We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for crystal clear tourquoise water and white sand ”

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for crystal clear tourquoise water and white sand ”

Need advise on where to find crystal clear water and white sand. Been to Aruba, Mexico, but the water was not what I expected to find. This time I am trying to decide between St Lucia, Turks and Caicos, or somewhere else. Looking for a place where I won't have to have a car, good food choices and some shopping options.

Was looking at Sandles in St Lucia. Looked nice!

Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for crystal clear tourquoise water and white sand ”

If you're looking for crystal clear stunning water, you've come to the right forum. TCI has all you are looking for (except you may be disappointed in the shopping area.)

I've been to St. Lucia as well and the water doesn't come close in comparison with Turks and Caicos. St. Lucia has the magnificent Piton Mountains. It is more lush than TCI. St. Lucia is a beautiful island but the beaches aren't as nice as TCI in my opinion.

To learn more about the TCI here are a couple websites that provide a lot of useful information.

http://www.wherewhenhow.com/

http://www.turksandcaicosreservations.tc

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
169 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for crystal clear tourquoise water and white sand ”

Turks and Caicos is your best bet. It's got amazing beaches - exactly what you're looking for.

We went to St. Lucia a year ago, and while we loved it, you don't go to St. Lucia for the beaches. Rather, it has an amazing landscape - mountainous rainforest.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for crystal clear tourquoise water and white sand ”

Hi, Natalie. Welcome to the forum.

I see from your posting history that you're a Jimmy Buffett fan. If it helps, he's a long-time frequent visitor to the Turks and Caicos, for many of the same reasons you mention. :-)

The crystal clear water and white sand are unsurpassed, IMO. Never been to St. Lucia, or an all-inclusive resort, but I"m sure others can comment and compare.

Here are some websites that might help begin your research. As you'll see, there are lots and lots of options, depending on your budget.

www.turksandcaicostourism.com (official website)

www.turksandcaicosreservations.tc (resort / villa descriptions and comparisons)

www.wherewhenhow.tc (dining guide)

IMO, If you want to truly experience the T&C, you'll need some form of transportation, no matter where you stay. However, there are a number of resorts located in closer proximities to more restaurants and shops.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 22:06
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,241 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for crystal clear tourquoise water and white sand ”

I've been to 85% of the islands (but not to St Lucia!)

The water in T&C is the best!

But, shopping is limited. Walking is limited, although it's side walked etc, it's 12 miles long so all the great restaurants are in clumps. Depending where you stay you might need a car for off beach snorkeling. Plus you'll want to see the amazing Chalk Sound which is the most neon turquoise you'll ever see, but you need a car for it.

It is easy to drive around, and it's not a big island (19 miles long).

With the above websites also check out WhereWhenHow.com and click on current issue. You can also email them and request a copy mailed to you.

If you give a budget we can further help you!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for crystal clear tourquoise water and white sand ”

I've been to St. Lucia.....I agree and second everything that InTheBurgh said!

Pick TCI......you won't regret it!

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
630 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for crystal clear tourquoise water and white sand ”

Went to sandals st lucia for my honeymoon years ago. Also have been to turks and caicos the last two years in a row. We Like Turks and Caicos better. To be fair tho, we didnt venture off of sandals when we were in st lucia so didnt see much of the island. We did venture all over Turks. I just think the beach and water is much better in turks and caicos. You will not be disappointed in the beach/sand and the color of the water. Hope this helps!

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for crystal clear tourquoise water and white sand ”

Have been to many places, including St, Lucia. The water and sand on Grace Bay are beautiful. Much better than St. Lucia. The shopping is limited though, if that’s a high priority. While you can get around without a car by using taxis, I would highly recommend renting a car. It provides much more flexibility to get out and explore all the island has to offer.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for crystal clear tourquoise water and white sand ”

St. Lucia is a beautiful island....but the beaches are not as nice as those found on Turks and Caicos.

If you are looking for small coves and lushness of the island, then SL would be for you. We loved our trip there and would perhaps return.

If you want miles and miles of white sand and clear turquoise water....then definately go with TCI.

So many choices of all levels of resorts and I would suggest staying on Grace Bay beach if this is your first trip.

Mike

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for crystal clear tourquoise water and white sand ”

Thanks for your response. We enjnoy walking around and shopping is not a real big priority. Sometimes prefer not to have the hassle of a rental car. Looking for good food though. Where would you recommend to stay given that our budget is flexible? I have been searching and seeing nightly rates in the $300.00 range. We enjoy staying in nice, clean hotels where staff are friendly and responsive.

Thanks!

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
627 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for crystal clear tourquoise water and white sand ”

Been to St. Lucia as well and Grace Bay in Provo is absolutely gorgeous. As indicated above, we go to St. Lucia for reasons other than the beaches (i.e. mountains, etc)