We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Turk- Day 2/3

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Topic
Grand Turk- Day 2/3

We're truly loving this island! But it's certainly not for everyone! There are no high end resorts or villas to rent. Just a few casual, laid back hotels to chose from. And your dining options are about the same.

What it does offer is an island full of some of the nicest/ warmest people I've met in a long time. It's an island steep in history and with a beautiful old historic town. Duke St. Is lined with a few small restaurants,hotels, dive shops and some quaint old homes.

It has a bohemian feel to it. Reminds me a bit of Key West.

We chose to stay at Manta House which is owned by 2 lovely Canadian sisters that came to GT 14 yrs ago to dive and have never left! We kept going back and forth trying to decide on it and the Osprey Hotel. In the end the 2 sisters won out! After being here now, we know we made the right decision for us.

Day 2 - Started the morning with a walk on the beach and searching for sea glass. And boy, we found a lot!

We had decided to head up to Pillory Beach and the Bohio Resort. The walk took a while ( especially with me taking pictures of all the old buildings!). We stopped at the museum for a tour, which I highly recommend. And I don't usually get into museums, but this one is quite interesting.

We had a late lunch at Guanahani restaurant ( Bohio Resort). Relaxed on their patio and watched a beautiful sunset.

Lazy evening on the patio, listening to the waves crashing.

Day 3 - talk about night and day from the day before! We decided to head over to the port and check it out. Wow! What a culture shock! We shopped the port, had a delicious margarita at Margarittaville and then headed down the beach to Jack's Shack. We had a casual lunch and lounged on the beach watching all the cruisers! When we couldn't handle the crowds and noise any longer we went back to our quiet beach and with a glass of wine, watched another outstanding

sunset!

The weather has been a little windy but still warm enough to swim every day, which is all that matters.

We've dined at all of the main restaurants and have enjoyed all of our meals.

Would we return to Grand Turk?- in a heartbeat! I'm sure we'll be back next year!

Tomorrow we fly on our very short 10min. flight to Salt Cay. We're looking forward to that experience as well. Oh, DR. JIM, we bought the Cheerios and carrots for the donkeys!

Will let you know our thoughts on Salt Cay in a few days!

Edited: 10 December 2013, 22:25
Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Turk- Day 2/3

Sounds like a nice continuation of the island tour! I hope we get to see some of the pictures. When do you head back to Provo from Salt Cay?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Turk- Day 2/3

So Grand Turk is where all of the sea glass is! I've looked everywhere on Provo and on our two trips to Middle and so far, no luck. Tell the truth - how scary is the little plane ride? That's the only thing preventing us (me!) from at least doing a day trip to Grand Turk or Salt Cay. Glad you are enjoying yourselves - we are enjoying your reports, Maca - thanks!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
10,741 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Turk- Day 2/3

Your solo pilot full throttles those twin props and it's about 3 minutes from lift off to landing that flying box on Salt Cay. I got to sit in the co-pilot seat and I know absolutely nothing about flying. Some help I would be in an emergency. MuyLinda23 do a Daytripper to @ least one of the Islands/Cays. Maca81, check out the power station(unmanned?) at the South end of Salt Cay? We saw no one there, but there are not a lot of vehicles on the entire Island. I believe the ratio of churches(4) is one for every 15 human residents and probably one for every 50 wild donkeys. Enjoy the nightlfe?? Going to bed & sleeping--that about sums it up. Still it's beautiful to see & experience. DR. JIM

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Turk- Day 2/3

The views over Caicos banks makes you forget you're flying.

Really want to see pics if the old buildings. They have character.

Looking forward to Salt Cay too. Tell everyone I said hello!

maryland
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Turk- Day 2/3

Blamona, we need to coordinate our trips I want you to bring me to GT, MC and SC. Maybe one each time.

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Turk- Day 2/3

tewksM, I'm in. Where do I sign up for that tour?

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Turk- Day 2/3

Sounds like a great experience Maca! There are so few places left in this world like that. How neat to experience such a place.

Can't wait to hear about Salt Cay! Enjoy that plane ride! :-)

maryland
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Turk- Day 2/3

ajax, Blamona will take care of it, I am confident. How much fun would that be. I really want to see what Joe, dash and maca, etc... see.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Turk- Day 2/3

What if we all took over and had a TA tour? Of course I would be the Tour Guide. (Joe can take over North though)

Maca, can't wait to see pictures! Really you'll come back being friends with everyone from GT and SC, and they will remember you!

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Turk- Day 2/3

Salt Cay - Ask Dwight to take you conching - you wont be disappointed :)