We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recs for bonefishing&excursions to other islands from Provo?

Dallas
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Recs for bonefishing&excursions to other islands from Provo?

We are going July 18-26 (family of four, two kids ages 11 and 13), staying on Grace Bay Beach, and SO excited! My husband and son are looking for the best places for bonefishing, maybe even unguided if the fishing is good. Any suggestions? Also, are there any good day excursions from Provo to the other Turks & Caicos islands that are worth doing? Our main interests are snorkeling, snuba, and fishing. Thanks!

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recs for bonefishing&excursions to other islands from Provo?

With proper gear and fishing license you can walk right into Flamingo Lake and bonefish, otherwise you will need a guide w/boat. At the moment SNUBA is at the Bight Reef from shore but she has a boat coming soon. For excursions to other islands, see big section in the latest WhereWhenHow.com on day tripping to North and Middle Caicos. Ferry boat over, rent a car to sightsee, other option is to contact Big Blue for eco-tours to sightsee, hike or kayak the isolated mangroves over there. Or for fishing on North Caicos see Gibbs North Caicos Boats.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recs for bonefishing&excursions to other islands from Provo?

We always use a guide to go Bone Fishing.

Only have used "Catch the Wave". The owner &

always our captain "Ed" is a great guy. He's a

belonger and has been fishing for bones all his life

so he knows his stuff. Never every been skunked.

He has 1/2 day and full day charters. Check out his

web site. My husband is the one in the red tee kissing the Bone Fish. Yuck. There are other charters on the island but we aren't familiar with them.

Cheers

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recs for bonefishing&excursions to other islands from Provo?

Oppps That should be white tee shirt and red hat.:)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recs for bonefishing&excursions to other islands from Provo?

We also have two children, ages 11 and 16. They've basically grown up over the last ten years, vacationing in the TCI (as have we). :-)

We've gone on three different TCI fishing excursion, and by far, bonefishing was the best. Unfortunately, the guide who took my son and I has since passed away, but he was wonderful. ;-)

Best advice I can give: Check with the companies on WhereWhenHow.com, and make sure they understand you'll have a youngster who might need a little extra attention.

First visit, I would recommend a 1/2 or full day island excursion with Caicos Dream Tours. It'll get you off Provo, and give you a taste of the other islands (there are 40 of them).

After you catch the TCI "fever," a trip to North and Middle Caicos would be nice, followed by Grand Turk and Salt Cay -- not a first-time itinerary, but one we've followed over numerous visits.

Hope this helps. :-)

5. Re: Recs for bonefishing&excursions to other islands from Provo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 14:18