We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Winter Reprieve in North

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
649 posts
Save Topic
A Winter Reprieve in North

What a long day....but after 13 hours we made it to the solitude of North, and just in time. As I'm sitting with my glass of wine listening to the ocean waves, we are getting another round of snow back home. That makes the trip even more worth it.

We started with a 2:00 am wake-up. Yes...2:00 am. I told my hubby that this was when we used to be going to bed, and waking up at this hour is just insane. Of course my oldest bebopped into our room at 2:15, dressed and ready to go. Middle boy soon followed...only the toddler got to be carried to the car in his pajamas.

I thought...of course the boys will all lay their heads back and go back to sleep on our drive to Boston. What was I thinking? Instead it was an hour of excited chatter...I'm glad they have already been seduced by our paradise, but for this non-morning mom it was making for a rough start.

Luckily our flights were rather non-eventful, but of course no one slept on either flight. For some reason my children are not big sleepers. We landed and went through customs smoothly. We did have a cooler and a suitcase full of food and wine and scotch, and had no issues.

Got our rental car and headed to the brewery to pick up some Turks Head...found it thanks to the directions from here, but when we got there they said they were out of lager. Seriously?? How can that be? So off to lunch, since we had 3 hours to kill before the ferry to north. We drove by our usual spot, The Conch Shack, and headed to Sailing Paradise. How quaint the painted buildings were. There was one other family there, which was nice because then my boys could just roam around and be "boys". I ordered the cracked conch and hubby the conch burger. I was happy with mine. The breading was nice and light, so it didnt make me feel like a fat pig after eating it. Although at this point I would be happy with just about anything by the ocean (and yes a drink or two was had, which helped increase the happiness factor).

Since we still needed our liquid mood enhancers, we headed to the

Wine cellar. I believe hubby said a case of Turks Head was around $40. Better than $60, but still crazy. We still had time to waste and wee ones were starting to melt, so we headed for ice cream. That seemed to help and killed 30 minutes.

We caught the 3:00 ferry, which was a first for me. Last time we flew over. This was more of a pain with luggage and killing time in Provo, but it was a more scenic route. Arriving at our rental was heaven. The older boys remembered from last year and were sooo excited. I think I heard "can we go swimming now?" 10 times in the course of 10 minutes. A bit annoying, especially since we had a crapload of stuff to unpack, but understandable. We sent the big boys to swim in the pool at the house, while we distracted the wee one with toys and food.

The benefit of an early wake up is that all the boys were asleep by 7:00. So hubby and I were able to enjoy some solitude listening to the waves and admiring the full moon. It's incredible. We walked to the beach and didn't even need a light. I must have said "we could go swimming it's so bright" 10 times in 10 minutes. I guess my kids get it naturally.

It looks like the house next door is not rented this week, so we seem to have the beach all to ourselves. When we asked our wee one what we were going to do once we got to North, he said "we're going to do nothing." So i think i will take his advice.

We do plan to go to middle to check out the new restaurant at Mudjin Harbor, and also have to hit Bambarra for lunch. And for a new twist we are heading back to Provo to stay at the Sands for two nights; therefore, we can avoid the dreaded Saturday departure and 2 more days of a dreadful New England winter.

Ok. 2:00 am wake-up + red wine + sound of the ocean and ocean breeze = an ambien substitute. Night all.

Indianoplace
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: A Winter Reprieve in North

3boys...

So jealous! Lucky ducks! Seriously, celebrate the solitude. It goes fast!

Sunny!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Winter Reprieve in North

After that adventure...red wine and the ocean breezes sound wonderful!

Enjoy your family time on North Caicos!

Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Winter Reprieve in North

Have a great time!

Feel free to post any Counter Tourism Measures such as sea weed, flotsam & jetsam, snakes or scary spiders.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,834 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Winter Reprieve in North

Nice to hear you made it ok! Have a great stay.

VT
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A Winter Reprieve in North

Enjoy your "doing nothing!" Can be a long day of travel coming from Northeast. North is the quickest decompression there is for us on vacation!

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,053 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Winter Reprieve in North

Sounds wonderful so far.

How much fun for those lucky little boys and memories they will have.

Enjoy.

Mike

Milltown, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Winter Reprieve in North

You did have an early morning adventure..

You are off to another great family vacation. Someday the boys will be bringing their families there too.

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
649 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A Winter Reprieve in North

Ahh yes Dash...I forgot to mention in my sleep deprived state how the island is being infested with rats. Giant, ferocious ones and I'm sure when we go to the beach today there will be scary sea creatures. And the Internet is terribly slow..

But seriously at lunch yesterday when I came back from the beach with the boys I heard hubby talking to the other family about North, giving too many praises and telling how we found where we stay. I was trying to give him the evil eye to BE QUIET. After they left I informed him that we do not talk about our happy place to others. The secret must not be shared!!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Winter Reprieve in North

Keep up the good work 3boys.nh Don't tell anyone...look what happen to " Provo.'

Have a Wonderful vacation, and take lots of pictures for us.

ENJOY !!!!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A Winter Reprieve in North

The first rule of North Caicos is....

Have a great trip. Are you staying at Cecilia again?