We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entire island power outage

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
128 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Entire island power outage

Just an FYI the power has been out for 8 hours and is not expected back on for some time. Rumor has it there was a fire at the fortis power plant that knocked out the main generators. The island is dark, very few generators running, even seven stars is a total black out. We are here for another week but wondering if there's a way out sooner. Praying for daylight.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entire island power outage

Ouch.....hopefully they get power restored soon.

But...I wouldn't leave early....it's warm there! Enjoy the romantic candlelit evenings!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,764 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Entire island power outage

Without any ambient Island light the canopy of stars will reveal themselves more than ever. Hope it's just an one night occurrence? DR. JIM

Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entire island power outage

If you leave because of a power outage you will lose your Caribbean card. Enjoy it! It is part of Island life. We've been there. It is awesome. It shouldn't last for days.

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
861 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entire island power outage

I'd still rather be there than here in Chicago, currently 7F here. And in Minneapolis, where OP is from it's -5F right now.

Follow Dr. Jim's orders: Take a good look up, I bet Jupiter is shining bright! You can probably see the Orion Nebula with your naked eyes! I'd give anything to be there right now with a glass for Bambarra Reserve to sip on and think about how much bigger the universe is...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
128 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entire island power outage

Power just came back on! :)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
128 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entire island power outage

Power just came back on! :) and yes good points everyone. It was actually a nice night sleeping with the island breezes blowing in. And the stars were great too. Was more than a little panicked to hear an estimate of 2+ days without power, especially when you factor in island time.

Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entire island power outage

Glad it's back! Carry on!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entire island power outage

We are in a villa on Grace Bay and still don't have power. Is power restored to part of the island? It flicked on twice during the night but never stayed on.

We are trying to find information on scope of issue to figure out a plan.

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
685 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Entire island power outage

Never lost power on Middle! Surprising!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,054 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entire island power outage

KC you can email your property manager, or email Fortis the power company (although their site is not loading up)

I'm sure your property manager is aware and keeping in contact to restore as quickly as possible. when it's the whole island, unfortunately you just have to wait it out!

Ahhh adventures of island life! Funny thing about power outages, bet the villa will still get a $1300 utility bill this month!