We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location of Gansevoort

Boston
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Location of Gansevoort

We just booked our plane tickets to T&C and now we need to find a hotel! We will be there Feb 4-11. From what we can see, the Gansevoort looks like it would be right up our alley. We like sleek, modern hotels.

My biggest question is the location. Are there any restaurants within walking distance? We would prefer not to rent a car but would like options for dinner other than whatever hotel we stay at. We live in a city so are used to walking places and don't mind walking a mile+ to dinner.

Are there other luxury hotels that have a better location for restaurants? We don't care about proximity to shopping as we will be in T&C to lay on the beach and eat at nice restaurants, not to shop.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice you may have!!

somewherebythe beach
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Location of Gansevoort

Gansevoort is between Turtle cove and heart of Gracy bay which I would say is Seven Stars. Closer to Turtle cove which is about 1 mile or so west. There are pleanty of taxis parked out front to take you anywhere you want to go but you will spend more in a few days for what the entire week will cost you renting a car. Near the restaurants try Regent Palms or the Somerset

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location of Gansevoort

Everywhere is a hike from there, but if you are willing to do a mile plus then everything betweenTurtle Cove to Seven Stars is doable(Seven , Magnolia, Hemingways, Tiki Hut, Somewhere, Sharkbite, Mango Reef are just a few you can reach)

imo- Even the closest places are not comfortable walks. You might do it once or twice, but I think a cab is the way to go.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location of Gansevoort

I just checked TA, Gansevoort has 550+ reviews in just 16 months? hmmmmm......... OCW has half that in 8 years

Boston
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Location of Gansevoort

How about the Grace Bay Club or Veranda?

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,552 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location of Gansevoort

Gansevoort is at the west end. Very nice place but not near much so you will need a car.

If you want to be close to dining, take a look at the seven stars.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Location of Gansevoort

Said it before, I'll say it again (with apologies to the forum "regulars")... some resorts are closer to some restaurants, but no resort is close to all. Resorts and restaurants tend to be spread out across Provo, requiring some form of transporation to experience the full breath of dining opportunities.

If you're content to mostly hang around your resort and eat at the nearby restaurants, then Seven Stars would be a fine choice -- it's a beautiful property. However, I'd still recommend you consider some form of transportaion, so you don't miss great dining choices like Coco Bistro, Magnolia, Da Conch Shack, Las Brisas, Grace's Cottage, and many more.

BTW, the same can be said for Gansevoort., IMO.

Taxis are always available, but I'm curious why you don't want to rent a car. There are some very good reasons not to rent:

1. Can't drive.

2. Plan to drink too much to drive safely.

3. Afraid to drive left (most common).

Any thoughts?

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,552 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location of Gansevoort

Grace bay club is in a good spot as well but will most likely cost more. Veranda is all inclusive.

I love the seven stars location. 5 minute walk to my fave Caicos cafe, 5-10 minute walk to other options and 5 minute drive to the rest of the best (coco bistro, bay bistro, coyaba and more). Smack in the middle of it all

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Location of Gansevoort

We just returned a couple of weeks ago from Provo & stayed at the Gansevoort. Desi is right, no matter where you stay in Provo, IMO, renting a car sometime during your stay, is recommended to experience more of what the island has to offer.

We rented a car for the entire week & were so glad we did. All of the different restaurants & other places we had on our list to try/visit were located at various parts of the island. No matter where we stayed, transportation of some sort would've been necessary. Renting a car just proved to give us more flexibility & save $ overall.

We found that navigating around the island was pretty easy, driving on the opposite side of the road and all!

And we loved the Gansevoort! Great ambiance, great service, just a very special place. The location too we liked because it felt more secluded (but not isolated by any means) on that side of the island. But it was easy to get everywhere else....

Edited: 13 December 2011, 17:54
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Location of Gansevoort

NewportSummer,

I just read your other question re: the GBC & Veranda. Both of those resorts, along with Seven Stars, Regent Palms & Somerset, are other "luxury" resorts that we would absolutely consider staying at for future trips. One of the many nice things about Provo is that there are so many good upscale choices.

If you haven't already, check out www.whenwherehow.com. This website's Provo map really helped us to get our "bearings" on where everything was located in Provo, i.e. locations of resorts, restaurants, etc.

There is also a restaurant guide on that website so we also were able to get a good idea of the different restaurants we'd want to try -- in addition to getting some really good restaurant recommendations from this forum.

Based on where you decide on to stay and what restaurants you may want to try, you can figure out if you'll need a car and/or taxi & for how many days/times.

If you prefer to have the ease to walk to more restaurants, then I'd say the Gansevoort would not be a good choice for you. The Gansevoort is definitely not a short walk to a lot of different places.

So, just going on what I know, the Seven Stars, GBC, Regent Palms, etc. would definitely give you more options. But, IMO, a few of the best restaurants we tried would still be a cab ride or drive away from those resorts as well.

But if you're open to renting a car (or taking a cab), especially to try out more really good restaurant choices, then staying anywhere on Grace Bay would be convenient.

Edited: 13 December 2011, 19:42
Boston
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Location of Gansevoort

Thank you all so much for the information thus far. Beachdreaming, I'm glad to hear that you liked the Gansevoort!!

I guess I said that we wouldn't rent a car because we never do when we go on vacation and have usually found it unnecessary (Aruba, Jamaica, Miami, etc.). I just realized that the hotels in T&C don't charge for parking (unheard of where we live so I just assumed they would!) so that makes renting a car more appealing. We do like to have some drinks though....are cabs super expensive??

It sounds like we would have this issue no matter where we stay so we are probably best off picking the resort we like best.

Grace Bay Club is pricing about $175 more than the Gansevoort and Seven Stars is about $400 more.

Get answers to your questions about Turks and Caicos