We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Philadelphia (or Baltimore) to PLS

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from Philadelphia (or Baltimore) to PLS

Hello again!!

We have booked our place! We are staying at Ocean Club from May 24th - June 1st and are very excited!! We have been looking into flights and have a couple of questions.

I have seen that the airport there is an adventure. Our flight to TCI would be non stop and arriving at 1:20 from Philly on a Saturday. (Which, from what I read, Saturdays there are quite busy!) We are flying out on a Sunday. Our options are to leave earlier and have a flight out at 8:00am, but be stuck with a 5 hour layover. (Also, the cheaper option.) Or to fly out at 10am nonstop. Which would be the better option for departure?. I would prefer the nonstop flight, but if its less chaotic/more reliable to fly out earlier, I would deal with the layover. Both flights arrive around the same time, with the earlier flight arriving 30 minutes later.

My next question is when to buy the tickets? I know prices fluctuate, and its hard to tell. The cheapest that I have seen is $513 for the non stop in bound flight with the layover on departure. ($570 for both nonstop...I would pay the difference for sure if the hassle factor isn't too much of a difference.) Right now the prices have gone up to $550-$607, respectively. This has been going on the last couple of weeks. The price has been up during the week, and then down on the weekend. I guess my real question here is, does anyone know if this is pretty standard airfare for Philly to Provo?

We usually fly out of Baltimore, but they do not offer nonstop, and it is only a 20 minute travel time difference from one to the other for us. We live in the Harrisburg, Pa area.

I appreciate any advice. You have all been so helpful to us!! Thanks in advance!! :)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,704 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Philadelphia (or Baltimore) to PLS

I usually get my air tickets first and then book on the Island. But you've choose a nice place for your honeymoon. Now about that airfare and traveling concerns you have? Non-stop is best because there are no connection delays that may occur with a connecting flight. A connecting flight takes more time too. That being said if it's only $75-$100 difference(more) for a direct flight--GO DIRECT. Flying into Provo is not the problem on Saturdays--it's the afternoon departures that are the nightmares your mother warned you about.. Flying(departures) out of Provo Sunday are only bad, again for afternoon departures. Your direct flight @ 10AM presents no problems. Now, just a matter of trying to get those coveted direct R/T air tickets for under $550? DR. JIM

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Philadelphia (or Baltimore) to PLS

Dr Jim, pretty sure Tara means 10am leaving Philly, not Provo.

Tara, I'm always checking US Air fares out of Philly, it's tough to say sometimes as far as price dropping. I noticed the outbound flight on 5/24 is pretty full and your trip is only 3 months away. Could happen, but I wouldn't count on it. $607 is not that bad for non-stop. I've seen them a lot higher. It's nice that we have the option of United out of Newark living in eastern PA. They generally have better fares than US Air and fly during the week.

If the difference of non-stop and a 5 hour layover is $100 or less, to me that is definitely worth the extra money. We have done both and non-stop is a no-brainer. Customs at Philly International are a breeze.

We're flying Easter week out of Philly and I paid $525 way back in May (the most we've ever spent on a Provo flight). That price only gradually went higher and I was happy to book when I did.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Philadelphia (or Baltimore) to PLS

With that beautiful empty airport right there at MDT why travel elsewhere for a flight? Try MDT to CLT to PLS.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Philadelphia (or Baltimore) to PLS

Good point WWH. Flights from MDT are $780 per person. Factor in the time driving to Philly, paying for parking, plus gas and tolls. Something to consider for sure.

Boston...
Level Contributor
758 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Philadelphia (or Baltimore) to PLS

Book the non-stop and spend 3-4 of the "layover hours" walking the beach or having a meal waterfront before leaving instead.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,026 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from Philadelphia (or Baltimore) to PLS

BWI usually has cheaper flights.

We have to pay for parking regardless, connecting from DC is soooo much fun!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from Philadelphia (or Baltimore) to PLS

We booked!! We got round trip nonstop flights for $557pp. We decided on Philly. I looked into flying out of Harrisburg again, but it ended up being ~$400 more for both of us. Parking/gas/tolls will be half of that, so we will suck it up and do the drive unfortunately!!

We have only flown out of BWI. Flights have been significantly cheaper out of there and we like the airport. Its also a little closer for us. I have never flown out of Philly and have heard mixed reviews. The flights though out of BWI involved layovers and getting there later. They were also a little more. We have never come across that with them before.

Excited to have accommodations and flights checked off our list!! Next...car rental then excursions. Getting more excited!!

Thanks again everyone for your help!!

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights from Philadelphia (or Baltimore) to PLS

Nice! Glad to see the rates dropped for you. We have flown out of Philly many times and you will be fine. As I've said, we've never seen a line going through customs when arriving home.

We always use Priceline to get a room at the airport on the night before. I've paid $48 for the Four Points Sheraton on our last couple trips. It sure beats having to leave the house early in the morning. Something to consider.

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights from Philadelphia (or Baltimore) to PLS

We fly out of Philly most of the time. We only live 45 minutes away so we don't get a hotel, but we always park at the Park & Jet. You can get 14 days of parking with a night at the Clarion hotel.

We find that we get to the terminal quicker parking here than parking at the Economy lot in the airport. That shuttle takes forever!!

Don't forget to pick up your favorite liquor at duty free before your flight!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights from Philadelphia (or Baltimore) to PLS

Thanks for the advice!! We will definitely be looking at a hotel for the night before where we can leave our car. It's too long of a drive for the day of. I will check Priceline and the Clarion. ...and we will definitely be hitting up the duty free before we go!!