We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which cottage to stay in at Blue Horizon Resort?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which cottage to stay in at Blue Horizon Resort?

Hi- My hubby and I are planning a trip back to T&C next year and want to stay in Middle for 3 nights this time before our week in Provo. I can't decide which cottage would be the best one to stay in and wondered if anyone who knows the property well could offer any advice? I like that Sunrise has direct views of Mudjin and Dragon, but since it's right next to the office I wasn't sure how "private" it would feel. The Tropico, Ridgetop, and Dragonview are "nestled in lush tropical settings" and have screened in porches according to their website. Does anyone have a recommendation on one cabin over another?

Also, I have read on a few trip reports of people's car's breaking down on Middle and wondered if there was more than one car company to rent from on Middle, and if one co. had more reliable cars than another co.? I certainly don't want to get stranded in the middle of "Middle," and not have good cell reception to call someone for assistance. I do plan on exploring the island so want to feel safe in the vehicle l'm driving.

I undertand BH is under new management now since April. I'm sorry I never got to meet Christi M. as it sounds like she was a wonderful manager and hostess. And I'm so very sad I never got to meet Grouper the Potcake, too :(

Thanks so much for any info you can provide!

Edited: 30 June 2013, 00:40
Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which cottage to stay in at Blue Horizon Resort?

Glad you are planning another trip. We have only stayed at Whale Watch and loved it, you can "star watch" from the bed. Lovely new management, now two dining options on Middle. Your car rental will be from North and we have had good service. Several choices:  Al's Auto Rentals 649.946.7248 Easy Car Rentals 649.323.2137 Nicks Rent-A-Car 649.331.8260 Pelican Car Rentals 649.946.7112

(I am in need of another 'Where we are Read' photo! You guys hold a record!!)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which cottage to stay in at Blue Horizon Resort?

Hi WhereWhenHow (is this Brenda?) LOL! I'm sure Sean and I will have another photo for you sometime in the future! Thanks for the info!

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,970 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which cottage to stay in at Blue Horizon Resort?

We always rent cars from Susie at Pelican and in over a dozen rentals have never had a problem. I would rent from her.

We stayed in Sunset and had concerns that since it was so close to the office there would be less privacy, but we found that to be no issue. It was nice to have the grill close by, and believe me, there is nobody there to ruin your privacy. Plus the view was amazing.

We will miss Grouper's visits for breakfast each morning if we stay there again, and I have heard the new managers do a great job.

Have a nice stay!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which cottage to stay in at Blue Horizon Resort?

Joebwan, thank you so much for your response!

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which cottage to stay in at Blue Horizon Resort?

We stayed in Tropico in October and will be staying in a bigger cottage very soon. Tropico is good for two people. It is surrounded on three sides by green vegetation and in the front it is shorter brush so you can see Dragon Cay with room for a small path. The porch is screened in so you can sit out there early or late and not get eaten alive by Mosquitos. The tiny things that will get through the screen that bite are held at bay if you put bug spray on yourself. I was hesitant to spray the screen because the lizards with curly tails climb up and catch the Mosquitos. It was like a buffet for them and fun to watch. We didn't get the nearly invisible biting bugs(?) until our last day though because the winds from Hurricane Sandy kept them away (thank goodness). Regardless of how the Mosquitos can be, I highly recommend dousing yourself at least once on a clear night and step out to see the stars, unbelievable.

Tropico had AC which was needed at times and it was clean. It wasn't five star luxury, so don't expect it. It is isolated, so be aware. There are things to see and do on Middle and North, but nothing like the ton of organized activities on Provo. If you read the reviews of BHR pay attention to the ones that say this place isn't for everyone. That is a very accurate statement. We love it. Others didn't like it.

AmyCaicos has an ebook on ITunes that we downloaded before our first trip and it is chock full of great info. Highly recommend this.

The Sunset and Sunrise cottages are a few feet from the front steps of the "office" and are very small. I can let you know in two weeks about another cottage and changes since Christy left.

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which cottage to stay in at Blue Horizon Resort?

Also, scroll through the forum and read the thread "Our latest stay" might be helpful.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which cottage to stay in at Blue Horizon Resort?

GSDrulez, thank you so much for all fo the info! I already bought Amy's Guidebook and have read every single review for BHR here on Tripadvisor. Funny, my hubby and I visited Middle for a day back in 2011, and thought it was beautiful, albeit very isolated and even a bit haunting. I think because it has such an "ends of the Earth" feel to it. We both thought that although it is an amazing place, we didn't think it would ever be a place we could stay at for an extended period of time. However, do you know that as time marches on, I find that I cannot get Middle out of my mind! I want to go back so badly and stay a few days this time, so I can really enjoy the beaches, see Wild Cow Run this time, go back to Bambarra, and enjoy Mudjin for much longer. That place is pulling me back! :)

Edited: 30 June 2013, 22:25
Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which cottage to stay in at Blue Horizon Resort?

My wife and I have stayed at BH 5 times now. We love it. We've stayed in each 2 person cottage there and we like Sunrise and Dragonview the best. Sunrise is smaller but has the better view (and internet signal). We bring most of our food and stay a week at a time before going back over to Provo for a day or two. We enjoy being alone and having privacy on our vacation so BH is perfect for us. I could fill this website up with info regarding BH, so I'd be happy to answer any questions for you if you'd like to send me a message.

PS - We're actually going to the Out Islands (Great Exuma) for the first time in August. I'm interested to see the comparison between the two places.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which cottage to stay in at Blue Horizon Resort?

Mattduke1, thank you for your reply! Do u have any pics you are willing to share? I'd love to see pics of Dragonview and more of Wild Cow Run. Sunrise was one of the ones we were considering, so glad to hear that Dragonview is another good option. Does it bother u not to have a screened in porch on Sunrise? Sounds like the bugs can get quite bitey! Bugs love me so I'll be sure to bring plenty of bug spray. Anything u r willing to share about Middle I'm willing to listen! I would love to see Exuma sometime too. Where will u be staying out there?

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which cottage to stay in at Blue Horizon Resort?

I love this thread as we are trying to decide which cottage to stay at on Middle.

Mattduke, I would also love to see some photos of the cottages at BH. By the way, you will absolutely love the Exumas! They are absolutely beautiful! Make sure you get out and do the Thunderball tour that includes the swimming piggies,the huge sand bar, swimming with nurse sharks, etc. I can say it was probably one of the best days of my life cruising through the Exuma islands. Have fun!