We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways is horrible

California
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
US Airways is horrible

Friends on TA, has anyone experienced this situation, and if so, how did you handle it? My wife and I are going to PLS for our babymoon, and we're leaving SEA to PLS, and supposed to come back to SEA on Tuesday, Jan 7 in the evening. A few days ago I get an email from US Airways telling us that there has been a "schedule change", and now we will come back to SEA on WEDNESDAY Jan 8 - an entire day later... We're stranded in PHX on Tuesday night. To add insult to injury, they are not even going to pay for our hotel in Phoenix!

I've experienced a delay of few hours before... that's understandable. But to arrive back to our destination on an entire different DAY? AND they won't pay for our hotel in Phoenix? That's absolutely rediculous to me. I've experience something similar before with Asian airlines, and they more than apologized for the inconvenience, paid for the hotel, AND upgraded me to first class free of charge. What did I get from US Airways? "Sorry, better luck next time".

Anyone have any similar stories with US Airways? And how did you handle it?

Thanks

E

New York
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Airways is horrible

No, I have not heard of such a thing. Usually an airline will really try to accommodate its passengers when there is such a schedule change. You can't resolve it with reservations, if you haven't already done so, contact customer service with US air. You will get a completely different response.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: US Airways is horrible

Minimum you should receive is the full Hotel room reimbursed, $100 for food, $1000 air travel vouchers,etc. I have received a lot more by just being delayed by 4-5 hours coming to Provo last year. You had travel plans that cost a lot more out of your pocket that you expected by being stuck overnight. You and your wife will miss a day of work by not coming back the 7th as planned with their scheduled flight arriving on Tuesday night. That's got to be compensated for too? You have to be firm and talk to a supervisor when you get through to their customer relations department. Explain to that person that you are not a football--to be fumbled around without penalties imposed. DR. JIM

maryland
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Airways is horrible

Dr.Jim, I knew you would come though.

California
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Airways is horrible

Dr. Jim, I spoke with 4 different representatives, 3 different "managers", and 1 customer service representative, explaining the same thing you mentioned: the cost of hotel and food on Tuesday night when I am stranded, as well as missing a day of work on Wednesday. I even took down their name and threatened to report them to the Better Business Bureau. Their unanimous response: "I'm sorry, per our company policy, there is nothing we can do outside of giving you a full refund of your fare." Well, that does absolutely nothing for me, because it is less than 2 weeks away, and if I get a refund from US Air, it would cost more than double the amount of money for us to fly to PLS at this juncture. I was very firm, and at times, angry. No difference. It was like talking to a brick wall. They have absolutely no compassion for me and my situation. They constantly tried to cut me off, as if I'm babbling on an inconsequentially small problem.

To me, payment for service is a promise. I promise you to pay you, and in return, you promise to transport me to a specific destination, on a specific time, on a specific date. While the airline "reserve" the right to change flight schedule on a whim, why can't us consumers "reserve" the right to change the amount of money we pay the airline? Consumers like us need to be protected from bad practice from major airlines.

In the end, we are not compensated for anything. Not even an extra bag of peanuts. I will NEVER fly US Airways again if I can help it. And now US Air has merged with American Air... Everyone on TA beware. God help us consumers.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: US Airways is horrible

At this point I would be making that person-to-person phone call to the Adminstration Department of the Airline. You are beyond the normal channels and need to go that step up. Most passengers usually accept what a low level manager says and do not pursue the matter, let it go, give up, etc. I for one don't stop. Depends how tenacious you are? Some higher up should be able to accommodate you to some equitable agreement to resolve this? Sometimes they do that to me just to get rid of my poisonous thorn. DR. JIM

New York
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Airways is horrible

Very surprised to hear this. My last flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems, we were accommodated on a different airline, which had turbulance so bad, I thought the plane was going to crash. I talked to customer service and was very nice, I was only looking to get reimbursed for our baggage, not only did I get that but we were also given two complimentary round trip tickets to anywhere that airline flies.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Airways is horrible

I agree with DR. JIM. We just returned from Provo with United Airlines. Because of mechanical issues we had to overnight in Newark N.J. They did pay for our accommodations , but only gave us a $7.00 voucher each for our meals. Really ....that just covers a cup of coffee! Certainly didn't cover dinner and breakfast the next morning.

I'm planning on talking with United to seek more compensation as we are out of pocket for meals and each of us missing a days work.

Merrimack, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Airways is horrible

Try this - http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_US_Airways_CEO_Doug_Parker's_email

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Airways is horrible

They aren't USAirways anymore, they are the "new" American Airlines. They probably had to give up your flight as part of the agreement to get the deal passed. I would push for the accommodations comp. Good luck.

maryland
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Airways is horrible

My flight in March got changed from a 3pm flight to an 8am flight. The 3pm flight still exists.