We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I saw 2 humpback whales!!!

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
953 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
I saw 2 humpback whales!!!

I just got back to Chicago from a week on North Caicos at a house we rented on Sandy Point. Two mornings in a row as we drank our coffee we saw whales right from the beach in front of the house just past the reef. The first morning the whale came COMPLETELY OUT OF THE WATER TWICE!!! IT WAS AWESOME!! The second morning we saw the misty cloud from the whale taking a breath. I grabbed my binoculars and got a great look at the back of the humpback as it dove back down.

i know they've also been seen at Daniel's Cafe, best of luck to anyone who's there now or going soon!

P.S. I've got 60 gigs of HD video I took while I was out there I'll be uploading soon. Everything from mounting the camera to the Jeep and driving from Sandy Point to Wild Cow Run to multiple rainbows and the Dragon at Mudjin Harbor.

....and now back in Chicago they are predicting -18F temps tomorrow after snowing last night. Yuck.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 21:57
Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: I saw 2 humpback whales!!!

Well, you got the title "Jonah" when I'd posted a few weeks ago. I said whoever reports the 1st whale sighting this season on this forum will have this title bestowed upon them. Congratulations Jonah! DR. JIM

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I saw 2 humpback whales!!!

Sounds awesome dunce. We'll be there in a couple of weeks plus adding some Salt Cay time for whale watching this year for the first time. Sounds like you had a great trip!

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I saw 2 humpback whales!!!

Very cool!! I will have to make sure we keep our eyes peeled when we head to north at the end of the month. When will you be there Joe? I wonder if we will overlap.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I saw 2 humpback whales!!!

They really are awesome creatures! So beautiful to watch!

So glad you had the opportunity to see a couple of them!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I saw 2 humpback whales!!!

I love seeing the humpback whales - really an awesome sight! We will be going to Salt Cay in March to see them up close and personal!

Lake George, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I saw 2 humpback whales!!!

Almost nothing better then seeing a whale breech! Experienced my first one in Maui; leaving for T and C in a week or so. Jeep rental sounds fun! Do you have any recommendations for a rental car company?

Our first time to T and C so we are staying on Grace Bay. Curious how you choose North Cacos?

thanks for any advice.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I saw 2 humpback whales!!!

Cool

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
953 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I saw 2 humpback whales!!!

Why we were on North Caicos....

My wife and I have been to TCI a few times now. Provo and Grace Bay are very nice, but we like to get away from people and relax on our own. Our first trip to TCI my wife actually won from a magazine, a week stay at the Sands. During that trip, I really wanted to visit Middle Caicos which I had read about before we left for the trip. And I don't know what it is about it, but after crossing the causeway, Middle Caicos really grabbed our hearts. Ha, if you've ever watched the TV show Lost, it's as if the island is calling you. After going back to Provo and spending another couple days there, we both had to do another day trip to Middle before we left. We were hooked.

Since then, when we visit TCI we consider landing and spending a night in Provo just part of our travel time. We pack a few extra fabric bags that fold up small, and load them with groceries we get in Provo to take over on the ferry. There are some good grocery stores on North Caicos too, albeit nothing like ones on Provo which are more like the usual ones we have in Chicago. So we've figured out what is best to bring, and what we can just get once we're on North.

There aren't a lot of options to stay at on Middle, and we've tried a couple. We ended up on North this time because my wife found this little gem of a place at a great price, we saw the whales right in front of it -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yijusTxnSSQ

(Eesh, I almost don't want to share that place with others for fear the price will go up and/or it'll be booked the next time we want to go.)

Honestly though, we spent a lot of time driving from North to Middle this last trip so our next trip we'll probably end up on Middle again. The drive from North to Middle is actually really nice though, relaxing -

www.youtube.com/watch…

Rental cars on North are usually pretty beat up, or at least all the ones I've ever used. The last couple times I got a Jeep from Easy Car Rentals, but on this last trip even though I had multiple email confirmations from them, they left us stranded at the ferry dock. Thankfully Mark from Pelican Car Rentals was nice enough to help us out to get in touch with them and give us a ride to the house we rented.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I saw 2 humpback whales!!!

He's going to love you for that tour! Rates are raising as we speak. Did he finish the main house yet? Last time I saw him he was still working on it, but that was a while ago.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I saw 2 humpback whales!!!

Sweet! There have been some really cool photos of the whales posted on facebook from Big Blue. One day I hope to see them.