We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clueless....but hopeful

Nashville, Tennessee
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Clueless....but hopeful

Hubby is returning from Afghanistan in late April and we are planning a redeployment celebration trip for mid June. This is our first trip to TCI and as I said above, clueless. I will be calling the turksandcaicosreservations line tomorrow to get some info on hotels and such. Our budget is approx. $5k including meals, but not air. We are not taking our kids and would prefer to not be in the midst of families a whole lot.

We are on the adventurous side. I have read a bit about some of the good snorkeling spots. What about other ideas? I am not sure if I can talk him into renting a vehicle as he usually doesn't trust much coming back from deployment and it is more stress to ride/drive with him because he is suspicious of every item alongside the road (he will do fine if chauffeured because I can distract him a bit).

We also want "alone time" - best beach area to not be sitting on top of others? Just somewhere to watch the sun rise/set without being one of thousand?

We love to find the local spots (pubs, diners, etc) when we travel and am hoping for some recommendations for those too!

What are your top three things that we absolutely cannot miss??

Thanks in advance...counting down the days!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clueless....but hopeful

Please tell your husband, "Thank you, and welcome home."

Top 3 things to do:

3. Watch the sunset from the beach, toes in the sand. Long walks on the beach. Snorkeling.

2. Excursion to surrounding island / cays. Ask TCR about these.

1. Visit the local restaurants / bar for a true taste of the islands. My favorites include Ricky's Flamingo, Smokey's, Jerky's, Froggies, and Three Queens. Great food and people, mostly away from the tourists.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clueless....but hopeful

I would suggest eating and driving around Grace Bay area - the Blues Hill areas (Conch Shack, 3 Queens etc) may worry him a little due to the, shall we say, "condition" of the area - people are friendly but some of the housing, stray dogs, debris along the roadside etc may give him some concern -

I used to say it reminded me of driving through Basrah and Khasib but with friendlier people and no I.D.F!

So if "visuals" are an issue, stay along Grace Bay / Turtle Cove etc where it all looks more "normal" - hope that makes sense??

If you want some real alone time, look at booking a night or 2 at the Blue Horizon resort on Middle Caicos - you'll probably only see a few other cars all day and have places to explore and walk with a sense of isolation!

Happy to help further if you have any other concerns or questions!

Welcome Home :)

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clueless....but hopeful

So happy your husband is coming home and please tell him "Thank You" too.

I would like to suggest a lunch at Las Brisas(closed Tuesdays). Stunning scenery and the food is very good also.

Driving on Provo is not a problem, just watch those round abouts! Driving on the left is easier than you think. You will turn on your wipers when you try to turn on the blinker, and it's always funny.

If you both can, take some time to just relax on Grace Bay. If you get bored grab a snorkel mask or a float and jump in.

If you have time I would recommend scrolling through the forum and finding past trip reports. They are usually a good source of info and ideas. But don't let them turn you off of something you really want to do. They are opinions, not law.

Have fun and write your own trip report to let others like you know how to do it.

4. Re: Clueless....but hopeful

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 06:19