We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Vacation Destination! Help needed! :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
193 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
New Vacation Destination! Help needed! :)

Good morning everyone! I need a new vacation destination and T&C is at the top of my list. Now I just have to start the research knowing very little about this destination. I am hoping that you all can help me out as everyone on this website is always able to do!.. :)

A little about me...

I returned from a St. Thomas/St. John trip this past November. It was super hot and super humid but the beaches on St. John were beyond amazing but also super buggy (lots of mosquito's). We ended up renting a condo right on one of the beaches of St. Thomas and I rented a car to drive around both islands and explore (what we love to do best). As far as the tropics, aside from USVI I have been to a few different area's in Mexico and I typically either rent a condo or stay at a small boutique no frills type of hotel. (No all inclusives) Relaxing on the beach and exploring is the most important as well as finding great local dining spots! Snorkeling is a plus!

I like to vacation either right before or right after the "high" seasons so that we miss most of the crowds and hopefully receive a cheaper rate on our hotel stay.

I typically stay anywhere from 7-10 days on my vacations.

Can you guys/gals point me in somewhat of a direction to start with this info? Time of year I want to visit? Places to stay no more than $150 a night similar to what I have mentioned above? Is this doable or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks so much in advance!..

:-)

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Vacation Destination! Help needed! :)

For your budget of 150 a night, beachfront will be hard to come by even off peak. My suggestion is to contact Val and his team at:

http://turksandcaicosreservations.com/

He and his team live on island and will find you the best deals at no cost to you. For your first visit, this is where you should start.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Vacation Destination! Help needed! :)

T&C is an expensive island in general. I can't think of any place that would be $150/night within walking distance of a beach. There are only 2 AIs on Provo (the main tourist island & where flights go in & out). Most resorts are small, condo-style places with varying degrees of amenities. I highly recommend renting as car for part or all of your stay. Grace Bay is the main beach, but there are many other gorgeous beaches to explore - Taylor Bay, Leeward, Bight & Smith Reef for snorkeling, Sapodilla Bay etc.

High season is Dec-end of April. Not many bugs as it's a very flat, scrubby island. Food is very expensive...think Whole Foods prices +30% for non-organic foods.

For pricing, I second the suggestion of Turks & Caicos Reservations. Some budget options (which are not on the beach) include: Ports of Call Resort, Caribbean Paradise Inn, Grace Bay Suites or the Atrium.

Recommended car rental companies with the most competitive rates are: Grace Bay Car Rentals & Avis. Budget has a pretty bad reputation on the island.

Good luck in your research! Great island, but definitely not an inexpensive one!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
193 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Vacation Destination! Help needed! :)

Sounds good! I was not saying that something on the beach is necessary! We were just lucky to get a condo on the beach in St. Thomas!

Pryor, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
518 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Vacation Destination! Help needed! :)

There are places within walking distance to the beach in that budget. It won't be like the high end resorts on the beach, but they will be decent. You may want to check Inn at Grace Bay, Grace Bay Suites, Island Club, and Ports of Call. There are also some 2 bed condos near the Graceway IGA. Sorry, I can't remember the name of them. Blamona may wander along and see this, she knows the name and says they are really nice inside.

Texas
Level Contributor
592 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Vacation Destination! Help needed! :)

Read camke's post, "Pictures & New Likes" (excerpt pasted below)... Inn at Grace Bay (condo style) might fit your budget & is close walk to beach:

I was very impressed with the Inn at Grace Bay... check it out if you need a few extra nights, or an affordable place to stay. Not right on the beach, but a very short walk. It's located next to the new LeVele Plaza which only has Shay's Café as occupants at the moment, and walking distance to Regent Plaza, and Salt Mills Plaza. Very large one bedroom condo units. Comfortable king size beds, full kitchen, washer/dryer clean, clean, clean, almost afraid to mention this place the prices are so reasonable. www.innatgracebay.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
193 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Vacation Destination! Help needed! :)

Grace Bay Inn looks adorable! And the pricing is within my budget during "summer MAY 1/2014 – OCT 31/2014". What's the weather like out there?

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,719 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New Vacation Destination! Help needed! :)

The weather is so good, Gracie's waters are the warmest(mid-80's--while Lake Michigan's is a chilly 68-70), and those room rates are great(lowest) that my family of 5 is nowhere to be found for 2 weeks back in in the States except Oceanfront on Grace Bay the 7th year(mid-August) in a row. Now I got a good idea what the weather's going to be like back home and I am not going to be there to experience that. DR. JIM

8. Re: New Vacation Destination! Help needed! :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 11:37
nj
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Vacation Destination! Help needed! :)

Have you checked the Sibonne. It is a cute little place where Bay Bistro is located and right on the beach.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
193 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Vacation Destination! Help needed! :)

Sibonne is adorable too! Thank you! Great possibilities!