We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Umbrellas available at Club Med Turkoise?

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Umbrellas available at Club Med Turkoise?

Hello, my husband and I are staying at Club Med Turkoise in October and I will be 6 months pregnant. I will need some sort of shade on the beach during the day and was wondering if they have umbrellas readily available on the beach and/or if they often run out during the day.. I had read somewhere that they have umbrellas you can rent but I havent been able to confirm that?

Thanks for any help!

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Umbrellas available at Club Med Turkoise?

There are a lot of wooden palapas spread along the beach. We usually have little problem finding an available one during the off-season. Around the pool there are umbrellas and covered/enclosed "pool beds". Again, usually not a problem to find some shade. I have heard that there are some additional umbrellas available (via reception) but since we have never needed them, I have no direct experience and cannot confirm.

I am blond and light-skinned and have had 20+ skin cancers cut out of my hide, so I tend to seek the shade when I can also.

Milltown, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Umbrellas available at Club Med Turkoise?

We have not stayed at Club Med, but have at RWI, next door many times..We always wonder why there are such few and where they are positioned.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Umbrellas available at Club Med Turkoise?

There may not seem like very many because they are spread out so much. There is a palapa about every 40, maybe 50 feet, but they are spread the length of the Club Med beach, which is almost half a mile. That means there are actually quite a few of them.

They are up close to the vegetation line which can pose a problem. Late in the day, say around 5 - 6 PM, the sand fleas tend to come out of the vegetation and can be a problem. We always head to the pool area and a "cold drink" around 5: - 5:30 (when the sailing beach closes) to avoid that problem. I think the palapas are so far back because the beach used to be much narrower. Before a beach "replenishment" probably 5 or 6 years ago, the beach used to be about half as wide in that area, so the palapas were placed that far back to avoid possible wave action in storms. Unlike the "portable" umbrellas most resorts use, the palapas cannot be moved out of harms way very easily.

Milltown, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Umbrellas available at Club Med Turkoise?

Don't get me wrong..Club Med has the beast beach area on the Island.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,054 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Umbrellas available at Club Med Turkoise?

Absolute worse case scenerio (which won't happen) IGA Gourmet sells umbrellas that you can buy and leave behind too.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Umbrellas available at Club Med Turkoise?

No problem JerseyGirl.... I can well understand why it doesn't look like there are many umbrellas/palapas. We normally go during the off season (scheduled for this Sept 21-28) when the village is typically a third to half occupied. At times when the village is close to full I suspect there is definitely a shortage of "shade devices". I would hope that Club Med is prepared for that, but if not, I do like blamona's idea.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Umbrellas available at Club Med Turkoise?

Since we just returned from Club Med, I thought I would update this thread also.

Sometime in the past year Club Med has added quite a few "shelters" along the beach, between the old wooden palapas. These are fairly simple wood frames with a fabric covering over the top and down the front a little. They are large enough to comfortably accommodate 4 lounges. They effectively double or triple the available shade along the beach. But watch out, like the palapas, they are right at the edge of the vegetation line so are susceptible to sand fleas in the evenings.

Also, since last year Club Med has replaced all the lounges around the pool and at the beach with new ones that are significantly more comfortable.

8. Re: Umbrellas available at Club Med Turkoise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 07:22