We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving violations

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving violations

Just wanted to give a friendly warning to everyone renting cars...the police are cracking down on speeding and the fines are pretty hefty from what we were told. Be safe and happy travels :-)

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving violations

The Royal Turks and Caicos police recently received 3 brand new fully equipped police Ford Explorers....... Guess they need to pay for them somehow. Just Talkin!

Devon, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving violations

Yes indeed,article in weekly paper on this...looks like they got new cars and with tax shot down,it's attack the tourist time for speeding..look at these numbers collected last 3 months..

"He said that records show that prior to the $20,000 plus made recently, the month before that the treasury made $19,500 and $17,500 the month prior."

Here are the offenses and cost..steep imo..

"Motorists can receive huge fines for speeding while other offences could see them locked up in jail.

If a vehicle is driving one to ten miles above the speed limit the fine is $350 while every further ten miles warrant an extra $350, up to a fine of $1,500.

Dangerous driving is an arrestable offence and those found in breach could face a fine of up to $5,000 or six months in jail.

Meanwhile driving without due care and attention could see the offending motorist paying up to $1,000 or facing three months in jail.

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
881 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving violations

tcweeklynews.com/government-raking-in-thousa…

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving violations

I'd be willing to bet that the police are not citing the taxi drivers who do not stop at the stop sign. Now that would be a lucrative business, at least until t he drivers caught on.

Devon, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving violations

I would be interested to hear from the TA People who were at the get together last week to see if they saw traffic enforcement or if anyone got stopped? comments would be appreciated,heading there in early august with a big group at a villa in long bay and would like to be alerted..

This explains why stop signs showed up last few months and funny thing is,it's probably just the tourist who are stopping at them,which could cause accidents with locals..:)

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving violations

They were stopping folks and handing out citations when I was on island in May, so this isn't anything new.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving violations

yes, I noticed the new Explorers patrolling the all over the Island, their presence was good to see. I had read that were handing out tickets so I drove accordingly....seat belt on, obey traffic signs...etc.....no worries.

maryland
Level Contributor
4,746 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving violations

In march/April there were about 10 officers at the 7* circle handing out tickets right and left. The stretch right near POC also.

Didnt see that much of a presence the last two weeks.

Devon, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving violations

Thanks everyone for the info..not worried at all,because i know it's a great policing tool to catch illegals and keep crime down..just good to know when crack downs are coming,as it's tough converting those kilo to mph on odometers for us tourist,tend to always speed a little..:)...my last 2 trips i saw a total of one policemen on the whole island,so it's weird now to see cars and many out in force..progress for the better imo..

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving violations

I did notice their presence the last 2 weeks of June driving their new vehicles non-stop. It was nice to see the increased patrol. Did not notice them stopping anyone or handing out tickets. Everyone was speeding but they were too. And, at the "optional" stop sign at Suzie Turn, they chose not to stop - blew right through it like a lot of folks. I think they treat it the same as most of the people that live there. If there is no one waiting at Suzie turn, then they do not stop at the stop sign. So, you need to watch in front of you and behind you when you come to the stop signs.