We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches vs RWI

Alexandria VA
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Beaches vs RWI

My boyfriend and I went to Beaches in October 2002. We do not have children and are in our mid 30's. The resort was empty and we had an awesome time. At the time, the travel industry was suffering due to 9/11.

Our memories of Beaches are fabulous and really want to stay there again. We stayed in the French Quarter were that section was pretty much brand new. We are just concerned that the resort will be really crowded and full of children. Although I was thinking since it is in October shouldn't all the kids be in school? Has anyone been there during October over the last couple of years?

Several of the Beaches reviews are very critical and I can't believe it is the same place. How could it go downhill that fast?

I have also been researching RWI and have noticed that everyone loves the place. It looks beautiful. My only concern is that we have to actually leave the property in search of food. We liked the convenience of Beaches were we could get anything at anytime. The whole idea of having to go to the IGA and make our own meals doesn't seem like a vacation.

What does everyone recommend? Thanks for your help. We are really having a tough time deciding what to do.

Ottawa CANADA
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches vs RWI

Matisse1 - I have not been to Beaches or RWI but have researched RWI extensively and have reserved there for 10 days in October 2006. As you noted, the revews for RWI are outstanding and the resort truly looks beautiful. You should also note that the restaurant at the RWI - Mango Reef has also received many positive reviews. So you wouldn't have to go far for a good meal. Check out the posts, there are many highly recommended restaurants in Provo. Good luck!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,465 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches vs RWI

I've stayed at both. I like Beaches and had fun, but I really like RWI more. It feels like a completely different vacation. The food at any restaurant on Grace Bay is better than Beaches. (Not that it's bad at Beaches, for an AI it's pretty good, and I ate like a pig!)

Beaches sells out alot, so it's going to be crowded, it's really gotten popular since 2002. I think Beaches is one of the best AI, BUT

I love the feeling of the other resorts on Grace Bay, and think the restaurants are excellent.

I really think it's just what you want out of a vacation.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches vs RWI

We stayed at RWI and diddn't even think about cooking. The restaurant on site is pretty good and you are within walking distance of several other places to eat. I'm with you--who wants to cook on vacation? The only thing I cooked was coffee and a bagel to eat on my balcony as I watched the beach wake up.

Lovely place and I would go back in a heart beat.

Have a great trip.

Alexandria VA
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches vs RWI

Good advice so far. Thank you everyone.

A couple of more questions......

What about hurricane season? Beaches offers a hurricane guarantee which is pretty nice. I wonder if any other resort has the same policy?

Has anyone been at one of the resorts when hurricane type winds occurred?

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches vs RWI

Just food for thought....

I book with Classic Vacations. If you buy travel insurance thru them, the entire trip is 100% refundable up until the day you leave AND for any reason. Even then if you get where you go & hate it....... You can move resorts & just pay difference in cost in the hotel.

I love that security. Anything in life is possible.... As they say murphy's law...what can happen sometimes does.. So when you spend 7K plus on a vacation..... you know you can cancel if the "time isn't right".

But thats my idea. And I love the convenience. I have considered booking "privately" thru an owner at RWI... BUT I don't get the back up plan if its needed. So its a risk, so just depends on cost vs. flexibility type of thing.

www.classicvacations.com RWI, The Sands & Beaches are all available....

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches vs RWI

There are many kinds of travel insurance available. Google "travel insurance" or "trip insurance" and you will see many sites to compare. I think it's mytripinsurance.com (but not 100% positive) that offers an easy-to-compare drop-down menu of different features and rates. Read carefully all the details of the policies you are considering - it's worth it to read all the fine print.

We rented through the owner the same unit at RWI that Traciedee and EllieBean rented (through vrbo.com). I felt very secure going with our policy - it covered trip cancellation for a number of reasons, including sickness, weather, airline cancellations, and also things like medical emergencies and lost luggage.

We cooked breakfast in our unit, but that's about it! The price difference between Beaches and RWI should make up for the cost of going out for dinners, and there are so many amazing restaurants in Provo that for us we had a blast going out.

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
441 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches vs RWI

Matisse, we stayed in Unit 123 at RWI in February. It is the best room in my opinion, closest to the beach, second floor. The room itself is sufficient, just like a hotel room, but with a kitchenette (no oven) but it does have a full-size fridge, microwave, and even a hot plate if I remember correctly. Anyway, I booked through VRBO.COM. Have a great time!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches vs RWI

Have you considered Club Med it is an all inclusive and an adult resort.