We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attire? Packing ( so excited) Help

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Attire? Packing ( so excited) Help

Hi,

How formal is going to dinner at night? We will be going to mid-range places with 20 mo daughter.

Is it like Hawaii and everyone always so casual?

Thanks n advice for your time

Ps any restaurant advice?

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Attire? Packing ( so excited) Help

The dress is pretty casual not formal although a couple of the priciest restaurants like Anacaona require long pants and collared shirts for men. But since you say you will be going to mid-priced restaurants most women wear sundresses, pants, skirts or capris and tops to dinner and nice shorts with golf shirts/ T shirts for guys. Somewhere Cafe is very casual and at dinner I guess women can get away with shorts although on the nights we were there I don't remember seeing any to be honest.

My guess is it's probably not quite as casual as Hawaii given that it is British( although I haven't been to Hawaii in a while).

As for restaurants Bay Bistro(Sibonne) ,Coco Bistro and O'Soleil (Somerset ) are my faves!!!

(though not sure they would be considered mid-range in price)

Have a wonderful time and I bet you'll be hooked in the 1st 2 days!! Enjoy !!

:-)

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attire? Packing ( so excited) Help

Thank you for the info! Could I go to your favorites with a 20mo old. She goes out all the time. Will get my summer dresses together.

Thank you!

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Attire? Packing ( so excited) Help

You are welcome !!

I would think they are all child friendly although I really can't recall to be honest...I'm sure others will chime in and let you know for sure!!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attire? Packing ( so excited) Help

as a general rule.....in TCI bring 1/2 the clothes and 2x the $$$.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attire? Packing ( so excited) Help

:) hahah will do

Western Washington
Level Contributor
35 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attire? Packing ( so excited) Help

We were in TCI last week, and I'd say things were very casual. At Bay Bistro, I remember noting how many people were barefoot at dinner, and there were lots of shorts.

Coco Bistro at dinner was also very casual, Seven a little more dressy, but still shorts were everywhere.

Our kids are older now (10 and 15) but everywhere had a kids menu, and it seemed to be a very un-stuffy atmosphere everywhere we went (and I grew up in the UK but live in the US now; I didn't see any "traditional British" formality anywhere, thank heavens!).

London,Ont...
Level Contributor
574 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Attire? Packing ( so excited) Help

Very Casual.

Its not like you are going to a dining room on a cruise ship or something like that.

As has already been said, take 1/2 of what you are planning on taking.

Really, you are not there to impress anybody. Be comfortable!

Nicer side of casual dress, and you will fit right in.

If you have net access while you are there, send us some updates.

Brad

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Attire? Packing ( so excited) Help

jsnover

I didn't write that it was "traditional British" formality so that is a misquote.

And no Provo is not like that at all or I wouldn't go there.

But in the 9 times I have been to Provo.. I must have missed barefeet and shorts night at Bay Bistro as I don't recall ever seeing that at dinner... lunch yes but at dinner I do not remember seeing women in shorts. And when I have been to Coco Bistro women have not been wearing shorts either. If that is the case now then it's become even more casual. And I love casual...I live for casual... but there are those of us who when we spend our days in a bathingsuit or shorts like to perhaps slip on a little sundress at night. As 2theC Brad wrote above...the nicer side of casual and you'll fit right in !!

So DancinDeb If you pack a bit of everything you'll be fine !! Enjoy !!

Edited: 05 April 2011, 05:46
massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attire? Packing ( so excited) Help

When my kids were small and we wanted to go to Coco Bistro or Bay Bistro we would go a little early around 5:30 6:00 to dinner so as to not disturb the couples that were looking for a nice romantic type of dining experence.

Rockford, IL
Level Contributor
178 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attire? Packing ( so excited) Help

I usually unpack half of my stuff the night before to simplify and yes less is more at times regardless of where you are going!! A few nice pieces that you can dress up or down and mix and match. Took me a long time to get there being a girl and all. I usually find my husband is much happier if he doesn't have to drag an extra bag along. :)~

Get answers to your questions about Turks and Caicos