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Regent Grand or The Sommeret

oops! I think CaribDesi meant that Regent Grand would be a hike, not the Palms.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
6,998 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Regent Grand or The Sommeret

Both are very nice properties.

Regent Grand

nice suites and are all ocean facing with additional poolside suites as an option

large mosaic pool that is courtside located

retail stores located nearby in Regent Village and SaltMills

considered self-catering with no onsite restaurant

beach area is nice with a slight grade to the beach

very lovely property

The Somerset

IMO the most beautiful Aarchitecture on the beach

many different suites offered from a 5 bedroom Estate home to one bedroom "lockouts"

Estate Homes ocean front

Stirling House ocean view

English Cottages garden view

Has a very flat beach grade with plenty of loungers available

nonmotorized water sports

zero entry infinity pool and the longest lap pool centering the property

LunaSea a casual poolside restaurant and O'Soleil the upscale gardenview

restaurant

croquet lawn, full gym on property

The Somerset is located next door to Regent Palms with their restaurants and spa

And next door to Palms is the Alexandra with the new location for Mango Reef

Bay Bistro is located on the otherside

Both are very nice options and you would not be sorry at either.

We are headed back to The Somerset in eleven days!

Mike

Saddle River, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Regent Grand or The Sommeret

Thank you for your response.

We are going to Turks and Caicos for the first time and have no first hand knowledge. Will call the Sommerset today.

Pat

st louis
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Regent Grand or The Sommeret

We are going in April for Spring Break for first time as well. Researched everything and finally decided on Somerset. They all looked great, finally came down to location and having restaurants/services on site. As we are used to having these things when we travel we worried we would miss them if we didn't have.

Enjoy!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Regent Grand or The Sommeret

Thanks for catching that correction, meca81. :-)

virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Regent Grand or The Sommeret

Pat before you place your call, I wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. Alittle background on me, family of 4, have been going to grace bay for over 10 years. Initially, stayed at club med for scuba but since then have stayed at the sands, ocean club and ocean club west- all kid friendly and oceanfront units available. More recently, have stayed at villa renaissance, seven stars, regent grand and the regent palms. Have not stayed at the somerset for one good reason. I like to be oceanfront- standing in the kitchen or living/dining area and looking through the glass doors and seeing all of grace bay up close!!! If I could afford the penthouse suites at the somerset, then that would be a good choice, but those suites don't work well for a family of 4, thus the somerset is not oceanfront, but oceanview at over 200 yards with large buildings in front of the stirling house. Also, the seven stars, regent grand, and the palms are also beautiful, with exquisite design. They all also have complete gyms. The seven stars, regent grand and villa renaissance have much better access to food and restaurants, IMO. The graceway IGA is walking distance as well as restaurants including the vix, thai orchid, saltmills, pizza pizza and a suchi bar-all within a few hundred yards walking distance. Also, regent grand and renaissance are located in the center of grace bay with commercial businesses and services next door, which we find very convenient for booking tours, buying wine, nightlife-the wine bar, and shopping. To answer pat's question about the regent grand vs. the somerset, both are beautiful properties with beautiful pools, full gym, food nearby, etc, but the regent grand has about 40 or so studio, one and two bedroom units available directly on the beach, completely oceanfront, not oceanview as seen from about 200 yards between the 4 large penthouse structures!! That is the reason I would pick the Regent Grand or the other properties I mentioned over the somerset!!! Also, I have no ownership in property in grace bay but just enjoy the beauty of the beach and water. Thus, my review is unbiased. I have read this forum for over six years and some others here can't say the same. I would be surprised if TCImike doesn't have ownership in the somerset, he always touts that property with a more than slight bias of positives toward that development over another. I'm just saying!!! Thus, the Regent Grand with it's magnificent pool as well as other possibilities such as villa renaissance, seven stars, or Regent palms will put u smack dab on the beach, oceanfront, with awesome views of grace bay all week, in luxury suites that can accomadate 2 to six people comfortably. The somerset penthouse suites offer that too if you can afford it. Pat, I hope this helps.

virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Regent Grand or The Sommeret

Pat before you place your call, I wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. Alittle background on me, family of 4, have been going to grace bay for over 10 years. Initially, stayed at club med for scuba but since then have stayed at the sands, ocean club and ocean club west- all kid friendly and oceanfront units available. More recently, have stayed at villa renaissance, seven stars, regent grand and the regent palms. Have not stayed at the somerset for one good reason. I like to be oceanfront- standing in the kitchen or living/dining area and looking through the glass doors and seeing all of grace bay up close!!! If I could afford the penthouse suites at the somerset, then that would be a good choice, but those suites don't work well for a family of 4, thus the somerset is not oceanfront, but oceanview at over 200 yards with large buildings in front of the stirling house. Also, the seven stars, regent grand, and the palms are also beautiful, with exquisite design. They all also have complete gyms. The seven stars, regent grand and villa renaissance have much better access to food and restaurants, IMO. The graceway IGA is walking distance as well as restaurants including the vix, thai orchid, saltmills, pizza pizza and a suchi bar-all within a few hundred yards walking distance. Also, regent grand and renaissance are located in the center of grace bay with commercial businesses and services next door, which we find very convenient for booking tours, buying wine, nightlife-the wine bar, and shopping. To answer pat's question about the regent grand vs. the somerset, both are beautiful properties with beautiful pools, full gym, food nearby, etc, but the regent grand has about 40 or so studio, one and two bedroom units available directly on the beach, completely oceanfront, not oceanview as seen from about 200 yards between the 4 large penthouse structures!! That is the reason I would pick the Regent Grand or the other properties I mentioned over the somerset!!! Also, I have no ownership in property in grace bay but just enjoy the beauty of the beach and water. Thus, my review is unbiased. I have read this forum for over six years and some others here can't say the same. I would be surprised if TCImike doesn't have ownership in the somerset, he always touts that property with a more than slight bias of positives toward that development over another. I'm just saying!!! Thus, the Regent Grand with it's magnificent pool as well as other possibilities such as villa renaissance, seven stars, or Regent palms will put u smack dab on the beach, oceanfront, with awesome views of grace bay all week, in luxury suites that can accomadate 2 to six people comfortably. The somerset penthouse suites offer that too if you can afford it. Pat, I hope this helps.

Saddle River, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Regent Grand or The Sommeret

I appreciate your two cents. You have given me great information and I have decided to stay with the Regent Grand. I have worn myself out trying to pick the right acommodations for myself and the girls. We have never been to Turks and Caicos before and for a few days I have obsessed on learning about the resorts on the island . I don't know if I am right but apparently it's a beautiful island and the hotel is above average. I think the rest is up to us. Looking forward to sun, warmth, sand, blue seas, fine food and relaxation.... well as much as possible with 4 kids. Again, thank you for your intelligent thoughtful input.

Pat