We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questioning The Sands as hotel choice

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
99 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Questioning The Sands as hotel choice

We booked The Sands for our April trip after a lot of consideration, but the reviews lately have been so negative. Many say it is pretty run down and the service is terrible...I'm hoping those people just don't know how to adapt to "island time" Has anyone stayed recently that can provide some positive feedback? Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Questioning The Sands as hotel choice

Snorklefan, I was going to post the same question! We have booked our trip for May but I am a little worried also after reading the recent reviews. I put a deposit down so am also wondering how long it will take to get it back if I change my mind.

Good Luck on your trip!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questioning The Sands as hotel choice

We have had three wonderful vacations at The Sands, with our last being in June, 2009. I would never try to steer anyone away from the resort - love it there and love Hemingway's, the restaurant on-site. The reason we haven't returned there since June, 2009 is simply that we've found better deals staying elsewhere, plain and simple. Is the Sands as "gorgeous" as the Villa Renaissance, where we've stayed on two trips since staying at the Sands? The answer is "no". Is the Sands as "gorgeous" as the Royal West Indies where we've stayed once since staying at the Sands? The answer is yes, and we liked it at the Sands better than at RWI. Is the Sands as "gorgeous" as the West Bay Club where we'll stay in June? That remains to be seen, but from the photos it looks like the WBC is a step up from the Sands. All of this info is to give you some guideline where my opinion is coming from. In the end, I would not hesitate to stay at the Sands again, if the price were right.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,428 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questioning The Sands as hotel choice

I took a look at the latest reviews. The last one suggests to skip the whole island and is just ridicules. The next one sounds like expected a luxury resort - it's not. March was a very busy month on the island. Some of the complaints can be attributed to that.

As far as it being run down? Well who isn't? ;)

I stayed there but not recently. Nice spacious rooms, big screened balcony, nice stretch of beach an one of the best lunch spots on the island. For the price it would be hard to find something better IMO

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questioning The Sands as hotel choice

I've enjoyed all my stays at the Sands. Its a great property but isn't as new as some of the others. The bathrooms aren't as modern as some of the newer resorts but the suites are large and comfortable. Its a great place to stay in the mid range price category and the location can't be beat.

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questioning The Sands as hotel choice

Agree with Intheburgh, the location is smack right in the middle of Grace Bay Beach. Walk in either direction and you can get to a lot of bars/restaurants/shopping.

I stayed at The Sands 12x, with my 3 children, in the past 9 years. It is a casual, beach-y, rattan, type atmosphere, with good service, a good restaurant, great beach front, great beach service, and pretty landscaping with pretty pools. We are low maintenance, love to go to the IGA and get our breakfast and lunch food and go out to amazing dinners, with cocktails in between on the balcony.

It is NOT luxurious, it is beach-y because it is in the tropics on the beach. The price can not be beat for what you get, I love to be able to walk out my door in a bathing suit, no shoes, and be on the beach in less than 1 minute.

The suites are full of home-y things like a washer/dryer, full kitchens with everything you will need, if not ask. Nice furniture and granite countertops.

Not sure what you are looking for in your vacation, the price meets the expectation. IMO.

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
743 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Questioning The Sands as hotel choice

That stretch of beach on Grace Bay is outstanding! I have stayed there many times and I will again in June. I am not into glitz , the Sands is just right for me!

I'm into the Water, not extravagance...I also need to see people, and meet them, sometimes you walk the beach past some resorts and they are deserted!

the Sands never is, there is always life going on.

I was marooned at the Sands this past September for a Hurricane, and got to see the management and their devotion to the guests and the property up close and it was impressive! Other resorts would be hard pressed to follow the example of the people who run the Sands. i have entrusted them with my life and would again in a heart beat! I highly recommend the Sands for any family!

Edited: 30 March 2011, 00:21
Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questioning The Sands as hotel choice

It's about how much you care about the rooms and what you expect. . We stayed at the Sands our first trip to T&C and found the rooms pretty tired and dark - bathroom was tiny and old. we were really disappointed with the suite.... but the location and beach service was great. Pool for our little girl was great and really close to other amazing restaurants that we could walk to on the beach.

Stayed at West Bay Club last year and loved it. Stayed at West Bay Club and Regent Palms this year.

What is your price point ? And what are your expectations? Do you want new and floor to ceiling views of the ocean? The Sands is great for families - we just wanted a step up!

GIgi

Connecticut
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Questioning The Sands as hotel choice

Decktime63, when in June? We'll be there the 13th -26th.

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Questioning The Sands as hotel choice

We stayed at the Sands last year and although we don't plan on staying there again I will say after a bad experience with an oceanfront studio on the 1st night ... we were very pleased with our 1 bedroom oceanfront thereafter. It was huge and clean and very comfortable.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
6,998 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questioning The Sands as hotel choice

Ok......The Sands....to me is a gem in the midprice range.

As so many have said....not brand new.....not highend........BUT.....

is a GREAT price on the nicest stretch of beach with very comfortable suites.

Yes....you can find higher end stays.....but The Sands just has a special feel to it.

Like also that there are no other resorts right next door.

We always enjoy a casual meal at Hemingways.

You can always be searching for something better and you will need to pay for the upgrade.

The Sands still is a very nice property and has a special place in our hearts as they location of our first few trips.

Mike