We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expert accommodation advice needed please!

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Topic
Expert accommodation advice needed please!

Hi all,

I've been looking at all of the accommodation options on turks and I'm feeling quite overwhelmed! Can you please help? I'm planning a 10 day honeymoon and its my first visit to the island. For accommodations, I'd like to spend about $200-300 per night. I'd like to be in the grace bay area. I like a nice pool with comfy, modern loungers, and loungers on the beach as well. Modern, updated, amd clean room. A room with a balcony would be added bonus. Walking distance to shops and restos. I don't want to be too isolated, I don't mind a busier hotel with good people watching at the pool.

Is all of this possible for my budget? So far I'm thinking:

The sands

Ports of call resort

Thoughts? Other ideas?

What about club med? What's the scene like there? I w never been to a club med. is it all wild singles, or ok for couples too? We are in our early 30s and generally don't mind all inclusives.

Thanks so much!!

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Expert accommodation advice needed please!

Sorry, I forgot to mention this trip will be April 1 :)

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expert accommodation advice needed please!

You might want to look at the Alexandra. We stayed there for our first trip last May and will be staying there again in March. It's located on a great stretch of Grace bay Beach and you can walk to a few restaurants but I'd still recommend a car for at least part of your trip so you can see Taylor Bay, Chalk Sound, etc.

Check out VRBO for the best pricing.

Congrats!

Edited: 05 January 2014, 20:11
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,049 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expert accommodation advice needed please!

April 1 is height of peak season, Spring Break

Either your budget has to increase or you have to compromise (not get it all, shorten your list, etc)

Sands, if Courtyard room, not worth it. Increase budget to garden view

Ports of Call okay, but loungers on beach are basic. Balcony not big enough to hang, and not on the beach. (and there lies your compromise)

Club Med, while a good deal and tons of fun, is more rustic and rough around the edges, dorm like rooms, no balcony or patio. Definitely not updated rooms.

You can check out the following (but they may have some compromises)

Grace Bay Townhomes (not on beach, carry small beach chairs to beach, but gorgeous pool, ultra luxury rooms)

Island Club Townhomes, same as above

Inn at Grace Bay (also know as Blue Water White Sands) cheaper than POC, but nicer

Sibonne on the beach, as cheap as you can get. Still get comfy beds, patio or balcony. Rooms are comfortable but not modern or updated

Ocean Club might have your price range, but in that range sells out quickly

You can try vrbo.com, but again they sell quickly in peak season

You could change your dates. by May 1 prices drop dramatically, sometimes 30-50%. You're going the height of Spring Break which fills fast

Keep in mind it's an expensive island to begin with. Double your budget for restaurants. (so add $200 daily if eating out 3 meals a day and drinking). So get a place with a kitchen and check in a cooler of food.

Chicago
Level Contributor
40 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expert accommodation advice needed please!

I'm not an expert at all, but maybe the Plaza at OCW? You get all the stuff at OCW, without the view. You are between a road and a parking lot, so there isn't much to look at.

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Expert accommodation advice needed please!

Thanks, everyone, very helpful. Is $200/day for food and drink per person, or per couple? I looked on vrbo and so far Alex is all booked, but will keep looking. Want to honeymoon immediately following wedding, so changing dates not really an option.

NH
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expert accommodation advice needed please!

Club Med is DEFINITELY not all "wild and crazy." Because it was one of first resorts on Provo (if not "the" first) the down side is it is showing its age. The upside is that it has created such fond memories with its patrons,...their showing their age, too!

Seriously, there is a great mix of people and ages and this is a resort that affords you the opportunity to be as involved or secluded as you choose. I have yet to go there and NOT find couples on their honeymoon. It ain't fancy! But the funny thing is that every honeymoon couple I have spoken with (usually on the snorkel boat) has been delighted that they chose to honeymoon at CM.

Financially, it's a bargain! ...Sailing, snorkeling, evening entertainment, access to other island excursions for an added fee, but also includes drinks and the food is VERY good (especially the French desserts and chocolate bread!).

If you are a Ritz Carleton fan, look elsewhere. But if you can overlook older tired décor and a few imperfections, take another look at what CM has to offer. If you want to have a look firsthand at the rooms and the resort, you can find videos on youtube.

We love it!

I do agree with blamona. April is expensive. I would be tempted to postpone the honeymoon by a month and enjoy better pricing for accommodations AND warmer ocean water!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,049 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expert accommodation advice needed please!

If you watch what you eat, (and don't really drink) per couple, but it's been know to be per person!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,759 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Expert accommodation advice needed please!

It's your 10 day honeymoon. Don't deprive yourself of those memories by settling for less? Allow more for your accommodation budget or come a few weeks later and enjoy your honeymoon the way you want to remember it. DR. JIM

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Expert accommodation advice needed please!

Thanks Dr Jim. I definitely don't want to make too many compromises on this trip :). So I think ill wait and come to turks in a lower season :)

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expert accommodation advice needed please!

Allfins described the Club Med very well. About the only thing I would add is that you can either join in lots of activities, or just lay around the beach (probably the best part of the best beach in the Caribbean). There is some form of entertainment each night, with dancing (DJ).

To get a better idea of Club Med, check my trip reports at www.hammocktree.us/ms/trips.html and check the trips to Turkoise Club Med. Also see the "Guide for First TIme GMs" at the top of that page to get a better idea of just what Club Med is all about. It is a bit different from your usual resort.

And congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Get answers to your questions about Turks and Caicos