We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turks C.Med or Columbis Isle C.Med

Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Turks C.Med or Columbis Isle C.Med

Can someone help, can't decide on which resort would be worth paying for? LOve to snorkel and long beaches and good staff at the resort.

Thanks for anyones help with this.

Donna

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,562 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turks C.Med or Columbis Isle C.Med

Provo is adults only and heavy on the action. The resort itself could use a little tlc. It's fun with activities and mingling.

Columbus is a much nicer place, food is amazing, allow kids and is mellow.

The islands are different.

Both have amazing beaches, excellent snorkel.

Provo is a vacationers island, with much to do

Columbus the whole island is isolated, nothing to do other than club med.

Better question, what else do you want out of vacation? What's important to you?

Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turks C.Med or Columbis Isle C.Med

Well, I would ask which is a better value for your money?, I guess.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate your input.

Donna

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turks C.Med or Columbis Isle C.Med

First, as usual, Blamona is right on...

There is very little to do on San Salvador other than the Club Med: a one day island tour takes care of about everything, although I have herd reports of an interesting "jet-ski tour". On the other hand, there is quite a bit to do at the Club Med itself. The Columbus Isle facilities and rooms are nicer, but still not exactly luxurious. The beach at Columbus Isle is shorter, probably "only" about 1.5 miles long, but foot-for-foot, I like it better than Grace Bay beach because of the general lack of development along it and multiple little coral heads just off the beach. Club Med is the only resort/building on the beach.

If you were diving, I'd say the diving is better at Columbus Isle but it is almost all wall diving and this is generally not useful for snorkelers. I think the snorkeling is actually a little better at Turkoise because there are more shallow reefs there.

Both can be a good value if you watch the specials and use an experienced Club Med "expert" travel agent (some of whom give significant rebates). At the moment, I think Columbus Isle is offering great deals. We just booked a week there (next week) for a net cost of about $1900 for 2, including the charter flight from Ft Lauderdale. With Club Med it is very important to watch the specials (and/or work closely with a knowledgeable agent) to get good deals.

Columbus Isle is a quieter village, since most visitors are divers and they tend to go to bed early.. There is not much dancing or partying in the evenings. Also, because there is a large charter jet from Paris once a week, there are a lot of European, especially French, GMs most of the time.

Another point is that Columbus Isle does not have the circus/trapeze activities, but does have (or did the last time we were there) archery and water skiing.

We think the food is a bit better at CI, partly because of the Europeans, especially the French. Club Med is a French company and the French visitors would not put up with poor food or wine (like what was served at Turkoise for a while).

You might want to check my trip reports page:

www.hammocktree.us/ms/trips.html There are several trip reports with photos from Turkoise and, further down on the list, some reports from Columbus Isle. I'll probably have a fresh report for CI a couple of weeks from now.

Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turks C.Med or Columbis Isle C.Med

Hi Marietta,

Thank you so much for your help, its very appreciated.

Donna

Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turks C.Med or Columbis Isle C.Med

You were very helpfull and offering me your reviews, thanks so very much.

Donna

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turks C.Med or Columbis Isle C.Med

If you have not been to a Club Med previously, I strongly suggest reading the "First time GM Guide" at the top of my trip reports page. Club Med is quite different from a normal resort and the guide will get you off to a good start by understanding what is going on and what to expect.

Wherever you end up going, have fun!

Douglassville...
Level Contributor
146 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turks C.Med or Columbis Isle C.Med

Thanks for your post, Amateur. I was curious how the two compared as well. Now I know :-) Looking forward to your trip report. Enjoy!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turks C.Med or Columbis Isle C.Med

I will be watching and look forward to that report, thanks.

Hope you have a great time.

Edited: 03 May 2012, 12:53
Milford...
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turks C.Med or Columbis Isle C.Med

Thanks for the comparison....was wondering about Columbus Isle

10. Re: Turks C.Med or Columbis Isle C.Med

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 11:16