We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Club Med

Narragansett, Rhode...
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Club Med

Can anyone who has been to Club Med recently offer any information? We had kind of scratched it off our list, as it had so many negative reviews (old, tired, motel-ish), but noticed that recent reviews have been much better. The beach looks just spectacular, so we are torn. Some posts seem to indicate that there are snorkel trip each day to nearby areas that are free?? Does anyone know if this is accurate (the website doesn't specify). That would be a big plus for us, as we will be paying for two couples, two rooms, etc. Can anyone with recent info speak to the food quality, cleanliness, room facilities? And, can you get bottled water at the resort as part of the all-inclusive package? My husband is diabetic and pretty much needs to walk around with cold, bottled water at all times. I had seen a post somewhere that said that while this is AI, that bottled water isn't available? And, for anyone who has been there recently, is it a place that you would take a "fussy" traveler? We have three roll with the punches people, and one somewhat fussy, nervous traveler. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!! (PS: any particular excursions people might recommend??).

New York City
Level Contributor
186 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Club Med

We have walked past and it appears to be tired. We were seated next to a couple at the airport who had been and they were pleased with the entertainment, but highly disappointed in the accommodations. After seeing some of their pictures, I certainly would not want to stay there. The pictures from November depicted rooms with leaky, molding a/c units, broken bathroom tile and generally in desperate need of a renovation. Another thing that was mentioned was poor Internet accessibility. The beach stretch is beautiful, but there are other wide stretches where you may be just as happy. There are many other options, affordable and on beautiful grace bay.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,573 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Club Med

The rooms and such are a bit tired, but not terrible... they are comfortable and clean. Bottled water is provided, but you are asked to refill plastic bottles from "refilling stations" around the village rather then keep using new bottles. (Some don't like this, but it is something we do anyway/normally.)

There are two included snorkel trips daily. Also sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, tennis, circus/trapeze, and lots of other sports. Club Med is a French company, so food is more European style and we consider it pretty good, not great. You won't see thick juicy steaks or other such American foods. A "fussy" traveler might have a problem with the lack of things like balconies or fancy accommodations.

To get a good idea, check my trip reports to Club Med Turkoise on my web page: www.hammocktree.us/ms/trips.html Also see the "Guide for First TIme GMs" at the top of that page for more information on just what Club Med is all about.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Club Med

I don't remember the water being bottled, more like plastic cups you keep filling.

The rooms are old and basic, no balcony or patio. Food used be terrific, has really gone down hill.

It still attracts people on budgets, and has it's own vibe, if you ever have been tova club med you know what I mean.

It's on a gorgeous stretch of beach, but so is all the other resorts on that glorious beach.

There are so many great places to stay there, if on a tight budget, most are condos with full kitchens. You can bring in a cooler of food and cook, and still enjoy that fantastic beach. And have all the bottled water you want in your kitchen!

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Club Med

Hey.

I was there last week, so here's a fair and honest answer.

The actual hotel is a little run down in the sense that it is old and not sparkling new. But the great thing about going to a place like this is that your actual time spent indoors is little to none, so it really shouldn't make or break your vacation!

The activities they offer as well as staff are incomparable to other hotels.

The beach is spectacular, actually nicer than in front of other hotels we walked past, perhaps better maintained?

Food and drinks are good, not necessarily over the top, but there are options for everyone and considering everything has to be imported I think they manage the buffet very nicely. They have one a la carte restaurant which is sensational, but you need to reserve a day in advance.

As for snorkeling, they have to trips out everyday. Lots of coral reef and fun things to see. It's whale season right now, and we got so see some, so that was pretty cool.

They also have a catamaran trip once a week to iguana island that's all included and really picturesque. I highly recommend it.

All in all totally worth it!! Don't get bummed out by people who are too picky about the irrelevant details. I promise you won't regret it!

Cheers

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Club Med

Hey.

I was there last week, so here's a fair and honest answer.

The actual hotel is a little run down in the sense that it is old and not sparkling new. But the great thing about going to a place like this is that your actual time spent indoors is little to none, so it really shouldn't make or break your vacation!

The activities they offer as well as staff are incomparable to other hotels.

The beach is spectacular, actually nicer than in front of other hotels we walked past, perhaps better maintained?

Food and drinks are good, not necessarily over the top, but there are options for everyone and considering everything has to be imported I think they manage the buffet very nicely. They have one a la carte restaurant which is sensational, but you need to reserve a day in advance.

As for snorkeling, they have to trips out everyday. Lots of coral reef and fun things to see. It's whale season right now, and we got so see some, so that was pretty cool.

They also have a catamaran trip once a week to iguana island that's all included and really picturesque. I highly recommend it.

All in all totally worth it!! Don't get bummed out by people who are too picky about the irrelevant details. I promise you won't regret it!

Cheers

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,573 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Club Med

This may not apply to the OP, but one thing I'll point out that we like about Club Med, in general, not just this village....

Much of the sports equipment is of significantly better quality than most resorts. For example, Club Med sailing includes not just the typical Hobie Waves (very basic and simple/safe catamarans) but also the much more fun (and challenging) Hobie 16s and Hobie MAXs (18s). It is very unusual to find Hobie 16s available at a resort, and certainly not included in the basic price. Likewise, the windsurf equipment, while not the same caliber as at a dedicated windsurf shop, is much better and more capable than at about any other resort we have been to. The rooms and such may be a bit worn, but the sports equipment is hard to beat.

Oh, to clarify the water issue... Each room gets a couple of (plastic) bottles of water with the request that you refill them as needed at the refill stations around the village. The housekeeping staff will replace 'missing' bottles of water on a somewhat 'irregular' basis. You can also specifically request fresh bottles of water from housekeeping. I believe you can also request a fresh bottle of water from the main bar, but we have never actually done this so I can't say for sure. Again, we don't consider the refill process an issue since this is what we normally do, both at home and at other resorts.

Narragansett, Rhode...
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Club Med

Thank you! I appreciate all you responses. They were very helpful!

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
831 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Club Med

I love Club Med, it gets a bad rap (Club Dread, etc) but it has a great feel to it as well as the best location on Grace Bay. Our first trip was in April 2001 and we have since traveled extensivly around the Caribbean looking for something comparable. Finally got back in Oct 2009 and felt right at home.

We would go back in a heartbeat!

Check out photos at: …photobucket.com/user/…

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
9. Re: Club Med

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 05:15