We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Days 2 and 3

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Days 2 and 3

Sunday morning we woke up well rested and had a breakfast of fruit and toast on our balcony while enjoying the warm ocean air and planning our day. We took a walk on the beach after breakfast. First toward Bay Bistro and then turned around and walked past Beaches – wow, what a difference. Beaches had lounge chairs lined up side by side on the beach. It didn’t make sense as most of the chairs were not being used, so why have them an inch apart? There were a lot of people on the beach and in the water and they looked like they were having fun, but the sardine style chairs and the overall vibe we got told us that we made the right decision in not doing all-inclusive in Provo. (I'm sure that Beaches is a great resort, it's just not for us.)

After our walk we relaxed on the beach and then had lunch at Mango Reef. I had the pork sandwich and my husband had the ribs. Add in an iced tea and a Captain and coke and tip and we were out of there for $63. My sandwich wasn’t the best but my husband enjoyed his ribs. His Captain and coke turned out to be rum and coke so I’m not sure if the waiter made a mistake or if Mango Reef does not have Captain Morgan. There was a little drama while we were ordering so it could have been due to that.

Three girls had come in and sat down behind us and when they went to order, they told the waitress that they had vouchers from the airline to cover lunch as their flight was delayed. The waitress told the girls that she was sorry but they didn’t accept the voucher unless they were staying over night at the hotel. One of the girls flipped out on the poor waitress and the f bomb was dropped many times. The staff at Mango Reef were very professional and told the girls to just order what they wanted and not to worry about the vouchers. The girl that flipped out said that they should expect a lot more people with the vouchers soon as the airline told them that Mango Reef accepted them. We never saw anyone else show up, but kudos to Mango Reef for how they handled the issue.

After lunch we hung out at the pool, had a few drinks, talked to some of our fellow guests and then went up to the room to take a nap before dinner. We ended up at Bay Bistro where we had a wonderful dinner – probably my favorite of the week. We split the conch wontons and I had the filet with Dijon mashed potatoes and my husband had the veggie tart. The filet was amazing – I don’t know where they get their beef, but it was incredible; tender and flavorful. I don’t normally like mashed potatoes but I loved the ones at Bay Bistro and ate some of them. My husband loved his veggie tart too. For dessert we split the flourless chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. The dessert was very good – much better than the one we had at Mango Reef the night before. After dinner, I stopped at the jewelry kiosk that is there and spoke with the woman who sells (and makes?) the jewelry. I bought a conch shell pendant which I love! We were tired after a long day of beach walks, rum punch, naps and sun so we went back to the room and went to sleep.

Monday we started the day with breakfast on the deck again and then a quick walk on the beach before heading over to Potcake Place. I was so excited to see the puppies as I knew that we were bringing one home with us! Well, we got to Potcake Place and there were no puppies! Jane was out of town and Laurie was there but none of the foster families had dropped off the puppies. We spent some time talking to Laurie and she told us to stop back later in the day. We walked around the shops at Salt Mills and the ones across the street – Regent Village maybe? Then we hopped in our car and headed to Sailing Paradise. Well, our map wasn’t so good, so we went all the way to the end of the island and then made a right and eventually found Sailing Paradise. We didn’t mind; that’s why we rented a car, to explore the island! (My husband insists that I lost points as our navigator though!)

We were seated at Sailing Paradise and there was one other couple there and they were feeding a stray potcake puppy on the deck. We had 2 Turks Head beers, a mojito, a jerk chicken wrap, jerk chicken and a large water for $60 with tip. The food was very good – spicy! The mojito wasn’t the best – no simple syrup they said. The service and the view was great. I tried to give the potcake one of my French fries but apparently he only ate protein. He gobbled up our chicken quickly but wouldn’t eat anything else. We found out that there a lot of stray potcakes that hang out under the deck at Sailing Paradise. A few more puppies came up on the deck and a few of the adult dogs. We ended up feeding the dogs more of our food and water than we ate. The servers weren’t mean to the dogs but they shooed them away and treated them as nuisances, which I guess they are to them. Even though we enjoyed our meal and the overall atmosphere of Sailing Paradise, I don’t think that I could go back because it broke my heart to see the skinny, unhealthy potcakes.

After lunch we headed back to Potcake Place where there were puppies! We met Ted and Gizmo and Louisa. We saw a video of Louisa’s brother, Legend, who was being fostered by Laurie and not allowed at Potcake Place until he had his second set of shots. While we were in a little room playing with Ted and Gizmo a camera man from the local news came in and filmed us. Potcake Place was holding a fundraiser on Sunday at Somewhere and the news was covering it. We decided to come back the next morning and take Ted for a beach walk. While we were playing with the puppies, it starting raining but as quickly as it started, it stopped. We met a lot of awesome people at Potcake Place – the volunteers as well as the people coming in offering to courier a puppy, make a donation or walk a puppy.

We headed back to our hotel and hit the pool to cool off. We hung out at the pool for a while and then decided to get ready for the manager’s happy hour on the deck at The Alexandra. The happy hour was from 6pm – 7pm and we got there around 6:30. We grabbed our rum punches and ended up talking to some really great couples for quite a while. Before we knew it, it was 9:30 and everyone else had left hours ago! The other couples decided to go bar crawling but they were much younger than us, so we headed over to Mango Reef and ordered a caprese salad and a pizza. With 2 iced teas and a 30% tip, it was $48. (Our waiter was awesome and got us the pizza even though it’s not on the dinner menu.) We again retired early as puppies, sunshine and beach walks seem to tire us out!

More soon...

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
10,979 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Days 2 and 3

More than anything else, I am probably the #1 person who really enjoys reading trip reports about other's experiecnces here on the T& C Forum. DR. JIM

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Days 2 and 3

Agent, get in line! ;-)

I've never once heard of airlines in Provo give out lunch vouchers for delayed flights, ever! Not saying it doesn't happen, but if the airlines are doing it, they are responsible for letting people know who takes them. Unless the delay is overnight, which requires a room, I really don't see it happening.

Sounds like Mango Reef went beyond the call of duty. I can't say I would have been as nice.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Days 2 and 3

Can't wait to read more!

marlton
Level Contributor
155 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Days 2 and 3

Love Love Love your trip report.

Thanks for putting in the prices - kimberlyterry we live in the same area - the prices seem in line for what we would pay in Philly.

ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Days 2 and 3

Yes, please keep showing prices! Prices aren't noted on their websites so it really helps in planning!

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Days 2 and 3

Thanks everyone! I should have days 4 and 5 posted tomorrow.

I'm glad the prices are helpful.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
641 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Days 2 and 3

really enjoying your trip reports...especially about the potcakes!!!

8. Re: Trip Report - Days 2 and 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 06:16