We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with Sharks

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming with Sharks

Fellow TA Members,

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon during late May of 2014. We are staying in Provo on Grace Bay. I have been hunting and researching the web in search of a snorkel trip that will actually take you to swim with sharks. I know that Stuarts Cove in the Bahamas offers trips of this sort. I am wanting to book some type of shark adventure trip and give it to my hubby-to-be a wedding gift from me. Does anyone know of an actual place/tour that will offer some sort of shark experience in the Turks and Caicos? Any advice would be grand. Thank you!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with Sharks

They don't "chum" the water, if that's what you're thinking. However, you're apt to see a shark or two on just about any dive trip. Snorkeling is a bit more difficult, but he still might spot one in the wild. It's all up to Mother Nature, the way it should be, IMO.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with Sharks

Sorry, but the best thing I ever saw regarding Stuarts Cove was seeing the guy feeding the sharks get bitten.

luckily we don't have this sort of thing here in TCI (yet) and most of the people who frequent these shores come time and time again for that very reason.

we believe the wildlife should be left well alone and only observed from a distance, and not "fed" or cajoled in anyway for entertainment.

if you want to give him a thrill, a scuba dive off West Caicos should encounter some Hammerheads, Bull sharks and the occasionally tiger shark - all behaving 100% naturally - so take your chances!!

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with Sharks

Thank you for the input CaribDesi.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with Sharks

Husby-Amp, thank you for your thought on the matter. We are nature lovers and only want to see the animals in their natural surroundings and acting just as they should - wild. I will book a snorkel excursion in West Caicos and hope we see a few fins there. Thanks again for your thoughts!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with Sharks

We do not have anything like that down here. We like things natural down here and that is why we are fighting the dolphin cove project. But sometimes sharks come thru while we are snorkeling etc.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,967 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with Sharks

We did the Edge of the Banks tour with Big Blue and while they did not guarantee sharks, they had said it was possible you would see them at the edge. And we did have several reef sharks underneath us, coming up to check us out. It's a great tour even without the sharks, so maybe give it a try.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,302 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming with Sharks

Since you have time, why not certify to scuba?

While I have seen sharks snorkeling, scuba has a much better chance. Especially going to West Caicos for it.

And it all stays the way mother nature extended, yet you've increased your chances

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming with Sharks

Cool - or try SNUBA there, - great experience!!

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming with Sharks

My fiance is a little hesitant to SCUBA dive. However, maybe with a little research and practice he will get more comfortable with the concept. Thank you all very much for the ideas!

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming with Sharks

SNUBA is the "ultimate" snorkel!! try it at CORAL GARDENS first - you'll love it!