We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pics from our Christmas trip to North

Ottawa
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pics from our Christmas trip to North

Some pictures from our last trip. I'm pretty proud of myself on the underwater dolphin pictures; I just stuck the camera overboard and blindly snapped some pics. Sadly, they were the last underwater pics our Panasonic TS3 took - she finally leaked.

I was able to dry it out and the camera is fully functional again, but its underwater days are over. I replaced it with a TS5. The wi-fi connectivity with a phone/tablet is crazy.

…photobucket.com/user/…202013

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pics from our Christmas trip to North

Great pictures. Nice way to start the day!

Love the rainbow and dolphin shots......what, no picture of your shark encounter!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pics from our Christmas trip to North

Beautiful !!!! Thanks for posting. Where were you eating with the kite surfer in the background? Long Bay? Did you spend the whole time on North?

Great Rainbow pics

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,745 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pics from our Christmas trip to North

Your photos reinforces the reason why people like us come to Turks & Caicos repeatedly. Remember, "People in the know--GO". DR. JIM

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pics from our Christmas trip to North

Beautiful! I love the shells you collected...so colorful!

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
648 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pics from our Christmas trip to North

Great pics. I love how portray a chronological story of your vacation. Although the airport pics at the end give me that feeling of dread that happens when leaving paradise.

The fritters look yummy? I assume homemade? I recall somebody posting a recipe on here in the past for making your own....I need to find it, since last year we found so many conch on North, but had no idea how to extract or prepare it.

The dolphin pics were soooo cool! Thanks for sharing.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pics from our Christmas trip to North

Great pictures, awesome rainbow shots. And the dolphins must have been amazing.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pics from our Christmas trip to North

Loved your photos. Thank you for sharing.

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pics from our Christmas trip to North

Iron Ring, thank you for the pictures.

We are in the midst of planning our third trip to Middle and considering adding a few days to stay on North. What areas and villas can you recommend? Thanks.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Pics from our Christmas trip to North

Ha! Maca, let's just say taking pictures was not foremost in my mind at that particular moment.

Camke, the kiteboarders were at Boogaloo's. Very nice spot, right on the beach. That was at the end of our trip, when we had a few hours to kill before our flight. The rest of the time we were on North.

3boys, cracked conch is quite easy to make. You just need to make sure you pound the conch like it owes you money, otherwise it will be tough. A meat mallet works best, but the back of a heavy knife will also work. The rest is much like coating fish or chicken; beat a couple eggs, dip the conch in the eggs and coat with bread crumbs, then deep fry in oil. After some trial and error, I only use panko bread crumbs which the IGA on Provo happens to sell. It comes out crunchy and not greasy at all. Cracked lobster is the same idea but with chunks of lobster. Also very good.

As for getting the conch out in the first place, I'm glad to say I finally figured out this trip how to properly crack a conch. I never knew what I was feeling for before and it was more a battle of wills between me and the conch. You start by breaking the shell below the second spire (if I remember correctly. I always just grab an old cracked shell as a reference). Then you take a long thin knife and go in downwards, following the inside of the shell, then slide the knife along the shell until you feel muscle. Cut it, turn the conch around, grab the foot and he should slide right out.

Patty, yes very good shelling this trip. We got quite a few sunrise very nice tellins, a few interesting nerites, some tritons, an alphabet cone and...horse teeth. Its getting to be a running joke between my wife and I. Since we found our first horse teeth on our trip two summers ago, we've found horse teeth every trip since.

GSD, if you're only looking for a couple days I'd recommend the Pelican Beach Hotel. Most of the villas only do week by week. If you have more time and want to rent a villa, we're fans of the Whitby White House (check it out on VRBO). Good value for the money. If you want something higher end there's Datai just a couple doors down. I've never stayed there but Joe and Dash have. There's also Villa Cecilia past Pumpkin Bluff. All of these are in Whitby and listed on VRBO.

Joe, you guys must be going back soon. Less than a month for us. And yes, seeing the dolphins is something I will never forget. Part of me regrets not getting Dedrick to stop the boat and jumping in the water, but I had my fill of the "swimming with animals bigger than me" game.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pics from our Christmas trip to North

Cool rainbow pics. Love the dolphin photos. Thanks for sharing. Needed that on this cold snowy morning.