We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I keep reading...water not safe?

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
I keep reading...water not safe?

I'm suprised. The water is not safe to drink? I drink a lot of water at home and on vacation as well....huge mug filled with ice cubes and water for the beach most of the day. If the water is not safe, how can the food they cook it with be safe?

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I keep reading...water not safe?

You are reading that the water is not safe? Where?

Been drinking it since the seventies with no ill effects. And as for how food cooked with water can be safe....boiling water kills pathogens.

Fernandina Beach...
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: I keep reading...water not safe?

I also wonder where you are reading that the water is unsafe. I'm drinking lots of it every day.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I keep reading...water not safe?

The water in the hotels are safe. Not sure where you read that it was not.

It is not recommended to drink the water if you are staying at a villa if they are only on a cistern.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I keep reading...water not safe?

The water is safe to drink. Since I am guessing you are staying at a resort, it will be desalinated water so it has a different taste, but it's safe. We usually stay at houses that have cisterns and some kind of purification system so I cook with it, brush my teeth, etc. but buy drinking water from the grocery store.

If you don't mind the taste, drink your huge mug with no worries.

Edited: 05 February 2011, 12:04
Fernandina Beach...
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: I keep reading...water not safe?

Lobomago, what would you think is the percentage of villas on Provo that have the same water as the resorts in addition to their cistern option??

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I keep reading...water not safe?

I was reading reviews for Club Med and many of them talk about bottled water in the rooms and also something about water in coolers so I assumed the water was not safe from reading that. Glad to hear the water is safe. Thanks for the replies.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I keep reading...water not safe?

The Club med, and probably other resorts, provides bottled water purely for "taste" purposes, not "safety". I see you are a DE for Aruba and Provo is very similar to Aruba in that the primary water source is desalinized sea water and is very safe to drink, but does have a slight off-taste. We prefer the bottled water for drinking/taste purposes, but use the "tap water" for all other uses.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I keep reading...water not safe?

I don't mind the water on Aruba...it's just not cold coming from the tap...lots of ice and I don't have a problem with the taste...it's better than the chlorinated water that comes from out tap...that's nasty. I filter my water at home so I can't taste it.

I drink a lot of water at home...even more on vacation...have to keep hydrated...and flush the alcohol out.....LOL

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I keep reading...water not safe?

I understand exactly what you mean about "not cold"...

Most of our trips to Aruba have been in Jan - March and we didn't really notice the water being hot right out of the tap. Then we went in Sept and at first we thought the tap in our room must be plumbed backwards... We couldn't get cool water! I assume the water pipes in Aruba must run close to the surface of the ground and get heated by the sun.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I keep reading...water not safe?

Visit any resort in the United States and Canada, and you'll probably find that bottled water is provided. It's become as commonplace as providing air to breathe.

Anyone else remember laughing at the idea of selling bottled water, twenty-five years ago? Sure wish I had invested. ;-)