We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Insurance

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Topic
Trip Insurance

Hi all,

I'm finalizing some of our plans to Provo for November....and I've always considered getting trip insurance...but I guess in light of what's just happened to so many travelers due to Irene last week, we're definitely going to move forward with some coverage.

So, just a few questions on trip insurance:

1) I've been to www.insuremytrip.com (thanks to some recs from here on TA), but there are so many options of insurance companies on that site. If any of you have any insight/feedback on any particular insurance companies, that would be wonderful. I've read on some older posts that Travel Guard & Travelex were good ones to look at....and maybe that Access America not-so-much (?)....

2) Hopefully we won't have to worry about filing a claim, but in the event we do, have any of you had any more recent experiences (good or bad) on getting a claim filed/processed?

3) Would I insure our trip for just the airfare & hotel deposits...or more, i.e. full reservation amount, car rental, etc.?

4) Other than coverage for air fare & hotel, what other coverages are good to consider, i.e. medical, car rental coverage?

5) Any other insights or advice is appreciated, i.e. can you ever get too much coverage?

Thanks so much for your help, as always!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Insurance

I saved 36% with Geico.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Insurance

LOL....sounds like the commercial....didn't even know they offered trip insurance....and didn't even know you'd need it if you live in Provo! ;-)

3. Re: Trip Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2011, 20:50
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Insurance

Thanks so much for the info & I will definitely check it out.

However, I was also hoping for some TA feedback from people who have recently purchased Trip Insurance & who could give me some feedback regarding their own personal experiences and/or recommendations on various companies, etc.

Is there anyone else that may be able to give me some direction based on their own experiences?

Edited: 31 August 2011, 00:36
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Insurance

We bought insur for our trip to virgin islands in October and filed a claim due to tropical depression staying on top of us for three days. We were paid $1,000 by the insur company. The governor of St Thomas issued a proclamation declaring the island a disaster due to 18" of rain. So we were lucky. I also bought insure for the entire cost of trip to Turks this May. Did not have to use it but still glad I had it. I called my travel agent in our town and she arranged the purchase both times. I also learned to wait until after hurricane season to vacation out of the country! Hope you have a great trip. We fell in love and are planning our second trip.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Insurance

I've never purchased trip insurance, primarily because we would be able to absorb the possible loss of rewards points for our airline tickets, along with our accommodations deposit. We also don't sign on for expensive all-inclusive vacations, where they take our money up-front.

Yes, it's a bit of a gamble on our part, but the odds have always worked in our favor -- including three weeks ago when we visited the TCI.

That said, if by chance I did lay down a bunch of non-refundable cash for a vacation, I would probably take a look at the www.insuremytrip.com options, and then show them to my long-time trusted insurance agent. To be honest, I would trust her judgement over the advice of a travel agent, or whatever product a resort is pedaling.

Ask your regular insurance agent for advice -- they make a living reading fine print. :-)

Just a thought.

Edited: 31 August 2011, 04:32
Maryland
Level Contributor
177 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Insurance

We have used Travelex through Insuremytrip for several trips and last year had to file a claim for the first time. We were traveling to Barbados from DCA through Miami on AA. Upon arrival in Miami we learned our connecting flight to Barbados was canceled, no explanation. AA had tried to phone us while we were in the air so since they couldn't reach us they automatically rescheduled us for the next day instead of putting us on the evening flight. AA did provide meal vouchers and hotel. However, we did lose a day at our villa rental in Barbados, When we returned home I filed a detailed claim form with Travelex with some supporting documentation like copies of boarding passes, etc. They paid our one day villa fee without problem and in a timely fashion.

I usually figure air fare and hotel/villa fees per person when applying for the coverage.

We were very pleased with the way Travelex responded and would highly recommend them.

Hope this helps.

uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Insurance

Hi

It really shocks me that you guys don't automatically buy travel insurance, we don't leave the uk without it! We usually buy an annual family policy, which covers us for flights, accommodation, loss of luggage and personal possessions, legal cover and medical insurance.

I usually use money supermarket.com don't know if you have that site? It's pretty good, I have found you really need to read the fine print though as some company's don't cover "acts of god" which is a real cop out!!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
246 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Insurance

Depending on the type of vacation, I use insuremytrip.com to compare policies & coverage for trip interruption/cancellation. Like CaribDesi, we haven't bought it every time when using airline mileage or hotels/villas with refundable deposits, but we have been VERY lucky with that. On our trips where everything is due up front, ie. AI's and cruises, it is absolutely necessary! But don't get it directly from the source, ie. Beaches or the cruise line. It is much more expensive and may not cover everything you need.

Besides weather, you may have an accident or illness that prevents you from leaving or a death in the family. These are things people just don't think about. We have used Travelex many times. They have a policy that includes the children for free with each paying adult, they have excellent medical evacuation (absolutely necessary when traveling in the Caribbean) and since we all scuba dive, we need the rider that covers that... be aware that most policies do NOT cover underwater activities and if you dive, you should have this rider! Thank goodness we have never had to file a claim.

BTW- we have never spent more than $300-400 on a policy that covers the entire family for all these actvities so based on the cost of a $10-15K vacation, it is worth every penny!

texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Insurance

We had great luck at travelinsured.com a couple of years ago . I thought it was fairly inexpensive between 100-200$. We actually used it. We had about $400 in extra expenses due to cancellations on the trip home due to a blizzard. I saved all of my receipts and got documentation from Delta of the cancellations - turned it all in - and no hassles - they sent a check out within a couple of weeks. I will use them again when we travel. Hope this helps froma fello Texan!! haha

Get answers to your questions about Turks and Caicos