We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 2011 Trip

Kernersville, NC
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
July 2011 Trip

Another great trip this year. Stayed at Atlantic Ocean Beach Villas again, have just come to really love that place. Mainly the location being right on top of the beach and great snorkeling straight in front of you. Saw some things I had not seen before.

- More people snorkeling down at the Turtle Cove area and going straight to the spots provobum and I have pointed out. Hardly had a question about where the reef is this year, so this forum is obviously reaching quite a few people.

- One of the snorkel boats pulled up to the reef in front of AOBV. I had never seen that and would not think people would pay for a boat excursion for on-shore snorkeling. But, then someone walked to the end of the boat and started dumping a canister with fine powder billowing out. The people on the boat then made a toast and left. I am sure they were spreading the ashes of someone. If you had to pick a final resting spot, is there one better?

- I was out in the water about waste deep and friends on shore were pointing out a dark shape making its way down the beach to me. It got to within about 20 yards and we could all see the 6' or so shark as it turned and went back into the grassy area and disappeared. That was a definite highlight.

- We usually eat-in one night, go out the next. But to lower cost, we go to places like Tiki Hut, Horse Eyed Jacks, etc. Finally went to Bay Bistro. Blew us all away with the quality of the food and service. Clive was a gracious and humorous host. It is now our favorite spot.

- My son came down with strep throat and went to Urgent Care behind the Graceway Gourmet. The staff was pleasant and the doctor was great. He had sons in college in North Carolina (my state) and we probably talked for 10 or 15 minutes about that and other topics. I do not know about anyone else, but I can't remember spending more than a couple of minutes with my doctor here talking about my medical condition much less other topics. As strange as it sounds, it was a highlight of the trip just to sit around and shoot the breeze with a doctor. In case you're wondering about cost, I thought very reasonable, $140 for visit and medicine.

- Cracked conch and fritters at Da Conch shack, always a highlight.

- My wife and daughter made the mistake of going to the TCSPCA to get a t-shirt and then looked at the Potcakes. We had talked about Potcakes before, but we already had two dogs. We lost one on Christmas day, which was also a rescue dog. We ended up bringing home Gracie. They say she will be only 50 lbs but her paws say she will be a lot bigger. If you're wondering, the Potcake Place meets you at the airport with the dog and carrier. You pay the airline fee and breeze through security at TCI. At Charlotte Customs, they asked if that was one of those Potcake dogs so they are quite familiar with them. Coming into the US was hassle free. I know, we could adopt a rescue dog here at home but I guess I kind of figure dogs don't know nationality.

Great trip, hope to be back in 2012

Gibbs Cay
Islands, Beaches, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Reefs
Little Water Cay
Islands, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Reefs
Milltown, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 2011 Trip

Ahh, Gracie has a new home and is named after one of the most beautiful beaches in the world... That makes my heart smile..So glad that your wife and daughter "made a mistake and went to the TCSPCA" lol...Rescue pets are the best. They seem to know what we have done for them. We adopted a rescue kitten 4 months ago and called her Caicos. I am shocked that after several trips to the vets not one person has asked us if she is named after Turks & Caicos. I guess is it still somewhat of a a beautiful secret.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: July 2011 Trip

Enjoyed your trip report and.....congratulations on your new bundle of joy!

Potcakes are the best!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: July 2011 Trip

Lovin' this report. :-)

If I wasn't typing, that might have been me -- told my wife and family to do the same with my ashes -- or, the Florida Keys, whichever is easiest to arrange -- I'm not picky, and won't care at that point.

Thanks for the report. :-)

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,820 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 2011 Trip

Glad you had another great trip and congrat's on Gracie.

BTW, I will be at the point at Point Grace, if anyone wants to visit me after I am gone. Already in the will.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: July 2011 Trip

I'll certainly visit you, Ajax1... but, is there anyway you can buy me a drink while I'm there? :-)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: July 2011 Trip

Thanks for the great trip report!

You had me tearing up about the ashes. I had already told my hubby GB is where my ashes are to spread......in the most beautiful turquoise waters of Grace Bay.

Congratulations on Gracie! I can't convince hubby to get another dog, but I'm planning on being a foster parent while there on on next vaca this fall! Will be staying for part of our trip at AOBV!

Thanks!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July 2011 Trip

Thanks for your trip report!

We also enjoy the snorkeling near Turtle Cove - I can see why you like staying at AOBV!

Congrats on your new addition to the family - Gracie. Potcake pups are so cute!

Any pictures to share?

Kernersville, NC
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July 2011 Trip

First time using Flickr so hope it works. One shot of Gracie lounging in her new home and a few shots of Grace Bay.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65748794@N08/sets/72157627289803394/with/5979962094/

Gracie and her sister were left on the doorstep at the TCSPCA at Susie's Turn in a cardboard box on a Saturday. This is not where they keep the puppies (that's across the street). Susan just happened to have stopped by that day and found them. Otherwise, Gracie and her sister would likely have not made it through the weekend. We could not choose between them so just let Susan make the decision for us. Gracie's sister was still looking for a home as of Saturday.

I will get some more photos of trip loaded a bit later. My memory card got corroded and lost a lot of photos so waiting for the rest of the group to share their photos.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
387 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July 2011 Trip

Gracie is a cutie but she sure does have big paws! Does she have a big heart to match? You took home one of the best souvenirs! Maybe another time for us!

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July 2011 Trip

Nice to hear you had a great trip! Gracie is a nice looking potcake. Her markings are very similar to a Rottweiler, so 50lbs may be a little light?