We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temporary Work Permit

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Temporary Work Permit

I have been invited to a destination wedding in Turks and Caicos. My boyfriend's musical group has been invited to perform, and they're doing so at no cost. This involves rental of equipment, etc., which he's already arranged. The wedding planner in Grace Bay is insisting the couple use her DJ friend because they say the BF needs a work permit. This does, indeed, seem to be true, even if he's not making any money to perform (he's being traded travel costs). I cannot find one bit of info about how to get a temporary 10-day work permit through TCI Immigration. Can we pay the permit fee on site at the airport? Do we need to apply in advance? We don't want to get down there and then get sent home. Please help! We need a vacation! Thanks!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,544 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temporary Work Permit

No temporaries are issued, just yearly

You have to have one even if you work for free! (which they technically are being paid with by barter, which according to TCI laws)

A permit like that usually runs about $1000. And, can take many months to be processed. (if accepted at all, many have to have a Belonger partner to even get it)

It is illegal for him to play "officially" at the wedding even if no monies are exchanged.

This is the standard on many islands actually.

Even established artists that play on island can have problems with these permits from time to time.

Sounds harsh, but they are trying to help the islanders more than outsiders, so understandable.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Temporary Work Permit

You can get a temporary work permit. I have the form sitting on my desk. You do not have to use the DJ if you don't want to.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temporary Work Permit

I could not find a form anywhere. Can you direct me on where to find it and where to send it? Thank you!

maryland
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temporary Work Permit

I thought if the island has the talent to preform what ever you need to be done then you couldnt bring in your own.

Did that even make sense? I thought the whole idea behind this was to give the belongers work.

maryland
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temporary Work Permit

I would be curious also where to find that form. I just googled the posters question and all the answers pretty much said what Blamona said.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temporary Work Permit

From the Immigration Ordinance of Turks and Caicos, available for download from http://www.immigration.tc:

11. (1) An application for a temporary work permit may be

made to the Director in the prescribed form.

(2) Subject to such conditions as may be prescribed or as

he may impose, the Director may grant to an applicant, who

satisfies the prescribed conditions, a temporary work permit for a

period of 10 days, which may be extended in accordance with

this section.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,544 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temporary Work Permit

My experiences says (after 20 plus years of going there) notice the word "may" as in maybe.

Not trying to sound like a smart Alec, but established people have problems with permits. There are many islanders that play music on island and government is going to protect them over your musician (permits are for persons that Belongers can't do the same job, and wether good or bad they play)

With a wedding, who need this stress? Even if you pay the fee you might not get it in time ( which makes it illegal)

I might sound rude, but good luck with that one.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temporary Work Permit

I hear ya. I understand why they'd want to promote jobs among belongers, it makes sense, but music is also something that's not performed the same way by everyone. Google search acoustic duos on Turks and Caicos and you don't get a lot of results. Our primary purpose for visiting is tourism. Now, they're losing the business of four additional people coming to visit and to stay for almost a week. It's a policy that has its heart in the right place but is not really practical.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temporary Work Permit

I often have people come in on temp work permits - very common to do.

I get my forms from the immigration office - no problem at all.

(you "may" only need a Belonger partner when setting up a business - no connection to a temp permit)

Edited: 15 January 2014, 19:06
Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temporary Work Permit

I have the number of the immigration office who deal with this if you wish to make a call?