We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Day thoughts.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
First Day thoughts.

We arrived safe and sound albeit late as the pilot had to fly around some weather. Flew in during a heavy rain shower.  6 planes at once from what I counted. By the time we got through immigration luggage and customs, and Avis, our PLS experience was a bit over an hour and a half.  All in total 2 hours late landing from Newark. As that "ultimate" planner I was pissed. Got the the Sands and have a 3 bedroom OF, 2nd floor sweeping views. This unit is under equipped with kitchen supplies.  Headed off to IGA up on Leeward for a short list of supplies (including 2 pitchers for drinks) to get us through.  We plan to use IGA Gourmet the rest of our trip, for no other reason other than convenience. I'll post some prices as examples for newbies when i return home.  Again, not much more $ than a Wegmans or Whole Foods.  Got to the Wine Cellar and I will say Wow!  Beautiful selection of wines. My name is Sheri Lynn and I admit we purchased at total of 17 bottles of assorted spirits, 3 through duty free!  The Gents at Wine Cellar were so helpful, as is the discount on 1/2 cases of wine!  By the time we got back to the unit, unloaded...we were going to miss our reservation at Bay Bistro. And, we were spent.  Much to my chagrin the Ladies all wanted to just go to Hemingways, out of ease and convenience. The place was empty.  I wish I had stuck with the plan for BB as I was really disappointed, and I knew I like their lunches better than dinner. Conch fingers were more like popcorn conch, chewy and flavorless. 3 ahi tuna dinners left me totally underwhelmed, but hey it was 11 hours since we ate anything. Nothing spoils a beautiful piece of tuna more than when it's over cooked.  Ugh. My best girlfriend had a pan fried grouper with black bean salsa dish that I thought was fantastic.  I will say this much for the restaurant, the atmosphere last night had me in a state of relaxation within 15 minutes.  And, I was only drinking bottled water.  It was cozy, the breeze felt right and the lighting was soothing. Maybe it was just total exhaustion, who knows. 

So now I sit here on the balcony over looking Point Grace and the sea.  The breeze is strong and cool, coffee is on. What to do today is all in Mother Natures hands. I wonder if she takes bribes?

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,999 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Day thoughts.

Glad you made it down ok! I am sending good weather thoughts your way, but have fun even during the cloudy times.

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Day thoughts.

Glad you made it to The Sands. Nothing beats the balcony overlooking the ocean and PG while the sun is coming up. Remember you can still burn in the clouds. Have fun and be sure to check in with us.

hp
Level Contributor
357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Day thoughts.

17 bottles of spirits? I am at point grace. I will be right over.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Day thoughts.

Chester, was that you partying hearty last evening? Quite the music coming from the east! If you happened to just hear the fire alarms going off this way...that would be our toaster. Jersey Girls already raising a little hell at the Sands.

Plenty of drink to go around. And wouldn't you know, not one bottle of Bambarra!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,952 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Day thoughts.

sherilynn, here's what I suggest you do. After the 6th bottle today get up and remind the ladies who's the "planner" again. Use the index finger if needed for added dramatics. Stick to the plan

Relax, enjoy, and have a great trip

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
556 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Day thoughts.

1. If you are getting Bambarra rum and like to sip, skip the reserve. Hit fottac in the regent grand shops and get the Trouvadoure. Much nicer, IMHO.

2. Fire alarms scare the crap out of 2 year olds and sleeping dads. Lol.

3. Maybe reschedule BB for Monday night. They are doing a $50 three course lobster dinner. If you like that sort of thing.

Have a great time.

Your Building 3 friend

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Day thoughts.

17 bottles of assorted spirits? That's what I'm talking about! Wish our trips overlapped ;-) Have fun and hope you have a great day.

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First Day thoughts.

Sherilynn

Your travel companions will kick themselves OR you may kick them when you all see how super CLOSE you were to BB last night !! LOL I have never been a fan of Hemingways except for a drink on the patio. Isn't the OF at the Sands nice... so relaxing to sit in the screened porch and it expands the suite so much !

Yum that special lobster dinner on Monday @ BB sounds like a wonderful way to say g'bye to lobster season !! Wish I were there for that !!

Hope the weather clears for you and I'm looking forward to reading your live reports !! How many bottles of Pino Grigio did you buy..any Kris ?? :)

Edited: 29 April 2012, 17:08
Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Day thoughts.

Here's to great weather and no hang-overs!!!!!!

enjoy...xx Gigi

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First Day thoughts.

17 bottles... who cares about the weather? :-)