We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provo or Exumas?

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Provo or Exumas?

I was set on visiting Provo sometime next spring when I came across pictures of Exumas Land and Sea Park in The Bahamas. Now I'm torn. I fell in love with the swirling white sand at the Exumas but according to some of the reviews I've read, the water in Provo is still unbeatable due to its intense turquoise color.

Another concern for me is the logistics. Provo just seems to be much easier to access. I'm also interested in doing a day trip to Mudjin Harbor and Chalk Sound seems really pretty. But I'm really blown away by the mosaic of white sand in the Exumas.

So which one should I choose? Also, I'd appreciate suggestions for comparable islands/ alternatives.

Thank you! :)

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Provo or Exumas?

You answered your question by choosing Provo 3 to 1. Exumas got the sand. Provo got the water, logistics, and day trips. A little plus, rent a small boat from Above-It-All (MIKE) and you will see several small islands with sandy white beaches. DR. JIM

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Provo or Exumas?

thanks. i'm afraid i'm still torn because based on the pictures, the exumas have more of that wow factor but again, it's hard to tell. and i know it's shallow but i really like that mosaic/swirling effect of the sand. it's pretty spectacular. :)

maryland
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provo or Exumas?

Every trip, every day, I say "wow", sometimes three or four times a day, when I see the water in TCI. It really is that incredable.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provo or Exumas?

Water is absolutely stunning at both.

2 of my favorite places, but very different from each other.

Here's the thing about Exumas, you can't see it all in 1 trip, the chain is actually divided in 2. What I mean:

Great Beaches if based out of Great Exuma, especially on the uninhabited cays, but you do have to rent a boat for the day to explore most of them

The swirly sands you're talking about are seen from boat at Staniel Cay.

You can't combine Staniel Cay and Great Exuma, one is reached by Nassau, the other by Ft. Lauderdale. Requires flight to see both!

If never been to Provo, I say try there first. Then once more experienced traveler, expand to Exumas.

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Provo or Exumas?

The biggest draw for me to Provo as well. Really so confused!

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Provo or Exumas?

hi blamona. thanks. so access to staniel cay is thru nassau? i've been searching for flights to staneil cay and can't find any.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Provo or Exumas?

Access to Staniel Cay is through Ft. Lauderdale.

And you'll miss out on some of the great beach at Great Exuma, such as Coco Plum and Tropic of Cancer.

Really, Exumas are stunning, but for more seasoned traveler.

Start with Provo.

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Provo or Exumas?

thanks again. i'm afraid i really can't do both provo and exumas, which is why i was asking for input from more seasoned travelers here to compare the two. i've been to the bahamas (harbour island) so i'm not really sure how much more of an introduction i need to the region.

i found flamingo air which flies from nassau to staniel cay. anyone has any experience with this carrier? thanks again :)

Edited: 06 November 2012, 23:21
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Provo or Exumas?

Since you've decided on Exumas, it's best to go over to Exumas forums for questions like Flamingo Air.

Harbour Island is a lot more "Chic" and restaurants fantastic when compared to Exumas. Exumas are extremely rustic and completely different from HI. Not all Out Islands are the same.......

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
652 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Provo or Exumas?

Been to Provo and Exuma as well......amazing water and beaches at both....We stayed in Exuma but took a boat to Staniel Cay which was definitely worth the trip!

Definitely check the Exuma forum for more info!

Enjoy!!