We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on Exumas compared to North

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Topic
Thoughts on Exumas compared to North

Before I jump over to the Exumas forum, I wanted to get some input from my fellow TCI lovers. We have been going to Provo and North annually for the last 4 years; however, in planning a trip for next year I am thinking of switching it up a bit. The villa we usually stay at on North is booked when we will likely be going and to be honest I feel a bit wary with the robbery that happened on North.

In any case, the Exumas have always peaked my interest. I wondered if any of you had input on the Exumas and lodging options for a family of 5. Again, we usually stay on North, so we tend to prefer quiet and isolated. My husband also has a captain's license, so renting a boat and exploring is something we'd love to do. I feel like a traitor for even looking, but want to have another option if we can't stay on North again. Thanks.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on Exumas compared to North

You are forgiven taking your 4 boys to Exumas with this one Hail Mary pass. I am dragging my 4 girls back to Paradise including their 7th return to visit North Caicos. However, once you get there--NO remorse about what you could have had? Just be sure to post your trip report in the correct forum? Now, you will be pretty eager for that return to Paradise in 2015. No animus intended. DR. JIM

Pryor, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
517 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on Exumas compared to North

I'm going to Provo in October, but we are planning on visiting Exuma in 2015.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,694 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on Exumas compared to North

I love Exumas! One of my Favs. Gorgeous beaches, maybe even prettier than some in TCI? (did I just say that?)

You have to rent a boat at some point, to travel through the amazing cays.

If you pick Exumas, you have to pick one side or other, hard to combine both sides in 1 trip.

Great Exuma has gorgeous cays, Stocking Island with Sunday pig roasts, just gorgeous.

Staniel Cay has over the water bungalows, a cay with swimming pigs, and Thunderball Ghrotto where they filmed a James Bond scene.

It has a really nice laid back Bahamian air about it.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on Exumas compared to North

We just returned from Great Exuma. There are so many accommodation

options. There are many cottages on there own secluded beaches. Check out VRBO. I was overwhelmed. :)

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on Exumas compared to North

We stayed there before we stumbled onto TCI about 11-12 years ago and they are beautiful. We quit going there in the winter because it is a little cooler (both air and water) and we went looking for something just a little further South.

The rest is history. : )

I can understand the robbery spooking you, I was surprised to read it too. You won't be escaping the possibility of it in the Exumas though, unfortunately.

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on Exumas compared to North

Thanks blamona for the input...am thinking IF we go, Great Exuma may be the best option. The beaches do look incredible!! Am looking at VRBO as we speak. Didn't think about the cooler weather Joebwan, and really do hate to not go to North. However, I don't know if we can get the same house for when we can go with the kids. I feel like if we stayed somewhere else there we'd always be saying "it's not the same" since we have our routine down :)

We will see....lots to ponder.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
511 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on Exumas compared to North

Hi 3boys,

We've never been to Exuma but our first trip south was to Eleuthera, which is slightly more North than Exuma. We went at Christmas, and most days by 4 we were putting our pants and windbreakers on. Thankfully the rental had wetsuits because its the only way we could stay in the water for any amount of time.

If you do decide to go, my advice would be to rent a place on the Caribbean side of the island and not the Atlantic side. The rental we got on Eleuthera was on the Atlantic side. We'd leave the rental wearing our pants, drive into Governor's Harbour, and walk around sweating because it was at least 10 degrees warmer.

The snorkeling was great though.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on Exumas compared to North

We also love the Exumas (will be back this fall). As Blamona indicated there is a great 007 Thunderball tour.....fun to see those swimming pigs! So many great beaches there as well!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts on Exumas compared to North

Do any of those swimming pigs end up @ the Sunday pig roasts? DR. JIM

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts on Exumas compared to North

Thanks Iron_Ring...I definitely don't want to have to put on a jacket, although coming from the Northeast in the winter I'm sure my kids wouldn't care. I will have to see what the average temps are for Feb/March.

DR JIM...haha. I sure hope they don't end up at the pig roasts :) . Maybe if my middle son saw how cute they were swimming he would think twice about loving bacon so much.