We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Matrch 16-23

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Matrch 16-23

As many of you have already read I posted a daily bog of sorts for our first few days Match 16-19 - but I will recap!

Arrived on Jet Blue Wednesday - got through customs in T&C in 15 minutes- could not believe it. Got a taxi to West Bay Club- Ricki I think it was, as Kalvin was 10 min away and we did not want to wait. It only cost $26 for the 3 of us to WBC. We got there around 2pm and Rene and Dane were there to great us with punch for my daughter and Rum Punch for Jay and I . We checked into a 1 bed Lux suite- was hoping to get a center but got the same beautiful suite as last year just 1 floor up #4307. Immediately we went to the beach and took a walk on the beautiful sand and ran into Lionfish and his wife. What wonderful people. That night my husband stayed in (tired) while my daughter and I went to the Managers party and we had a dinner at WBC - burgers and blackened shrimp - yummy. Brought Jay a fish burger up to the room. Saw Travelguy and his family and had a great chat with them as well. Also met a wonderful family from Toronto and made plans to get together with them the next day so our kids could play.

The 17h was rainy and windy so we just stayed at the hotel and the kids had a playdate in the suite of our nice new friends. Jay and I actually stayed at the bar and drank and had lunch. That night was our much awaited dinner at Coco Bistro (made reservations via email 3 weeks out) We love this place under the palm trees. Steve the manager from England was so nice. The "BigAss" Cab was such an amazing wine and we took pics of the bottle.

The 18th - we got picked up and taken to Long Bay - Provo Ponies for a private 1 hour ride with Camille the owner. She was great was took our camera and shot some great video and pics of on our horses in Long Bay - the horses went in up t their necks - we got got wet up to our waists. It was amazing. Lunch at WBC. Dinner at The Veranda- we had friends from home staying there. The food took 2 hours to get to us- not so good. But our friends liked the place for their kids and the atmosphere. Looked nice.... much better AI than Beaches.

The 19th- was amazing- went parasailing with my daughter with Sky Pilot. Picked us up right on the beach at WBC- Rene the concierge at WBC arranged it all - she is great! Took our flip up in the air- and got some great video. My daughter is 10 and was a bit scared for say 15 seconds and then never wanted to come down. It was such a bonding experience. We were on the boat for @2 hours though as it was a full boat - but it was a beautiful day so what better place to be. Then in the afternoon- my daughter and Lionfish bonded over fish and snorkeling and he patiently taught her about sea cucumbers and sea biscuits and they saw a sting ray - it was so cool. That night night was Bay Bistro - our other favorite. Amazing setting - full moon and great food. Fed the cats a bit - could not refuse those cuties. They were out of lobsters that night but it was freash grouper and conch!

Oh- forgot - took Kalvin's taxi everywhere and he was so reasonable - not even close to $ to rent a car. We were so happy to use him and he always was reliable . His # is 649-241-3576- tell him Gigi sent you.

March 20- we had our last morning at the West Bay Club-was very happy with our stay there.

The Regent Palms... Kalvin picked us up and off to The Regent Palms. Stayed in 3306 - nice plush suite - partial ocean view. Frances - the concierge was great - sent us some cookies to the room and explained the layout et al. i will not go into the horrible experience we had at the beach and pool again. You can search my posts. Let's just say - we will probably not be staying at the Regent Palms again. The rooms were fantastic and people were so kind but the fact that I had to get up at 7am to get a chair on the BEACH- all the pool chairs were gone by 6:30 am - makes me not want to return. Only if we were going in some off season would I consider it - but we travel to T&C usually in March this hotel is not for us. The policy that if someone does not come to their chair within an hour then the pool attendant will remove their belongings and give away their pod/chair never happened. Not enough pool/beach attendants to get service.. and for the $ just did not live up to the amenities it should have. They were much more attentive at WBC - beach attendants were coming over all day and asking us if we wanted anything-nice new beach Bar at WBC is great!

Tried Mango reef that night - was OK- great service but the food was a bit lacking. Very windy - so we could not sit on the beach deck- went inside.

March 21 - got up at 7am to get a Cabana on the beach- these were nice as they provided shade. Swimming all day- lunch at Plunge -great Pineapple Daquaries, conch fritters and pannins and pizza were great!

Dinner at O'Soleil. Slow service but amazing food. Beet salad, curried grouper, snapper. Deliciou

March 22 our last full day. Up at 7am to get Cabana by the beach - breakfast at Parallell 23 was fine, fruit yogurt , croissants , bagels cereal.. but no hot items unless you pay extra. WBC did have a hot item each day. Stayed on the beach and swam all day. Lunch at Plunge again. Husband had a chocolate monkey with Vodka and Kalua - oh so good.

Met a great family with 3 kids from NYC who was also a bit taken aback by the lack of service on the beach! We did get the lavender spray on our last day. Lat dinner was back to Bay Bistro - had the Lobster on galrlic mashed potatoes and veggies, coconut cheese cake and fresh ice cream. Love Bay Bistro. Mike the manager was so sweet.

Last morning I finally slept in till 8:30 and took a nice long walk on the beach. It went so quickly. Flight was 1/2 full coming back so I got my own row to stretch out. Took some amazing pics- over 200. Posted a few here - but a lot on facebook. Email me if you want to see anything I can send you specific pics. Thanks toyou all! xxoo Gigi

Key to the Sea Parasailing
Parasailing & Paragliding
Sky Pilot Parasailing
Parasailing & Paragliding
Ocean Vibes Scuba & Watersports
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Parasailing & Paragliding, Scuba & Snorkeling
Captain Marvin's Watersports Ltd.
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Parasailing & Paragliding
Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
7,859 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Matrch 16-23

Thanks for all of the tips and information regarding your trip.

WBC sounds nice and we have viewed many suites there so we are familiar with the physical plant of that resort.

Many people love that location and many do not.

Service seems to be good as I am guessing the resort might not be as busy as some others.

Sounds as if your only complaint with Regent Palms was the RIDICULOUS game of saving chairs. This to me is just plain SELFISH to reserve chairs and not be actually using them. We are early risers and walk the beach very early but would not think of taking chairs for hours and not actually be using them. I think that pool/beach staff need to get a handle on that problem.

With that said....sounds as if you did enjoy the property as it is very nicely maintained.

Thanks also for your restaurant reviews.

What a nice time to escape the lingering Northeast winter!

Mike

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report Matrch 16-23

Gigi- sounds like you had a great vacation! I wrote down Kalvin's phone number for our next visit. I think we'll try and use his services on a few night's out. Thank for the tip!

Bay Bistro is our favorite- just love the lobster and grouper there!

Enjoyed reading your daily posts! Thanks!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report Matrch 16-23

Glad you had a nice time at the WBC and sorry you had to play the chair game at the other resort. Can't wait to see your photos - welcome home!

Tcimike - you say that many people love the location of the WBC and many do not. I can't say that I've ever read that anyone doesn't like that area. Can you shed some light on your comment? Thanks!

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
7,859 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report Matrch 16-23

MuyLinda23

What I meant by the comment about WBC location is that it is definately located more out of the way and a car is more necessary than at more centrally located resorts.

Not a reflection on the property itself as it is very nice.

i'm just sayin.

Mike

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report Matrch 16-23

Thanks, Mike. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure there were no boogie men in the water down there to be afraid of. :)

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report Matrch 16-23

Gigi, Thanks for you trip report and glad you had a great time, once again, at The West Bay Club. They do have some of the best service I have experience on the island. No chair games!

The Regent Palms has gorgeous rooms, without a doubt, on a great stretch of beach, although it does get crowded during school vacations.

Can't wait to ride with Kalvin again, great taxi service. Your food sounds wonderful and loved your pictures on facebook.

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report Matrch 16-23

I just posted video of us parasailing here on TA--may take a minute or 2 to load!

hp
Level Contributor
357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report Matrch 16-23

Two months to go..5 at WBC and 3 at RWI. First time splitting between two resorts. I am thinking it must be a great feeling checking out from one resort but not actually leaving the island.

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report Matrch 16-23

It was a strange feeling-but didn't have to get out of cover-up!

Next time will do all at one resort- I pack too much ever ytime and hate-unpacking.

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report Matrch 16-23

Gigi, thanks for the update after we left.

I really enjoyed meeting and daily chats with you, Jay and Jordan.

As you know our trip was our first without the kids. Jordan helped me with that. It was great snorkeling with her and introducing the great creatures we discovered. She really was quite enthusistic and really got a kick doing it.

Glad you got lobster at Bay Bistro, we missed that as well.