We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Caicos questions

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
North Caicos questions

Hi all, Looking to travel to North Caicos in a few weeks and have a few questions --

1) Safety for two females in our 30s? I see the beaches all look pretty secluded and remote which is a big appeal in terms of scenery and relaxation, but any concerns we should have about being so isolated?

2) Do we need a rental car? We'll only be there for a few days, and the condo we are borrowing from a family member is at Whitby beach area to my understanding, but we'd probably like to explore a little more (and it looks like we can drive to Middle Caicos also?). If bikes are available are the beaches biking distance apart? (we are both in shape, several miles of bikeriding would be fine)

3) Are the ferries from Provo pretty reliable? Again, we only have a few days, so I want to maximize time on the beach and minimize stressful travel issues/transfers.

4) Is it easy to get a taxi or bus from the Provo airport to the ferry landing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: North Caicos questions

The ferry is very dependable and you will want a rental car to explore the island.

Safety is not a real issue, very low crime rates there.

I have been to Provo and North many times and love it there.

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: North Caicos questions

http://www.easycarrentalnc.com/rates.html

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,704 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: North Caicos questions

First time I have seen vehicle rental rates from North Caicos posted. Now I know who and what vehicle(high clearance one) I want for all of my 4 girls in August. DR. JIM

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,834 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Caicos questions

It's very safe, and a slow, sleepy island. I can't say there is no crime, but you should feel comfortable on the deserted beaches.

Whitby is a long beach and each beach area is a continuation of what is on Whitby. You can walk in each direction for miles. A car is good to have but if your condo has bikes it's an easy place to get around if you are in ok shape.

The ferry is very good, and you can get a taxi to the marina from the airport. It will cost about $40 for two of you.

I am guessing you are already aware that it is a pretty undeveloped place and the food stores are very basic. Some people get a little culture shock, but if it is pure relaxation and beauty you are looking for you are going to the right place.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
7 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Caicos questions

Great little island. Quiet and relaxing....don't look for nightlife or sophisticated dining. This is a place for relaxation and chilling!

Ferry is fast and great fun. There are a couple of car hire opportunities on the island but can sell out so try and book before you arrive. Great drive from North to Middle Caicos......just as quaint. Look up the old plantation on north....ruins but a slice of the past.

If self catering, I suggest a visit to IGA on the Leeward Highway for groceries en route to the ferry. Small selection of staples on the island shops.

Enjoy.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Caicos questions

Thanks to all for the helpful responses. Looking forward to our stay.

Does anyone know of a place on North Caicos to get massages? Doesn't have to be resort-style fancy, if it is a good (and reputable) massage service. Thanks!

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,834 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Caicos questions

No therapists on North to my knowledge, and no resort style fancy anything here. However, the next island to the West is Parrot Cay, which happens to have a world class spa if you are interested. They will come and get you and take you on the under 5 minute ride over. We have done that a few times from here. It's $100 each just to come to the island, spa services are extra...

http://www.comohotels.com/parrotcay

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,704 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: North Caicos questions

There is so much to see on North/Middle Caicos, so vehicle rental would be the most effective form(time wise) of transport. It's too far of distances involved using bikes. DR. JIM

Ottawa
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: North Caicos questions

Generally very safe on North; my wife and I go there 3 ~ 4 times a year and love it. However, I do recommend using some common sense with your rental as there has been some petty crimes in the last few years. Lock-up when you leave, and lock up any possible entry points at night, don't leave valuables in plain sight, etc.

10. Re: North Caicos questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:17