We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get over my fear of driving on the left?

dallas
Level Contributor
145 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get over my fear of driving on the left?

I'd love to explore T & C from behind the wheel of a car, but it freaks me out to sit in a car driving down the left side of the road. I can't imagine driving! I've been driving for 30 years and I'd like to think I'm capable of learning new things. I'm just afraid driving on the right is so ingrained I'll revert to old habits at just the wrong time. Please, someone tell me driving on the left is easy and I shouldn't worry! Or, if necessary, tell me to stick to a cab.

Thanks!

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get over my fear of driving on the left?

Just stick to one or two cocktails for dinner....and you should be fine! lol

Mike

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
478 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get over my fear of driving on the left?

You'll be fine. Id be more worried about the round a bouts if you're not used to those!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get over my fear of driving on the left?

For many trips, I was afraid to drive on the left and now I love it and drive us everywhere while we are down there.

Best advice I can give is rent a vehicle with the steering wheel on the right, then just keep the right front wheel in line with the middle line in the road. As soon as you're out in traffic, you get the hang of it as you are going with the flow of traffic.

Good luck!!

Milltown, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get over my fear of driving on the left?

I joke with Dan that he drives better on the left.lol

Edited: 06 September 2012, 01:15
Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get over my fear of driving on the left?

Driving on the right here is far scarier!

United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get over my fear of driving on the left?

A great way to get over the fear is to listen to everyone on this forum from the US that "insist on renting a car and driving around the island".

I don't think I heard anyone say driving on the left is not easy to get use to. Plus the population is 1/3 of drivers on the road then at home and that alone is incentive to give it a try.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
612 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get over my fear of driving on the left?

You want scary,try driving on the left in St Thomas...

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,304 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get over my fear of driving on the left?

Pretending you're just riding the passing lane! Most drivers on I95 do anyway!

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get over my fear of driving on the left?

Just follow the traffic flow and remember when making turns to stay to the left. I think the biggest issue you'll have, as most of us have done, is turning on the wipers when thinking your using your turn signal. Even after all our trips I still do it at least once per trip.

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
180 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I get over my fear of driving on the left?

Every trip it takes a bit of getting used to again, but it's not so hard when the steering wheel is on the left. All the rentals we've had in the islands have the steering wheel on the left. In Ireland, the steering wheel was on the right and with those narrow roads and rock wall, I was terrified (the passenger). When the wheel is on the left, just keep yourself along the edge, and you're not going to hit anything.

For roundabouts, we always talk through them out loud, "Yield right, go left." You'll find it isn't so hard after a few roundabouts. When you get home, be sure to talk yourself through driving on the right again - it takes a bit of adjusting back to normal again too. Good luck!

Edited to add: I just remembered what the doorman at the Cuisinart Resort in Anguilla told us, "Left is right, Right is wrong!"

Edited: 06 September 2012, 02:25