We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here Now at the Sands

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,590 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Here Now at the Sands

Arrived today for our first time to T&C. Immigration and customs was painless and together took about 20 minutes. We were met by a rep from Grace Bay Car Rentals and took possession of our right sided steering Toyota. Took about 10 minutes to complete the paperwork. Not sure why I had to pay the $4 to get out of the lot but it is what it is.

This was the first time I have driven intentionally on the right side of the road. I will second those that state that their windshields are really, really clean. Every time I signal I turn on the wipers on by mistake :). I was really focused on driving and made it to the Sands unscathed by 2:00 pm. The room was not yet ready (2 bedroom) so we went to Hemmingways for lunch. Hemmingways was quite good and reasonably priced with lunch entrees about $13 each. After lunch we moved into our garden view room unit.

The grounds at the Sands are quite nice and the unit was a little dated but very clean. A few floor tiles are cracked and the furnituure is showing its age. Very functional but it looks like a 3 star unit on the inside albeit very clean. We brought some snacks, cans of tuna fish, etc. and we called for a can opener as one was missing from the room and one was quickly delivered. Kudos to the staff for this and for a speedy check in.

One in our group forgot to pack a bathing suit so we drove down to the Salt Mills shopping center to buy one. I don't remember the name of the store but they were $45 in the first shop and $20 :) in the second. We then went to the IGA Gourmet for a few items. Back to the Sands to check out the pool and beach.

This evening we ate at Mngo Reef and it was very, very good. Dinner for four adults was $180 including tax and tip. We didn't drink but we had 2 appetizers for the table and 4 entrees.

Tomorrow will be a beach day here at the Sands and we plan a snorkeling excursion on Friday and I am diving on Saturday. The weather is quite warm and humid with a gentle breeze this afternoon which picked up this evening. It was overcast this afternoon and I guess it will be really, really hot if the clouds clear in the morning.

Happy to answer any questions.

Edited: 21 June 2012, 02:32
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,590 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Here Now at the Sands

Yes I am diving with Flamingo Divers in the morning (Saturday). Not a fan of the choppy surf so I hope it is calmer tomorrow so I don't have to feed the fish :). Off to Bay Bistro for dinner.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Here Now at the Sands

Sorry to hear about the choppy water and high wind. Sounds like you're having a good time though. Hope you all enjoy your dive trip.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Here Now at the Sands

Looking forward to meeting you in the morning!

The diving should be great!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Here Now at the Sands

Last week, there was very little chop, and little wind (often very still). This is why I cringe when someone wants to know how the weather's gonna be for them, based on someone else's experience. The tropics are constantly changing, so how it was a week ago or a year ago means nothing.

Enjoying your reports. :-)

Edited: 23 June 2012, 03:34
ohio
Level Contributor
227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Here Now at the Sands

Enjoyed your post. Heading to Provo in the fall. Had to laugh on your observations about windshield wipers. In the Cayman's -we called that a tourist turn signal!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Here Now at the Sands

Thanks for all your reports. Love reading them!

Hopefully you were all able to get out diving today.

Enjoy!

Washington DC, USA
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Here Now at the Sands

Would love to hear about island vibes. We are arriving on the 30th. Can't wait!

ohio
Level Contributor
227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Here Now at the Sands

Thanks for the insight. We are coming in the fall. Reserved a 1bedroom oceanfront. Is it really as lovely as the pictures of the suites on the Sand's. website?If so - I may never leave! Thanks. Maeve

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Here Now at the Sands

Thank you for your reports, we will be arriving at The Sands July 1st.

Our 2nd time staying there, and the beach is perfect and location was great, a short walk to the Saltmills. I especially like that Bay Bistro is next door. I am hoping there will be a full moon while we are there so we can do the pig roast at Bay Bistro (if they still have it).

Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Pittsburgh...
9 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Here Now at the Sands

We are arriving at the Sands next week and have 4 children. Do the buildings have elevators? Any other advice on the Sands as far as children go? What building, rooms have best views, etc?

Thanks!