We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel in summer hurricane season or not?

chicago, il
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
travel in summer hurricane season or not?

Would like to plan a 9-day summer vacation to Turks and Caicos. Wife however is quite spooked about risk of hurricanes/tropical storms ruining the vacation. Is the risk that great in others opinions to change dates to spring vacation?? Would appreciate and love to hear from anyone and everyone...thanks in advance!!

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel in summer hurricane season or not?

We have been there several years in July, August and September.

Not to say you might not have weather issues...but we love it in Summer.

Just our experiences....

Mike

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
750 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: travel in summer hurricane season or not?

I always come down in late June and early July it is quite beauitful then. For some years now I have returned in Late August early September, after bad experiences to past two years I have decided to skip this visiting time. Experiencing Hurricane Irene last year is not for me!

Edited: 27 May 2012, 15:43
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel in summer hurricane season or not?

We usually go in June, and have added an additional trip in November the past few years, but I'd go in a heartbeat during hurricane season - with travel insurance in case we had to switch up dates due to a storm. As a matter of fact, I'm currently looking at taking a quick sisters trip in late August - early September time frame for this year. No problem - no worries.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel in summer hurricane season or not?

We've been to Provo 10 times in Sept or early Oct and have never been seriously impacted by a tropical storm. We had a couple of days of high waves from a distant storm. The closest we have come to being impacted was one time when the Miami airport was closed due to an approaching hurricane about 45 minutes after we took off heading for PLS.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel in summer hurricane season or not?

We've visited during June, July, August and November. So far, our record is 12-0 during those months. Hopefully we'll go to 13-0 in a couple of weeks. :-)

6. Re: travel in summer hurricane season or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:17