We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Resort for a 30yr old couple...best beach / activities?

brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
142 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best Resort for a 30yr old couple...best beach / activities?

Hi guys,

I know the question is kinda vague but after booking an AI resort in Gran Bahia La Romana and then canceling because I heard it was kinda boring in there, I really need your help.

We are ... a couple .... she's 27 and I am 30 yr old.

Looking for:

1) All Inclusive preferably

2) Nice beach with calm waters and nice scenery

3) Nice grounds ... pool, people, etc

4) Under $2,500 for 2 people with flights (NYC) 6-7 nights

5) Some fun activities .... (Snorkeling, Wave-runners, para-sailing, motor boating, island trips maybe, etc)

I have been to Negril Jamaica and it was nice (beach, waverunners) but a bit too calm. Looking for a bit more lively atmosphere.

thank you !

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
172 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Resort for a 30yr old couple...best beach / activities?

You're looking at the wrong place. T&C has a gorgeous beach, but definitely does not have a lively atmosphere. It's very low key and quiet.

The one exception is Club Med, which you might want to look into. It's supposed to be very social and lively. Not sure on pricing, though.

Your budget may be hard to do in T&C, it's an expensive island. And the other two AIs (Beaches and Veranda) are definitely out of your budget and probably aren't what you're looking for, anyway.

Good luck finding the right place!

Knoxville TN
Level Contributor
339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Resort for a 30yr old couple...best beach / activities?

hey pianist718,

T&C may not be your cup of tea then. My wife and I are also in our 30s. We've done the AIs in Cancun and Punta cana..and while we enjoy all the sort of things you can do in those resorts, T&C is known more for its beach and sleepy town feel. Grace bay beach is bounds and leaps better than any of the usual AI destinations though

You will find the daily routine of a T & C vacationer is

Wake up 9am.

Lay on beach 10-4pm

Dinner 6 pm

Sleep 9pm

The town pretty much dies at dark

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,813 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Resort for a 30yr old couple...best beach / activities?

Look into Club Med Turquoise. They have a number of activities that may entertain you. Pricing is pretty affordable during non-peak travel times.

The grounds and beach are gorgeous. The pool is right on the beach. The rooms are cheerful but basic. I think the food is better than most AI's.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,317 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Resort for a 30yr old couple...best beach / activities?

I am thinking Punta Cana. Save T&C to when you get older and tired

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Resort for a 30yr old couple...best beach / activities?

Your budget is going to be hard to do, even at the Club Med, which is probably about the least expensive on the island. If you can get a cheap flight from NY, you might come in very close to $2500.

Club Med is not like other resorts, including other AI resorts; this Club Med is geared toward very active people (although some people prefer to just relax and are happy). If you want to get a better idea (and view) of what the Club Med is all about, check my trip reports with lots of photos at www.hammocktree.us/ms/trips.html and check the Turkoise reports.

Edited: 24 April 2012, 03:29
Boston...
Level Contributor
295 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Resort for a 30yr old couple...best beach / activities?

I would not recommend Club Med Turks. For the island, the place probably offers the most bang for the buck, if you are into activities and don't mind staying in a very spartan room and are okay with limited, declining food quality at the buffet. But you can't compare it to Negril, at all. Especially if Negril was too calm for you... Maybe Cancun/Riviera Maya area?

Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Resort for a 30yr old couple...best beach / activities?

To echo what others have said, I think you might want to change destinations. Aside from wanting a gorgeous beach, I'm going to TCI for the low key, relaxing atmosphere.

Other suggestions: Dominican Republic, Mexico

brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
142 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Resort for a 30yr old couple...best beach / activities?

thanks guys for such great info.

Don't want to sound like I am looking for a party town. I am OK with great calm and relaxing vacation ... just want to have options if we get tired of just laying on the beach. Those option I look for are Wave-runners, boats that can take you to other secluded islands, maybe para-sailing, snorkeling, etc. Nothing too crazy.

I liked Negril. We did the snorkeling and wave-runners were available to us every day. BUT .... don't want to do Negril again.

Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Resort for a 30yr old couple...best beach / activities?

Oh gotcha. The Veranda is a luxury all inclusive. Check into their gardenview studio unit. It would be closest to your price range and you can either stay 5 and pay for only 4 nights or stay 7 and pay for only 5

brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
142 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Resort for a 30yr old couple...best beach / activities?

Dude it's a $700/night hotel :-)