We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami connections/customs

Shelton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Miami connections/customs

Has anyone had a connecting flight recently through Miami and, if so, what were the Customs lines like? We are leaving Provo on 4/21 with a connection in Miami to New York. I don't know if it is worth spending the money on the AA VIP service.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami connections/customs

We all have different airport / airline experiences, but the last time I connected in Miami to Provo, it was a breeze. The new terminal is very nice, kind of like a high-end shopping mall.

Years ago, before the airport expansion, Miami was a nightmare.

savannah
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami connections/customs

I agree, it depends. I went through MIA on the Saturday after Thanksgiving and it took us 10 mins - who would have thought!!??!! You are traveling during a Saturday of school vacation week - anticipate the worse and anything will be better.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami connections/customs

We usually connect via MIA to BOS on a Sat and we've had times where we've zipped through in 15 minutes and other times where it has taken much longer.

Agree with peony about planning for worst. As CaribDesi stated the new terminal is very nice with lots of shops and restaurants.

Enjoy your visit!!!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,607 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami connections/customs

Customs are not a problem -immigration is ! -travelling on a UK passport it can take up to FOUR HOURS !

Lines are a bit shorter for those with US or Canadian passports

Sat is the worse day -and the lunchtime flight that arrives in Miami mid afternoon can be really bad

I think I am travelling the same day as you -we have allowed 5 hours before our connecting flight

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami connections/customs

One tip I followed the only time I connected in MIA was go to the far right line as those are for US citizens only and tend to be shorter.

6. Re: Miami connections/customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:42