We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May Trip Report - Simply Speechless!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
May Trip Report - Simply Speechless!

One of the most important things to start off with is our trip would not have been as magnificent without the wealth of knowledge and advice shared on TA! Thank you everyone who contributed all the important info! We have planned this trip quite far in advance and read a lot of trip reports thanks to this forum so hope to give back a little for those planning their trip as well.

My wife and I spent the last leg of our honeymoon in Providenciales from May 8th to May 12th. It was too short a stay of course but sufficient to leave enough beautiful photographs and wonderful memory to last a life time. We hope we have a chance to come back but the fact that we live in Hong Kong makes this perhaps a bit difficult.

We landed at 2:30pm on May 8th to a cloudy and drizzling Providenciales. After an hour waiting to pass through immigration, we got our car from Grace Bay Rentals and drove to our hotel. Grace Bay Rentals was amazingly efficient and the lady was holding a sign to give us a warm welcome at the arrivals. After 10 minutes going through the formalities, we got a map and off towards our apartment rental. As much as we fully expected tropical destination to be prone to capricious weather, we cannot help but felt a little disappointed that when we checked into our penthouse unit at Villa Renaissance, we did not see the amazing blue and turquoise Grace Bay out of our spacious terraces which we spent months before drooling over images from TA. Undeterred by the iffy weather, we drove out to Sailing Paradise for a quiet but wonderful lunch. The waitress there greeted us warmly and we ordered a wonderful conch salad and Turks' Head beer whilst my wife ordered a soft drink and conch fritters. Our mood recovered some, and with the rain stopped, we went back to Grace Bay for a leisurely stroll until dinner night. We drove to Caicos Café for another wonderful and quiet meal. By the way, Villa Renaissance was perfect for us - it was quiet, intimate and no children at all. We like to be out and about so we didn't really need a full service hotel. And the unit (I think 403) was rented through Allied Management and we had a huge terrace and high ceiling and everything was immaculate. Mel from Allied Management gave us the key and made sure everything was okay. She was kind and helpful and I highly recommend renting through them (you can look up the units on VRBO).

We woke up to another cloudy day and we were glad it wasn't really raining. We had planned to dive today and the following day with Flamingo Divers. Jayne picked us up from our hotel and off we went for two wonderful dives at West Caicos. Jayne and Mickey ran an excellent diving outfit and made sure we had a great time. In the two dives we did, we saw sharks, groupers, lobsters and many more. After the morning's dive, we drove to Las Crias at Chalk Sound. With the cloudy sky, the water at Chalk Sound turned a milky white and we relaxed at the little terrace and enjoyed a relaxing lunch. We drove then to check out Taylor Bay - it was a little hard to find initially but if you go down Chalk Sound Drive and turn left when you see "Sunset Bay" development, you will eventually end up at a tennis court. Park there and take a leap of faith and walk down the unmarked path, you will soon find youself at a really really shallow bay that glows blue even on a cloudy day! We were so amazing at how far the bay is still shallow and spent a few hours until sunset enjoying the cool breeze and warm water…And the bottom was fine white powder sand…no rocks or seagrasses whatsoever…it was like you are stepping on a natural carpet…Life seemed so distant at that moment. We had dinner at a new Italian place near Renaissance called Lupo - the food and service were excellent even though its setting is less romantic than Caicos Café.

The next day was a similar routine…except when we woke up, the sun was shining and the clouds were disspating!! The many shades of blue and green and whatever color in between were all over Grace Bay!! We did another two wonderful dives with Jayne and Mickey and went to lunch at the Conch Shack afterwards. We cannot imagine a better pace to kick back with a Turk's beer, conch salad and chower and fritters facing the light blue ocean, taking in the scenery and enjoying the food…We loved Taylor Bay so much we drove back to it after lunch. And holy cow…we have never seen water so turquoise and clear sparkling under the sun, how quiet and desolate with only a couple enjoying the beach a hundred meter from us. We were simply awestruck and speechless…

The following day we took a ferry to Middle Caicos. We reserved ferry tickets but it seemed like it wasn't necessarily as the lady didn't even ask for our names. Just make sure we get there around 9am to sort out the logistics as the ferry DOES leave at exactly 9:30am. Oh I almost forget to say we had breakfast almost every day at Caicos Bakery - the pastries were simply amazing. We landed at Middle Caicos around 10am and found Mark from Pelican Rentals waiting for us. You need to call ahead to arrange for a car but otherwise it was a breeze to get going once you get on a car. It was a easy drive and about an hour afterwards, we found ourselves at Mudjin Harbour. It was of course as beautiful as everyone said it was and very easy to find (just follow to sign to Blue Horizon) - so I won't repeat what others have said. We had lunch at Daniel's Café and met Daniel and chatted a bit. After lunch we continued driving to Bambarra Beach - now for those planning a visit, make sure you drive all the way to the "correct" stretch of the Bambarra Beach as there are a few entry points before which will also bring you to the same beach. You should drive all the way until you see an old stall with a bunch of buoys with a sign which said clearly "Bambarra Beach". We ran into another couple who told us they wished they had driven straight to this entry point…and again we found ourselves at this amazing beach with no one in sight…the water was again so shallow and so clear that it wasn't even turquoise, it was simply transparent! The sand wasn't as soft as Taylor Bay (so Taylor Bay still was our favorite) but the strech of water was wider than Taylor Bay and there was an island a few hundred meters direclty in front of the beach that you can simply walk there without the water ever rising above your legs!! The remoteness and beauty again left us speechless and we spent a romantic afternoon enjoying the beach, sea and each other. And soon it was 4pm which means we had to drive back for our 5:30pm - and how sad it was for me to leave, my wife literally had to drag me away…

For the last morning we took a half day tour with Caicos Dream and spent the morning snorkeling, looking for shells and diving for conch. Whilst it was a bit touristy, it was still a lot of fun - and I finally have a chance to swim in deeper water and the water was simply glowing blue. I have never swum in water so amazing before and we found a few shells and conch to take home with us - my wife really wanted to find a complete sand dollar unfortunately we only found fragments of it…

Well as you can tell from the report, we really wish we were back in Provo now…but at least we have pictures to re-live part of our memory. Hope you enjoy reading this report! And we are sorting out pictures now and hope to post some for everyone to see~

Jason

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May Trip Report - Simply Speechless!

WOW sounds amazing!!

so glad you had a cool time!!

send me your address - I'll send you some complete sand dollars for your home!! :)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: May Trip Report - Simply Speechless!

Great trip report! You certainly made the most of the short visit you had on Provo! Grace Bay is a wonderful place to spend a honeymoon!

So glad that the weather cleared for you and you were able to experience the wonderful colors of GB!

You'll have to go back for your 1st anniversary....and 2nd, 3rd etc!!!!!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May Trip Report - Simply Speechless!

Thanks for posting your trip report. Sounds like you made the most of your trip with a bonus trip over to Middle and North.

Can you give us a sneak peak at some of your photos....Please !!!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
10,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: May Trip Report - Simply Speechless!

You are one of a few select who actually explored and seen the Islands away from your resort. I commend you on this. This is one of the biggest advantages of renting a car. Using Taxi's you just don't get to see/explore the Islands. The experience of going to Bambarra Beach and walking out the shallow water to that Cay a few hundred Yards/meters off the beach has probably only been done by less than .0001% of visitors to Turks & Caicos. Welcome to the Elite Club. Now you can come back and do "Wild Cow Run" on Middle Caicos. Also, plan to stay a wee bit longer(10days +). You had one of the best trip/mini-story reports that even the D.E.'s liked it. DR. JIM

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May Trip Report - Simply Speechless!

Thanks so much for your report....sounds like you had a wonderful time...glad you got to North and Middle! Hope to come back and see some of the other islands as well!!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: May Trip Report - Simply Speechless!

Great trip report! We too stayed in that unit at VR....the view from the balcony was simply stunning! I am so glad the sun came out for you your last few days. Can't wait to see your pictures, and hope you get to return some day...I have a feeling you will, something about that place gets into your blood! ;-)

Thanks again!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
774 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May Trip Report - Simply Speechless!

What a cool trip report - happy you had a great time - memories for a lifetime.

8. Re: May Trip Report - Simply Speechless!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Turks and Caicos