We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report- March 17-22. Really, really long!!

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
46 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report- March 17-22. Really, really long!!

This was our first trip to Turks and Caicos, and it was beautiful. In a nutshell, the beaches were amazing, the accomodations were amazing, the activities were amazing, and it was pretty much the perfect honeymoon =) First off, just wanted to thank everyone on these forums for their advice, their reviews, and their comments. Planning for this trip was a breeze thanks to you guys!

We flew American Airlines on a Tuesday from BWI to MIA (~3 hours), then from MIA to PLS (~1.5 hours). Flight to Miami was packed, but to PLS was less than half full. Arrival in Providenciales was bright and sunny, and we waited about 20 min for our bags to come off the plane. Grace Bay Car Rentals had our car waiting for us as soon as we got out of the airport, and we had to pay a $2 "storage fee" for when the car was parked in the lot. No big deal, just paid it and we were off. It was a pretty strange experience driving on the left hand side of the road, and being on the right side of the car to drive; the windshield wipers and turn signals are also on opposite sides of what we're used to in the states. LOL, the first two days I would keep hitting the windshield wipers instead of my left turn signal! There are no stoplights in TCI, just a lot of traffic circles, which you yield to the right since they drive on the left. Luckily the traffic in TCI is nowhere near the traffic in the DC area; driving was actually a pretty neat experience.

We stayed at the West Bay Club, which was really nice. They provided a cell phone for our use, and the only charges were airtime and texts. The gentleman that brought our bags up was kind of a downer, seemed like he had an attitude problem the whole time, and when we needed help later on after check in with our in-room safe. I kind of felt like he hated us for some reason, but everyone else was very nice. We stayed in a 1 bedroom, and it was plenty of space for us- King sized bed, tiled floors throughout, galley kitchen, dining room, living room and oceanview balcony! It was amazing!

Day one- just chilled at the beach in front of WBC… it was a little windy throughout the whole trip, but still wonderful beach weather. The beach wasn’t as bright white as I imagined it, but still the best beach we’ve ever been to! In front of WBC there’s seaweed in the water which gives it that darker shade of blue, but nothing to cry about. Grace Bay beach down closer to Beaches and the other resorts has basically no seaweed in the water, but that beach is also a lot more crowded than up at WBC. Ate at Yoshi’s for dinner- sushi was pretty good. I’d recommend it for anyone that likes sushi. Tried conch sushi, which was ok… our first conch experience did not leave us yearning for more. Before heading back to WBC, we went to the IGA for some groceries and got some basics like bread, beef, lunchmeat, etc. Spent about $80. We had packed a lot of dry foods like snacks and such, so we didn’t need to get those there. The IGA also had a wine/beer/ liquor section which was nice, so we picked up a bottle of Sangria, too.

Day two- We took our car out to Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay- both AMAZING. Chalk Sound, too… I don’t even have words to describe the colors and beauty of it all! We preferred Sapodilla and Taylor Bay to Grace Bay just because of the calmer waters due to being less windy. We tried snorkeling here for the first time in the ocean (we tried at the pool the day before just to make sure we knew how to do it right) and it was really neat. Saw some really tiny fish, some medium fish, and some larger fish. Got water in my ear and couldn’t get it out til the end of the trip =( We ate at Las Brisas for lunch- had conch fritters, fried fish, and coconut shrimp. The shrimp was really good, large, but only 3 pieces. The fish was also just ok; the couple of pieces I ate were really chewy and not so good, but my husband must have gotten all the good pieces cause all his pieces were soft and flaky, as they should be. Conch fritters were just OK to us, but that’s because we realized we’re not huge fans of conch. Taylor Bay was much like Sapodilla Bay- not crowded, and really beautiful. The water is shallower here; you can walk out like 100 yards and still only be ankle deep. Crystal clear waters, just amazing.

Day three- We had Pizza Pizza for lunch, around $16 for a medium Kitchen Sink (supreme) pizza. It was pretty good, and tasted really good the next day as leftovers! We did a lot of hanging around that day- it was the only day out of our 8 day trip that we had weather that kept us inside. It was just cloudy and a little bit rainy. We went to the movies that night to see Rango; the tickets were around $8 each, I think. The movie theater is basically right next to Pizza Pizza, and shows only three movies at a time. The showtimes when we were there were around 3, 5, and 8 pm.

Day four- We had used WBC’s phone earlier in the week to schedule a couples massage at the Regent Palms. We headed over to Regent Palms and at first went to the main lobby of the Palms but then were redirected to the building on the right as the spa. Wow, let me tell you, it was beautiful! The pictures were spot on- it was so relaxing and nice. After our massage, we went back to WBC and the beach, and parasailed! Sail Provo picked us up right off the beach. It cost $75 each, but you are only up there about 15 minutes. Pretty expensive, but worth the experience! We didn’t see any fish or rays in the water, although a lot of other people said they did. The whole trip took maybe two hours, since we had a full boat. Everyone on our boat went tandem, or triples. If you go on this trip, I highly recommend wearing more than a bathing suit. Moving so fast over the water in the boat, you get pretty cold quick. It would have been really nice if they had towels or something but they didn’t. Still, the experience was definitely worth it! For dinner, we went to Hemingway’s, and were surprised to get in without reservations, but we did arrive early around 6:30. About fifteen minutes after we were seated, two really large groups came in, so we’re so glad we arrived when we did or we may have been eating at home! Had the crabcake appetizer, which was not so good. It was edible, though. I ordered the grouper creole which pretty much blew my socks off, if I had been wearing any! It was soooo good. The fish was great, the rice tasted wonderful- it was delicious. Husband very much enjoyed his thai curry chicken also!

Day five- woke up and packed snacks/towels for our trip to North and Middle Caicos. Had called TCI Ferry the day before and made reservations for the 9:30 ferry to North. We paid $40 each roundtrip when we arrived, just parked and waited for the ferry. They give you a small little ticket, write your return time on it, and punch a hole. You hold onto the ticket until your return trip where they collect it back. Ferry ride was about 30 minutes, a little chilly since you’re traveling so fast. Glad I had on a shirt and shorts, not just my bathing suit, like when we parasailed. Drove out to Middle Caicos, and the causeway was not that bad. Yes, there’s potholes here and there, but nothing “car-swallowing” and “crater sized” like others were making it out to be. We went slowly just smooth. The views were great along the way- even over the causeway since you’re surrounded by water. We went to Mudjin Harbour- you turn into the area for Blue Horizon resort, and park your car. We walked down the trail, and were basically the only people there. There was a family that left shortly after we arrived, and then another family arrived maybe half an hour later. The views were to die for, the water an electric blue. Soooo beautiful.

Drove a while up and found Bambarra Beach, where we really were the only ones there. There was a sign on the road pointing to Bambarra Beach, and you just follow the road to the beach. At one point the road split- I think we beared to the right off a wild guess and arrived at the beach. Parked our car near the tiki huts, and walked down to the beach. There was an island that must have been at least a mile away, but we walked through the water all the way there! The water never went above our thighs… and it was like we were the last two people on earth. We literally did not see anyone until the walk back to the beach. We stopped at Daniel’s café, which was so good! Kind of surprised us because since it was basically the only place we knew of to eat, we were thinking it was only going to be good because it was the only place to eat. Pleasant surprise- it was delicious! We had the fried grouper which was so good! It was a whole fish, and even though it wasn’t hot, like it was just fried, it still tasted wonderful. And the homemade bread! YUMMY!! We didn’t order any conch, because we figured out on day two that it’s just not something we are fond of, but Devon brought us a few pieces of their infamous cracked conch- and were we surprised! It wasn’t any of the chewy stuff we had tried before, this cracked conch was soft and really very good. Daniel’s wife told us that the conch on Middle Caicos is different from the conch they serve on Provo, and the way it’s prepared is different too. We could definitely tell the difference, it was the first conch dish that we really enjoyed and would order again!

Day six- Hung out at our beach again- tried windsurfing for the first time and boy, is it hard to do! Eduardo patiently spent a good hour with me trying to teach me. I think I may have gotten a good five second sail before I would fall off again. It was a ton of fun though! Ate at Coco Bistro for dinner, our concierge had made reservations on Tuesday, but couldn’t get us a table until Sunday, which was fine. Seared ahi tuna appetizer was DELICIOUS. Probably the best ahi tuna we’ve ever had. The manager came by our table later on to ask us how the meal went, which was really nice of him. We told him to tell the chef we loved the tuna. I had the penne pasta with scallops, shrimp, and mahi mahi, which was good too. If I were to go there again, though, I think I would just order 10 of the seared ahi tuna! =) And also more and more of the bread! It was a bread roll with (I think) pesto and parmesean inside, and olive oil to dip…. Sooooo good.

Day seven- Last full day, we went back to Sapodilla Bay where we jetskiied for an hour which was also a ton of fun! It was $125 for an hour’s rental. We ate at Lemon Café for dinner, and we arrived early again since we didn’t have reservations, maybe around 6:30pm. Had the roasted potato and chicken skewer appetizers, both of which were good.

Day eight- Took some last pictures and packed, then headed to the airport at 12:30 for our 3 pm flight. Dropped off the car in the lot, went inside and checked our bags. The AA line was so short, we went right up to the desk to check our bags. Funny, three out of our four checked bags were “randomly selected” for a further search. Took about 15-20 minutes for them to take us to the back room, search our bags, and sign off. Afterwards, we decided to eat a little something in the bar area called Gilley’s (I think that was the name of it. It’s the only place to eat in the airport before you go through security so you can’t miss it) and we ordered the curried chicken. It was delicious! The chicken was fall-off-the-bone tender, and it was very, very good. Tasted just like homemade curry, and was more the kind of food I was expecting at the beginning of our trip. If I had room, I would have ordered more but we were pretty full. We went through security, which took only about 10 minutes, so we had LOTS of time to spare before our flight.

Overall, it was pretty much the perfect trip and honeymoon for us! We can’t wait to travel some more, and hopefully make our way back to Turks and Caicos for an anniversary! Thanks again to the Trip Advisor community for all your rewiews and advice! =)

Herndon, VA
Level Contributor
731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report- March 17-22. Really, really long!!

Great trip report. Thanks for taking the time to prepare such a nicely detailed report. It felt like I was there again. Maybe later this year. Now you need to plan an anniversary trip to Grand Turk. Congrats.

ed

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report- March 17-22. Really, really long!!

Thanks so much for your detailed trip report.

So glad that you made it over to North and Middle Caicos...my favorite day trip!

Now....where are some pictures...and are you now hooked? LOL

Mike

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
46 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report- March 17-22. Really, really long!!

thanks ed! I definitely missed it as soon as we landed in the states!

mike, we are so glad we made it North and Middle caicos too, mudjin harbor and bambarra beach.... sheeesh! words can't even explain it... but how do I add photos without adding a link? I did it with some restaurant reviews, but don't see the option here on the forum...

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report- March 17-22. Really, really long!!

Thanks for the great trip report JT.....it made me feel like I was right there !!

Nice to hear that you enjoyed everything ( well except the Provo conch lol ) and got to do so much on your honeymoon !

Looking forward to pics... and Congrats to you both!! :-)

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report- March 17-22. Really, really long!!

Not long enough...

Congrats to you guys!

Great trip report...funny.. we thought Gilleys at the airport was great food too! Great way to end your trip. We love West Bay Club as well. Can't wait to see pics! , xx Gigi

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report- March 17-22. Really, really long!!

By the way-we were there the same time as you!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report- March 17-22. Really, really long!!

Thanks for posting such a detailed report.....I felt like I was right there with you!! I just wanted to keep reading it and have it never end!

Really glad you enjoyed your time inTCI and appreciated what the rest of us are addicted to!

I think on our next visit we'll have to plan on eating our last meal at Gilley's....there's been some good reviews lately about it.

Also, it was great to read about North/Middle Caicos as we plan on spending a week there this fall even though we've never been.....looking forward to it.

Thanks again,....well written!

Edited: 09 April 2011, 01:49
Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,970 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report- March 17-22. Really, really long!!

Thanks for the great trip report! We are looking forward to our first stay at West Bay Club next month.

I agree, the best conch I have eaten is at Daniel's Cafe on Middle. It's very similar to a perfect fried Calamari. Tender and tasty!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report- March 17-22. Really, really long!!

Nice trip report - thank you!!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report- March 17-22. Really, really long!!

Excellent trip report! Just perfect! I "re-lived" every day with you and enjoyed it thoroughly :) Thank you very much and hope you make it back sooner than you expect :)))))

Get answers to your questions about Turks and Caicos