We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which islands would you stay at on a 2 week vacation?

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which islands would you stay at on a 2 week vacation?

Hi there,

My husband and I have just booked flights to go to TCI for 2 weeks at the end of November. This will be our first time going there, so we're very excited.

We haven't booked any accommodation yet because we'd like to know about the islands first. So i'm wondering if some of you guys would have recommendations as to which islands we should stay at.

We are very into visiting various places. We'd love to rent a house or an apartment if possible by the water. We could stay a few days at one place and move to other islands, since we're staying 2 weeks.

We love snorkeling and go for walks or hikes at nice scenery places.

We're not too much into going partying at night, we'd rather just go for drinks, go to restaurants (local food) or simply cook at the house/apartment with local ingredients.

We don't mind taking small flight, take boats from one island to another, renting cars, whatever works so that we have a fabulous stay and can see a few various places from TCI.

Thank you in advance for your help!

celine

West Coast
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which islands would you stay at on a 2 week vacation?

There is a passenger ferry to North Caicos which is connected by a damaged but useable causeway to Middle Caicos. Between Provo and North Caicos, there are resorts on Pine Cay and Parrot Cay. We have stayed at the Meridian Club on Pine Cay and it was fantastic. Beautiful beach that was almost uninhabited.

If you want to rent a house there are options at Blue Horizon or Bambara beach on Middle Caicos. However restaurants and stores on Middle Caicos are very limited, so you have to plan accordingly.

You can also fly to the capital Grand Turk for a totally different experience. You can do a day trip there from Provo or stay a few days.

If it was my first trip, I would stay 3 or 4 days on Pine Cay and stay on Provo for the balance with a day trip to North and Middle Caicos. If you are still restless (most people veg out when they get to Grace Bay), do a day trip by air to Grand Turk as well.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
489 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which islands would you stay at on a 2 week vacation?

Depends on what you want to do. If you want total peace and quiet with uncrowded beaches, go to Grand Turk or Salt Cay...not that Provo is crowded compared to other beaches in the Caribbean. :-) Haven’t been to Pine Cay, but it looked awesome from our boat.

Provo offers more activities such as para-sailing, jet skiing, gourmet restaurants, fancy hotels, nightlife, traffic and shopping, plus easier access to the other islands. You will find NONE of this on Grand Turk, Salt Cay or Middle Caicos. (However, you may get to Salt Cay by a short boat ride from Grand Turk for a great day trip.)

We like the diving better in Grand Turk compared to Provo and Salt Cay. Sorry, we don't do much snorkeling, so I don't know which island is best for that.

We like the PACE of Grand Turk compared to any of the other islands in T & C that we have visited. Provo is too fast, Salt Cay and Middle Caicos are too slow for our taste. But keep in mind everyone is different; many people would find Grand Turk and Salt Cay boring. We love Grand Turk and will return this October for our 14th visit.

Personally, I wouldn’t spend the $ or the time to fly to Grand Turk just for a day. If you are not interested in staying on Grand Turk longer, I would go to Provo, and visit the other islands that don’t require an airplane. But again…everyone’s idea of the perfect vacation is different.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which islands would you stay at on a 2 week vacation?

If you have never been here before it would be best to stay on Provo and venture out for the day to North Caicos by ferry.

The other islands (except Grand Turk) really do not have much in the way of restaurants or grocery stores. You would have to get all your groceries on Provo and then bring them over.

If you stay in the Turtle Cove area you would have a few restaurants and snorkeling close by. One villa that would lead you to others would be Ballyhoo (sp?). It is right on the water with Smiths Reef really close by.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,968 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which islands would you stay at on a 2 week vacation?

If you haven't already, there is lots of great information about each island on www.wherewhenhow.com.

I would stay at least one week on Providenciales, 3-4 days on Grand Turk/Salt Cay, 3-4 days on North or Middle Caicos. For each you just need to know what you are in for as far as places to eat/drink since only on Provo will you have a large selection.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun!

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which islands would you stay at on a 2 week vacation?

In my opinion where this is your first trip I'd stay in Provo. You can do day trips to other islands to get a feel of what they're like and perhaps plan another trip to stay on one of the other TCI islands. Most of the resorts on Grace Bay have kitchens so you'll have the option of cooking in, but there are, as others have said a number of great restaurants.

My wife and I will also be visiting in late November, arriving day after Thanksgiving. Happy planning.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,302 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which islands would you stay at on a 2 week vacation?

You don't give budgets, so can't tell if you could do Pine Cay or Parrot Cay for 3 days( which by the way are both scrumptious!).

In 2 weeks, I personally would do 3 nights in Grand Turk( especially if you're a diver) with a MUST day trip to Salt Cay ( gorgeous beach, quirky little golf riding town cool restaurants-all 3 of them)

Then I would spend 11 days in

Provo, where you get it all, and still can day trip to North and Middle Caicos, day trip to other small cays, etc)

With a pretty good taste of the islands, you can plan your return to lnger longer the places you want to return to.

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
755 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which islands would you stay at on a 2 week vacation?

2 weeks? I like to spend a week on Middle Caicos at Blue Horizon Resort

(on site concierge, many excursion and activities that can be arranged via Christi, your host, and grocery stocking is an option)

Then a week on Provo.

I'll be the first to admit, that it took me 8 years to get off the beach in Provo and over to Middle Caicos. Now, however, I spend less and less time on Provo and more on Middle.

North is a nice option too. More people (all relative, about 2000) than Middle (200 people), nice beaches. I like the dramatic scenery of Middle, especially Mudjin Harbor at BHR.

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
755 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which islands would you stay at on a 2 week vacation?

Celine,

Check out the Blue Horizon Resort Group Page on Facebook. You'll find a lot of good info. there on accomodations, what to do, etc, as well as a ton of pictures.

As you can tell, I am a big BHR fan (not an owner). If you like hiking and adventure, a week or at least 4-5 days on Middle or North sounds right up your alley. Feel free to PM me if you want any additional info.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
489 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which islands would you stay at on a 2 week vacation?

Haven't been to Blue Horizon, but it looks like a very cool place. Wouldn't be a good fit for us, because there isn't great access to diving with short boat rides, but it might be perfect for someone that only wants to snorkel.

That is why when planning a vacation it is very smart to do what you are doing, and investigate your options before booking your final destination.

Have fun planning! Where ever you decide to stay, I hope you will fall in love with T & C just like we did many years ago.

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which islands would you stay at on a 2 week vacation?

Thank you so much guys for your advice! This is so nice of you to spend time and give your guidance.

We booked our first week in Provo (Leeward area) and we'll get around the area with a rental. Hopefully we will find all kinds of nice places to go snorkeling!

I am now looking into booking or 2d week, and it sounds like the North and Middle Caicos sound very nice. Pine Cay and Parrot Cay sound really fabulous but unfortunately out of our budget..

For those who have already been to Middle or North Caicos, how does it work getting around there? can you go from North to Middle easily for day trips? How do you get groceries?

Would you recommend a specific place to stay? (AmyCaicos, i am contacting Blue Horizon now, thank you).

Again, thank you all for your great help.

celine