We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
nyc
Level Contributor
126 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
trying to decide if I should rent a car or use taxi

I will be going to Provo for the first time in a couple of weeks, arriving on a Sunday afternoon and leaving on a Saturday afternoon 6 days later; staying at the Sands.

How difficult is it to drive in Provo? I am unfamiliar with driving on the "wrong" side of the road...is this difficult or easier than you would think?

I can get an micro car from avis at the airport for a mere $229 which is fine since just two of us will be traveling. We would like to visit Chalk Sound, Long Bay perhaps some restaurants a drive away,at a minimum.

Do you suggest I get a car for a few days? Larger one? Take taxis?

All comments are welcome.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trying to decide if I should rent a car or use taxi

I would rent a car. You can come and go as you please. Taxis will be expensive. You can rent the whole time or rent the last part of your trip and just drive to the airport and drop off the car. If it's just two of you rent a smaller car. We are a family of four with 5-6 pieces of luggage so we rent a SUV. Unless you plan on staying at the resort for dinners or walking down the beach to other restaurants within walking distance, you will not be able to enjoy any of the fabulous restaurants on Provo if you do not rent a car.

djb

Edited: 05 January 2013, 18:40
Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: trying to decide if I should rent a car or use taxi

A short answer to your 5 questions. Rent a puddle bug/clown car for the week and enjoy driving on the wrong(left) side of the road. DR. JIM

colorado springs
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: trying to decide if I should rent a car or use taxi

We just got back and were happy to have rented the car for our stay. Very easy to navigate and driving on the other side of the road is easy to pick up. Hardest part was figuring out where the turn signal was. The car with the windshield wipers going on a perfectly sunny day was us!!

new york
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: trying to decide if I should rent a car or use taxi

I am also an obsessive planner and we rented a car. I would definitely recommend it. It only took a short while to get used to driving on the left. The roads are easy to navigate and the island is small so you really can't get lost. Grace Bay Car Rentals extremely easy to work with. Easier than taxis.

Pryor, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
518 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trying to decide if I should rent a car or use taxi

Get the car rental. It just takes a little bit to get used to driving on the wrong side. Don't listen to getmetoabeach, that was us with the wipers going!! LOL

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trying to decide if I should rent a car or use taxi

A rental car is a more affordable way to see the island,stock your unit, and go to great restaurants to dine.

And.....you will love The Sands....a great moderately priced resort.

And Hemingways is great for a casual meal.

Have a great trip.

Mike

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trying to decide if I should rent a car or use taxi

Once you see the roads there you'll understand what everybody is talking about. It will take you 2 minutes to get used to driving on the other side. But if you going to rent just to avoid taxi costs to restaurants than I dont think you'll be saving anything.

Rent a car at least for a few days and see the island. Got to Taylor Bay/Chalk Sound and Blue Hills at the very least

8. Re: trying to decide if I should rent a car or use taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 05:17