We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - Days 1&2

Stamford...
13 posts
Save Topic
Trip report - Days 1&2

Thanks for all of the helpful info on this forum! I have been glued to it for the past few weeks in anticipation of our second trip back to Provo (first was honeymoon, this time with in-laws in tow!) Will try and recap here! Sorry for the lengthy posts, this is also so that I don't forget! :)

Trip report

Day 1 - arrived at the airport around 4:30 pm, Airport has construction going on that just started recently- you now have to take a short shuttle to get to the rental car offices to pick up your car(s)... We were back in T&C last November for our honeymoon and hubs said he recognized the woman at customs. I didn't really believe him, but then she pointed out that she stamped his passport last time. Her matching signature right before my eyes! I guess I'll believe him next time. :) after picking up the two rental cars, we loaded up our family and each drove a car back to our resort, the somerset. This place is gorgeous!!! Beautiful and luxurious. Our family of seven is staying in a 3 bedroom villa on the top floor of one of the estate buildings. It was like moving into a new house as we checked out our new space and clammered to claim our bedrooms! Although not closest to the ocean, we still have an ocean and pool view. Once we claimed our rooms, our tummies growled and informed us that it was dinner time! We decided to try out Sailing Paradise, since I had read a lot of good things on TA. We arrived around 6:30 and it was pretty empty. We had the deck to ourselves, taking up a large picnic table. It was windy, but still enjoyable. We had the seafood platter and the famous platter (subbed curried goat for curried chicken- the family wasn't too excited to try goat just yet, but I heard its good?). We also ordered conch fritters to start. Everything was tasty! The two platters were $60 each. It was nice because that was more than enough to feed 7 adults and we had a ton of variety - I wasn't even sure what I was eating all the time... Cracked conch, rice and peas, fried plantains, fried shrimp, curried chicken, jerk chicken, jerk pork, fried fish with a little sauce on top- maybe that was grouper? Anyways, it was pretty good! We left and stopped by IGA on our way home. In-law-siblings were flabbergasted at the prices which was amusing... (Maybe should have purchased that alcohol back at the duty free!!) once we got back, most of the family stayed in.. My guess, tv, Internet, and ice cream! Little sis-in-law and I wanted to jump in the pool ASAP even if it was 9pm. So we did! That's it for day 1.

Day 2 - woke up and debated whether to sleep longer or get up and enjoy T&C... went with wake up and enjoy T&C! Headed to breakfast at the somerset and it was so quiet. No one else was there! The continental breakfast included fruit (cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, watermelon) and a plate of breads including croissants, chocolate chip muffins, cinnamon roll, and some type of sweet bread. We also had coffee and hubs had pineapple juice. The rest of the family was still sleeping! Later in the morning we went to the concierge and made all of our dinner reservations for the week and excursions. Dinner: Magnolia's, Bay Bistro, Somerset BBQ, coyaba (this one is new to us- any recommendations or strong feelings one way or another??) and coco bistro. The "kids" (we're all in our twenties) all booked the half day snorkeling trip- we decided to try island vibes this time instead of caicos dream. We had a great time with caicos dream tour last time, but I wanted to try something "new". Spent the morning on the beach - so happy to jump back in those turquoise waters! Snorkeled a bit, no grass on the bottom like in front of the gansevoort, saw a few fishies. Tried out stand up paddle boarding again - love it but not so good at it! Stood up a few times, but was mostly content to just sit and paddle lol. It has been really windy the past two days! I definitely drifted 3 beaches over (crossing those buoy lines they put up between each hotels section of beach), a lot of powering through to make it back in the other direction. Poor MIL took a kayak and drifted out at least 5 beaches down... 3 random strangers swam her back to shore while someone videotaped (haha maybe she'll show up on YouTube) and sis in law intercepted her and dragged the kayak back to our hotel! Took a quick dip in the pool and then headed to da conch shack for lunch. There were a lot of people there, music playing, etc. our family loved it. Hubs and I love the conch fritters here so we started off with those for everyone- I tried their fish tacos which were great (and if you know of even better fish tacos, I'm all ears! I feel like I saw that Hemingway's were good?) stuffed! Went back to hang out at the pool for awhile while half the family napped. had a few drinks at the pool, might as well take advantage of happy hour :) SIL had rum on the rocks, I had a Miami vice which was tasty, and hubs had a coconut mojito which wasn't very strong. We've noticed the somerset has way more kids than the gansevoort, but all of the kids are well-behaved and we don't mind them at all! We'd love to come back here and would totally bring our (future) kids with us one day! Dinner was at Magnolia's at 7:30. Perfect timing for a beautiful sunset! We came here during our honeymoon last November and I loved my sesame-crusted seared tuna. During our honeymoon it was too late to catch the sunset even with an early reservation and I remember getting completely bitten by mosquitoes! This time there weren't any. Is that a seasonal thing?? I brought bug spray this time around, but haven't used it yet. Had the tuna again and it was delicious! Glad I didn't just overhype it in my mind because I convinced hubs and SIL to try it too. They weren't disappointed! Phew! End of day 2- happily tired, happy to have a Sunday without the dread of starting the work week again, and slightly burnt!

Day 3- looks gray out :( we're having lunch at las brisas today and going to Taylor bay. We loved both of these places when we were here last time. In November we had the lobster nachos and seafood paella- so good. We also had a mango and a watermelon smoothie! hope it doesn't rain on us today! Will update more later!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - Days 1&2

Re: whether anyone has strong feelings on Coyaba - It was the most unsatisfying meal of our last trip. Very underwhelming, especially for the price. I would substitute Caicos Cafe in its place. Le Bouchon is another great option.

Re: fish tacos - Yes, Hemingway's does have a great version.

I'm jealous.

Washingtonville, NY
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - Days 1&2

Just got here yesterday. Staying at e Sands where Hemmingways is. Had the fish tacos and they were excellent! I was about to look inside them to see what was on it and my son told me not to take anything off, lol. I didn't and I loved it, mango chutney, and giant pieces of grouper, and the fries were delicious too! Yummily seasoned.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - Days 1&2

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Your poor MIL though....I feel for her! Last time we were there we saw two ladies stranded on their paddle boards and they kept getting further and further out...well some fellow in a hobie cat went out and rescued each one. It made our b-fast at Bay Bistro very entertaining I tell you! But those currents plus the wind can really move you! As you have found out... ;-)

Anyways, keep havin' fun! Somerset sounds great!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
10,777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - Days 1&2

Nice to read your trip report. Hope there is more to come in the next couple days. DR. JIM

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - Days 1&2

Can't wait to read the rest!

Hope you enjoyed Las Brisas today- I love going there for lunch!

Thanks for the great report! BTW....you're much braver than I.....I can't bring myself to try paddle boarding!

Stamford...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - Days 1&2

I think we're going to ditch Coyaba. Is Mango Reef good? We tried Caicos Cafe last time and had a good meal, but I thought it might be nice to try something new!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
104 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - Days 1&2

We love Coyaba-never miss it! I wouldn't ditch it!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - Days 1&2

I haven't been to Mango Reef. You'll find that Coyaba is polarizing. Some love it, others find it very disappointing. We're in the latter camp.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report - Days 1&2

Glad you are loving The Somerset! It is absolutely gorgeous.....but yes I am a bit biased.

Magnolias is great too if you love seared Ahi tuna.

Have fun....and some pics would be appreciated.

Have you seen the mosaic tiles at night in the pools yet?

Love them.

Mike

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report - Days 1&2

Caicos cafe way better than Coyoba!!! Alsoiked The beach house restaurant!