We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches diving certification

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
beaches diving certification

Curious as to how it takes to get diving certification at beaches - one day? two days? hours per day? didnt know whether to be certified prior to our trip or get it done there.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,503 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches diving certification

It requires at least 2 days.

Here's the thing, don't you want to do it before? That way you don't loose pool time on vacation!

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches diving certification

If you just want an intro to scuba, Beaches will give you a resort course. It will take up most of a day and will be good for your stay. Your dives will be limited to a max of 40ft.

If you are looking to get open water certified, according to their website, you do the PADI bookwork on-line and finish the check out dives at the resort.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
673 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches diving certification

If you are planning to get certified, I would also suggest doing all the course and pool work back home and then do the cert dives at Beaches.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches diving certification

Thank You!

HIllsdale, NJ
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beaches diving certification

Do you know what the cert dives cost there? I was thinking of doing this.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beaches diving certification

We just went through this a few weeks ago, although not at Beaches (we started in Houston and finished in Bonaire). Do the study work and tests, and the pool work at home, then get certified on your trip in the open water. It took us one evening to review the paperwork and take the test, then about five hours on a Saturday for the pool work. When we got to Bonaire, we did the open water work: 5-6 hours one day, and four hours the next. The time it takes depends on how good you are and how many students are in the class. We were SSI, not PADI, I don't know if there is a difference in how long the water work takes.

Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beaches diving certification

Where did you do your dive work in Houston?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,145 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beaches diving certification

There are a number of ways to get Open Water Certification. Doing it all on island can be about 5 days. What I don't like about that is reading the book or watching the videos (classwork) testing on Holiday. Padi.com clearly outlines E Learning and the options is offers. I have been certified for a number of years. My Husband is going to be certified next month. He has opted to do the online elearning at home.The completion details are sent to your dive shop. Because he prefers open water (as in tuquoise sea water) to pools he will do his in water skills and checkout dives in TCI. I would go to Padi.com and communicate with Beaches directly to arrange what works best for you. Only wish I could have had the option of elearning!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beaches diving certification

Rachel S - we did our course and pool work at Sea Sports Scuba in Katy - but they have several Houston locations.

10. Re: beaches diving certification

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Turks and Caicos