We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report: serenity, pampering, real world

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report: serenity, pampering, real world

This is a slightly delayed and brief trip report from our stay (myself and my wife dashnj) on North Caicos, Parrot Cay, and one night on Provo from Feb 12-23. I described this trip as “A little relaxed serenity, then a little pampering, then a little closer to the real world” in a post before we left, and that is exactly what it was.

All the travel details were easy, since we have done this a few times. We took the direct flight from Philly that landed at 1:20, grabbed a car from Todd at Grace Bay Car Rentals, bought the first couple of days provisions at the IGA on Leeward Highway, had a nice leisurely lunch at the new Pelican Bay at Royal West Indies at the bar, and easily made the 3:30 ferry to North Caicos. Whew!

Susan from Pelican Car Rentals met us at the dock with the same very reliable Toyota Corolla station wagon we have rented for the past couple of years, and we settled in to Datai Villa (http://www.datai-villa.com/index.php). This was our fifth time staying there, and it is a very comfortable place for us to be. Jean Louis and Martine are excellent hosts, and they live right up the road.

We literally did nothing (perfect!) for the first couple of days except hung out on the beach, walked, ate, and slept. Very relaxing… We had a couple of rainy windy days that kept us off the beach, so we read, ate, (drank), “slept”… still very relaxing. ; )

We drove over to Middle Caicos one day to eat lunch at the always good Daniel’s Café, and to also see the very wavy Mudjin Harbour. Devon (Daniel’s son) cooked us an excellent meal of cracked conch and snapper, and their dog Bevis was happy to get a belly rub.

On North we ate at The Silver Palm once for lunch and once for a really nice dinner. We had never had dinner there before and really enjoyed the experience that Karen provided.

After a blissful week on North, we took the three minute trip by boat over to Parrot Cay for a little pampering for three days. This was our third stay there, and it is a major splurge for us. We love the casual elegance (I stole this description from CaribDesi) of the resort, which basically means we can be treated like big shots, but still wear shorts and flip flops all the time. Our kind of place!

Our first night there for dinner was the BBQ which was an amazing selection of seafood, meats, salads, and desserts set up at different stations near the pool. It was awesome! They had the Island Boys (Corey Forbes) playing, and I made sure I sampled as much of the amazing food as I could.

The spa was also amazing. My massage was one of the best I have ever had, and Dash treated herself to two massages. The first one she had was just ok, but the second one was great. It all depends on the therapist you get, just like anywhere else.

Since it was President’s Day weekend, it was abnormally busy at Parrot Cay with lots of kids. No problems or anything since they were well behaved and entertained by the beach and staff. I saw someone else earlier in the week refer to it like it was a problem, but it was not for us.

After our three days of pampering, we moved to Provo for one night to get us ready for re-entry into the real world. We ended up at The Sands in a nice studio after some kind of issue with our room at Villa Del Mar, and it was nice for us to stay there since we never had before.

Provo was busy (it was the Tuesday after President’s Day) partially because it was peak season, and partially because the airport had closed that day due to the runway needing an emergency repair. We met Islandgirl43 and her husband at The Deck at Seven Stars for a pre dinner drink, and heard all about their trip to Salt Cay and their diving adventures. Very nice people!

We were lucky to be able to get a seat at the bar at Hemingway’s for dinner since the place was sold out. The food was decent, and it was nice to talk to some of the stranded people who had a bonus day on Provo.

On our last day we shopped a little since we were now back in the “big city”, ate lunch at one of our favorite places, Las Brisas on Chalk Sound, and made our way to the repaired and fully operational airport.

We didn’t take lots of pictures this trip, but a few pictures mostly of Parrot Cay are here: http://jbwdashtcipics.shutterfly.com/247

We are returning in May for a very different experience for us. 4 days at Royal West Indies and 4 days at West Bay Club. We have never spent so many days in a row at a resort on Grace Bay. I am sure we will find some way to make it a little adventurous…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report: serenity, pampering, real world

Your trip sounded like HEAVEN! And gorgeous photos too - thank you for sharing your stories.

Not too long until May, I look forward to your second report then!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report: serenity, pampering, real world

Joe, can you and Dashnj email your advance travel plans so we can tag along the next time? Maybe we can get a group rate.

Love the way you travel, love the way you think. :-)

Edited: 08 March 2011, 04:08
Rockford, IL
Level Contributor
178 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report: serenity, pampering, real world

Sounds like you had a fantastic time. Sometimes low key is the best route. R and R does a world of good. May is just around the corner. Cheers

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report: serenity, pampering, real world

Now that sounds like my idea of the perfect holiday! Thanks for sharing and as others have said, May is just around the corner! ....but surprised you're not going to N.Caicos!

Thanks for the great pictures!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report: serenity, pampering, real world

I want to tag along next time too! Love the way you travel.

Funny how no matter how many times we all return, we all find something different to do!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report: serenity, pampering, real world

PS I love the picture of the back end of Parrot Cay, it's so different and cool looking. A picture like that, I would enlarge at a local Staples, it would hang in my garage "gallery"

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report: serenity, pampering, real world

Another fantastic trip for Dash and Joe! Hope we overlap one of these trips.

Edited: 08 March 2011, 13:21
massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report: serenity, pampering, real world

Sounds like Heaven to me, someday when the waters of Grace Bay stop hypnotizing me. I'll start being more adventurous,.. just like the two of you. I have to learn not to stare too long when I first get there.

Thanks for the picture fix :-)

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report: serenity, pampering, real world

Sounds like another wonderful trip!

We have just returned a month ago.....but have already secured tickets for 2 more trips!

Hey.....you have to have something to look forward to.

And....I always look forward to trip pictures of the amazing places travelers visit.

Very nice to see on a very cold day.

Mike

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report: serenity, pampering, real world

You both sounded and looked like you had a great vacation! Thanks for the trip report and pictures - great views of PC I hadn't seen in pictures before. I know what you mean by "a little closer to the real world" - we felt the same way after leaving Salt Cay and arriving on Provo.

Glad you get to go back to Provo in May - sounds like a good split between the resorts - we always enjoy splitting ours up too.

Hopefully we can fit a trip to North/Middle Caicos in June between all the diving we already have planned.

I didn't realize the airport had closed on Tues - maybe that is why there were so many flights leaving on Wed.

It was great meeting both you & Dash! We'll just stay for dinner next time.

Get answers to your questions about Turks and Caicos